It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

“Why Aren’t You Speaking English?”

page: 33
<< 30  31  32    34  35 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 12:31 AM
link   
reply to post by hotbakedtater

You can't compare negatives and convince one person that one is better than the other, its like saying cigarettes kill more than alcohol. That's fine but both are dangerous and really no one wins in an argument in what kills the least. So leaving Iraq and Afghanistan would save money I get that, but so would not having Illegal immigrants use our hospitals for free. The government has to reimburse the hospital every time that happens so there goes more money that could be spent on better projects.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 12:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Night Star
States with Official English Laws

If your link is correct, you just proved that the US does not have an official language. I am sure you realized that though.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 12:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Kitilani

English is more or less the "official" language, there is no law certifying that is the legal language. However it makes a strong case when all laws are originally wrote and brought into law in the English language.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kitilani

States with Official English Laws

If your link is correct, you just proved that the US does not have an official language. I am sure you realized that though.

Just pointing out that States recognize the importance. It has been the defacto language since we have been the USA. There is a bill that is trying to get english as the official language. The thing is, we never had to fight for it before. It was always understood. Immigrants came here to live, learned and spoke the language.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 01:56 PM
link   
It's all just politics as usual. Even if this law passes it won't change anything.

It won't force any private citizen or business to conduct it's business in whatever language(s) they choose.

It will not outlaw "Press 1 for English".

English is already part of the naturalization process.

It won't even force government to only offer info and forms in english only.

Here's a couple of cherries from the ‘English Language Unity Act of 2011’ that will probably make some mad:

‘Representatives of the Federal Government shall have an affirmative obligation to preserve and enhance the role of English as the official language of the Federal Government. Such obligation shall include encouraging greater opportunities for individuals to learn the English language.

Sounds like government money going to pay for english classes for immigrants.

(c) Practical Effect- This section shall apply to all laws, public proceedings, regulations, publications, orders, actions, programs, and policies, but does not apply to--
‘(1) teaching of languages;
‘(2) requirements under the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act;
‘(3) actions, documents, or policies necessary for national security, international relations, trade, tourism, or commerce;
‘(4) actions or documents that protect the public health and safety;
‘(5) actions or documents that facilitate the activities of the Bureau of the Census in compiling any census of population;
‘(6) actions that protect the rights of victims of crimes or criminal defendants; or ‘(7) using terms of art or phrases from languages other than English.

Right off the bat they make sure it doesn't apply to the services that immigrants (legal or not) are most likely to use.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 02:51 PM
link   
I was kinda expecting this to be a case of the Senator making fun/light of a Spanish-American's heavy accent when speaking English - but they're right, unless using Spanish served some symbolic or point-making purpose (which it isn't) the guy should have told the translator to stay at home and T-R-I-E-D. I'm pretty sure his case (that being pro-immigration, surely) would have had more feeling and effect upon the audience had he been conveying it in even the most broken English.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by kozmo
He knows English but is more comfortable speaking his "First language". The Senator is correct in his questioning. It is the liberal, politically correct coddling that is crumbling the foundation of this country, among others. Do you know what I do not live in France? Because I cannot speak French. If I needed to live in France, I would certainly learn the language of my host! Failure to do so is simply indicative of ignorance, laziness and a false impression of self-importance.

I was in France this morning, Italy now... You would be surprised how prominent
English is, I am lucky they speak english here! They are way more liberal and coddling here,
I think our problems are other things too, not just librals and mexicans

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kolya
unless using Spanish served some symbolic or point-making purpose

Of course it did, why else would someone fluent in english choose to use an interpreter. It was a person excersizing his rights. Something that many here complain about but never really do anything about.

He has every right to use an interpretor and the law, which the Senator should know, does not prohibit this. So in fact the Senator is wrong.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by aureusleo8
23 years, and he still doesn't know English! That is a spit on the Americans flag, a punch to all our faces, and a perfect representation of either indolence, mental complications, or sheer ignorance. If you move to America--you learn English--if not--all you are doing is dividing this country and desecrating it.

Please explain how that happens. Your statement does not make sense. Deny children medical aid because they are from another country? That is just cruel. What is wrong with you people?

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 12:05 AM
link   
reply to post by earthdude

I think what he is saying is that it is disrespectful to the citizens of this country to not speak English when you want to live here, I don't get why he makes it sound so severe as a lot of immigrants learn English as they live here, but ya know it does not take 23 years to learn English.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 12:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by denynothing
reply to post by Kitilani

English is more or less the "official" language, there is no law certifying that is the legal language.

Then it is not official in any sense of the word. Something cannot be "more or less official" if you know what the word means.

However it makes a strong case when all laws are originally wrote and brought into law in the English language.

You mean "when all laws are originally written and brought..."

My version was in English. What was yours?
edit on 29-6-2011 by Kitilani because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 12:15 AM
link   

Just pointing out that States recognize the importance.

Just pointing out the facts to you in return.

It has been the defacto language since we have been the USA. There is a bill that is trying to get english as the official language. The thing is, we never had to fight for it before. It was always understood. Immigrants came here to live, learned and spoke the language.

For as long as you can remember, I am sure that is how it has been. I guess I imagined all those old Chinatowns and Irish only neighborhoods. The Italian langue being plastered all over what is now a little Italy here would say otherwise.

Not speaking English seems to work just fine for most Americans on ATS so you should be able to get over what other people are doing just fine.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 02:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Janky Red

Originally posted by kozmo
He knows English but is more comfortable speaking his "First language". The Senator is correct in his questioning. It is the liberal, politically correct coddling that is crumbling the foundation of this country, among others. Do you know what I do not live in France? Because I cannot speak French. If I needed to live in France, I would certainly learn the language of my host! Failure to do so is simply indicative of ignorance, laziness and a false impression of self-importance.

I was in France this morning, Italy now... You would be surprised how prominent
English is, I am lucky they speak english here! They are way more liberal and coddling here,
I think our problems are other things too, not just librals and mexicans

Well, I live in France, and I speak french.....now. When I moved here I didn't speak a word, and it took me many years to learn. Despite that, I had no problem getting a "carte de séjour" (like a green card). I didn't want to take the french nationality for a long time (ten years) because I was under the false impression that the US would take away my american nationality. But when I found out that wasn't true and decided to request french nationality, I was interviewed to test if my french was good enough.

Kids often take english classes, though as adults, most don't retain a thing. In Paris or other big cities they might speak english, but in less metropolitan areas, no one does.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but the Original Post was about a Texas Senator chastising someone who was speaking in Spanish...
Maybe my memory is not what it used to be, but I remember reading that the State of Texas Constitution recognizes both English and Spanish as official languages of the State.
If that is so, it is another reason why the State Senator is wrong...
Apologies if the point was made before. It is a LOOOONG thread.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kitilani

Just pointing out that States recognize the importance.

Just pointing out the facts to you in return.

It has been the defacto language since we have been the USA. There is a bill that is trying to get english as the official language. The thing is, we never had to fight for it before. It was always understood. Immigrants came here to live, learned and spoke the language.

For as long as you can remember, I am sure that is how it has been. I guess I imagined all those old Chinatowns and Irish only neighborhoods. The Italian langue being plastered all over what is now a little Italy here would say otherwise.

Not speaking English seems to work just fine for most Americans on ATS so you should be able to get over what other people are doing just fine.

I understand about the chinatowns, italians etc. However, we don't have to press one for english, two for Italian or some other langage. we are not forced to learn chinese, Italian or any other language but spanish in order to get hired for some jobs.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 01:47 PM
link   

I understand about the chinatowns, italians etc. However, we don't have to press one for english, two for Italian or some other langage. we are not forced to learn chinese, Italian or any other language but spanish in order to get hired for some jobs.

I sometimes have to press one for spanish and two for english. Many jobs where I live require english and I live in a spanish speaking country. It's happening all over the world and english is the invading language so what's the big deal?

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 09:00 PM
link   
reply to post by daskakik

The big deal for me was when I worked for 8 years having to listen to spanish all day and I felt as though I left my own Country. The problem is that many jobs across the USA are requiring people to speak spanish in order to get hired and support their families. This has only been happening with overwhelming numbers of illegals into our country.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 09:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Night Star

But it is happening world wide and it's mostly english required by employers and most that have to adapt are not complaining like you are.

It's a new world and no amount of complaining is going to change it back. Even that important law making english the official language isn't going to make a difference.

edit on 29-6-2011 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by daskakik

Not good to keep things inside. At least I got it off my chest. I have always welcomed the melting pot of cultures. When you see one taking over all the others it is alarming. Just saying.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 08:18 AM
link   
When I first saw that video I thought it was a fake, surely someone who's been in a country for that long must speak English, but no, not a joke at all.

What people are not really reacting to is that this man is appearing at a US panel, he's a US citizen, although some parts of the US speak Spanish its not the adopted language there and only happens because so many choose not to grasp the language of the land and remain basically in Spanish speaking communes / towns.

We as someone has said have the same issues here in the UK, take my daughters school for instance, more than 50% of her class are NON English speakers, they speak, Arabic, Somalian, Polish or versions of other versions of Russian.

My issue with this is that the parents refuse point blank to speak or learn English, the children are spoken to in their parents language even IF they know some English. Consequences are that those poor kids pick up English less quickly therefore the teaching of subjects takes a step back.

I'm sorry but the 'when in Rome' deal does apply here, try living / working in say Spain with zero Spanish language, you won't last a year or will spend a fortune on translations for every document or pay big bucks to a multi language solicitor.

Of course in the UK the tax payer is landed with the translation fee's..Another stupidity of the UK..

top topics

<< 30  31  32    34  35 >>

join