It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

“Why Aren’t You Speaking English?”

page: 32
<< 29  30  31    33  34  35 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 08:35 PM
link   
We established the language when we conquered our current territory,Speak what you want .
All legal and official information should be in the American language(in true English aluminum sounds funny) we have so many colloquialisms no one could define it anyway.
When I was in Korea I tried to learn what I could or I didn't speak.
What would be the point?
edit on 22-6-2011 by 7thcavtrooper because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 10:18 PM
link   
Why aren't you speaking English? Perhaps he had an English block, like so many English speaking Americans I know. How arrogant, really to, expect someone who has English as a second language to be expected to be proficient in the hardest language to learn, outside of say Chinese or Russian, perhaps.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 10:21 PM
link   
reply to post by daskakik

They create wealth for a small group that exploits them at the expense of everyone else.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 11:27 PM
link   
reply to post by openminded2011

They create a good amount of wealth for the people they work for but they also spend around 80% of their take home pay in the US so they actually help that part of the wealth spread around into american hands. Don't know if the same could be said for their employers.

I agree it's at the expense of the rest but that is by the employers design and politicians help, not the illegals.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 04:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by daskakik
reply to post by neo96

Not sure what you mean but this isn't lost revenue. This is a very fudged amount of wealth created by illegals. Shows why business would rather hire them than US citizens.

What are you saying, that illegals create wealth by being employed by businesses and spending their paychecks on goods and services? Well, if you take into account the free services given to them at hospital ERs, free public education for their anchor babies(because they don't pay taxes), money they send back to Mexico, and other services they get through their networking with Soros funded orgs catering to them(legal stuff, etc) it may turn out to be more of a deficit, especially in lieu of them as non-tax paying entities, and the jobs that legal citizens would acquire, plus the costs related to crimes committed and jail time, etc. it's not particularly wealth creating, unless you are looking at it from a Globalist pov, because Globalists don't care about nationality.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 04:18 AM
link   
reply to post by aorAki

Speak for yourself! What other country can you go to without going through customs? Ever fly to a foreign country? You need a passport! You have to go to a counter and get your passport stamped before they let you in their country. The fact that liberals think that this is all about not liking foreigners, that's just sheer baloney!!!!!!!! It's just that people from Central and S America know they can cross into Az, Texas, and California without detection. It's illegal. Got that? All this business about how they are creating wealth by spending their paychecks is beside the point. The fact that Mexico encourages their Nationals to cross the border legally, and gives them ID cards to help them along shows how belligerent they are and how they are willing to spit on American citizens for gain.
Politicians see them as potential votes. This is part of the corruption as well.
edit on 23-6-2011 by ThirdEyeofHorus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 10:20 AM
link   
reply to post by ThirdEyeofHorus

Don't know if you read the post where I did some calculations (very vague numbers) where even if the money that is spent on services for them and the money that is sent home is subtracted there is still a net gain.

Them not paying taxes has nothing to do with the wealth that is created. Citizens and legal immigrants getting displaced also has nothing to do with it even if we all agree that it's not fair.

Now the numbers are not accurate but as I pointed out before I have never seen those numbers debated anywhere. Anyone got better numbers that include the wealth created and not just what they "cost" the US?

edit on 23-6-2011 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 11:02 AM
link   
you cant do anything about it though because there uninsured or whatever.

Originally posted by gougitousakusha
sending their children to school without knowing a drop of english cost tax dollars. having to have documents translated and printed out just for them cost tax dollars. when someone misreads a traffic sign and slams into a construction worker doing road work it cost more then tax dollars. i have a friend who was hit by an illegal immigrant while crossing at a stop sign, you cant do anything about it though because there uninsured or whatever.

That is where you are wrong, insurance companies have a nifty little coverage called Underinsured/Uninsured Motorist and it's tailored for situations just like this. It's also pretty cheap considering all the people driving around without insurance whether they are legal or not.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by ThirdEyeofHorus
Speak for yourself! What other country can you go to without going through customs? Ever fly to a foreign country? You need a passport!

You can go to just about any country without going through customs if you enter anywhere other than a point of entry. Might mean you have to hike through some rough land, hop a fence or evade some guards. If it's an island country you will have to evade whoever they have watching their shores.

Of course it's illegal. But, if the laws are not being enforced then is it really illegal?

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by daskakik
reply to post by ThirdEyeofHorus

Don't know if you read the post where I did some calculations (very vague numbers) where even if the money that is spent on services for them and the money that is sent home is subtracted there is still a net gain.

Them not paying taxes has nothing to do with the wealth that is created. Citizens and legal immigrants getting displaced also has nothing to do with it even if we all agree that it's not fair.

Now the numbers are not accurate but as I pointed out before I have never seen those numbers debated anywhere. Anyone got better numbers that include the wealth created and not just what they "cost" the US?

12 billion dollars to school illegals
17 billion to school American born children of illegal aliens known as anchor babies
It is federal law to provide free emergency healthcare to those here illegally. Congress has set aside a billion tax payer dollars a year to re-emberse all hospitals.

This does not include welfare benefits, prison costs etc.

Deporation of hard criminals cost tax payers more than eight hundred million dollars.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Night Star

Great but it doesn't include the wealth generated by the illegals so it is still incomplete. You are just pointing out the same old numbers and they still fall way short of the numbers that I came up with. You said you have seen them but you don't offer any proof.

Anchor babies are US citizens until/if the law changes.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   
reply to post by daskakik

You are free to start a thread on the subject. This one is about the english language.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Night Star

Your post was not about the english language so why try to cop out using that excuse. This is where the thread has gone. You stated that you had seen these numbers but still offer no proof.

Illegals don't bother learning the english language because there is no real path to citizenship for them. They know that they can be picked up and sent home at any moment. The feds have to have stats to show the people that they are doing something. Any illegal will do.

It used to be the law that if an illegal could prove they had been in the country a certain number of years and had not been a burden on the state and stayed out of trouble they could file for a change of status so they could become legal, get an SS and contribute. Learning the language logically followed. Why bother if your never going to be allowed to stay anyway?

That's also the reason many have the idea of making money and going home. Why do you demand loyalty when you don't let them pledge allegiance to the flag?

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 07:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vicky32

Originally posted by Scoriada
Seriously? You have been in the country for 23 YEARS and you still feel more comfortable speaking Spanish? You're either LAZY or STUPID or both.

Ma dai! = Japanese language

I am an ESOL teacher, and I speak Italian. I spend 90% of my time communicating with my Italian friends in Italian, but if something is important (as testifying before the 'enemy' would be) I want to use English. It doesn't mean the guy doesn't speak English, (he probably speaks it better than 80% of Americans here, to judge by what I have read tonight *, it probably just means that when arguing before a legal body, he prefers to speak Spanish so he doesn't get misunderstood.
Seriously, except for Sherlock Holmes (great nick!) you're all such truly unpleasant people. You remind me of the ignorant git of a bus driver who yelled at my son's Korean friend as soon as he got on the bus "I'm sick of you bloody Asians coming here with your jabbering ignorant language and you don't know anything!'
The stupid racist man jumped to a conclusion... Jin Koo's English was perfect, even though he had spent the first 8 years of his life in Germany. Yes, he'd grown up in Germany, and was perfectly bilingual.
Conclusion jumping seems a popular sport here...

*1. Diffferent than
2. Would of instead of 'would have'
3. Death steak instead of death stake
4. Idolology instead of idolatry
5. Millinia instead of millennium
That's enough for now.
Sen. Harris must to think why the educational system failed,
more than asking why aren't you speaking in English ?
All the adult immigrants are able to speak English ?
English courses are free for immigrants and are they able to have the access to those lessons ?
If not why ? Are they lazy ? They tried but failed ? Can they have access to the public libraries ? Are there television English courses ? are they following them ? If not why ?
Can they relate with the English speakers ?
Are they integrated in the system can they socialize ? My point of view is NOT. So why not ?
Mr. Antolin wasn't able to have the access to the sources this is the answer.
Sen. Harris can speak Spanish ?

That's why in Italy we have signs written in Italian,French,English and Arab. System failed
I can't understand why foreign people at home or in public are speaking between them in their native language ?

Ma dai !!! per favore.

edit on 17/6/11 by Vicky32 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 06:40 PM
link   
reply to post by hotbakedtater

No no no and no, you may not like this but the official language of America is english. The Freedom of Speech guarantees you the right to speak, but makes no provision on what language can or can not be spoken. If he had been here for a year or maybe 5 I would cut him some slack. English is one of the hardest languages to learn, however he has been here for 23 years and also seems pretty successful as he is testifying in front of a senate. It is rude not to at least attempt to talk in English at an official State proceeding. Being bilingual is a sign of intelligence, not knowing the host country is a sign of laziness and ignorance.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by denynothing

No no no and no, you may not like this but the official language of America is english. The Freedom of Speech guarantees you the right to speak, but makes no provision on what language can or can not be spoken. If he had been here for a year or maybe 5 I would cut him some slack. English is one of the hardest languages to learn, however he has been here for 23 years and also seems pretty successful as he is testifying in front of a senate. It is rude not to at least attempt to talk in English at an official State proceeding. Being bilingual is a sign of intelligence, not knowing the host country is a sign of laziness and ignorance.
While I agree with most of your post I have to point out that English IS NOT the official language in the U.S. yet. Some lawmakers have proposed this but it has never gotten very far.
I guess it isn't politically correct to make immigrants learn the native tongue yet.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Night Star

12 billion dollars to school illegals
17 billion to school American born children of illegal aliens known as anchor babies
It is federal law to provide free emergency healthcare to those here illegally. Congress has set aside a billion tax payer dollars a year to re-emberse all hospitals.

This does not include welfare benefits, prison costs etc.

Deporation of hard criminals cost tax payers more than eight hundred million dollars.

The Cost of War To Taxpayers

Total costs of the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan allocated by Congress to date – which include funding through the end of the current fiscal year on September 30, 2011 – are $1.26 trillion, with $797.3 billion to Iraq and $459.8 billion to Afghanistan. These figures include both military and non-military spending such as reconstruction. Spending includes only incremental costs – those additional funds that are expended due to the war. For example, soldiers' regular pay is not included but combat pay is included. Potential future costs, such as future medical care for soldiers and veterans wounded in the war, are not included. These figures also do not include additional interest payments on the national debt that will result from higher deficits due to war spending.

Let's get some perspective.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by denynothing

Official government link to the official United States language, please and thank you. I bet you will not not not and not be able to provide one.

It is also a sign of laziness and ignorance that one dos not realize the man in question is fluent in English. it is a sign of laziness and ignorance to assume the freedom of speech does not apply when the speech is spoken in Spanish.
edit on Mon, 27 Jun 2011 14:53:12 -0500 by hotbakedtater because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 08:46 PM
link   
States with Official English Laws

Alabama (1990)
Alaska (1998)
Arizona (2006)
Arkansas (1987)
California (1986)
Colorado (1988)
Florida (1988)
Georgia (1986 & 1996)
Hawaii (1978)
Idaho (2007)
Illinois (1969)
Indiana (1984)
Iowa (2002)
Kansas (2007)
Kentucky (1984) Louisiana (1812)
Massachusetts (1975)
Mississippi (1987)
Missouri (1998 & 2008)
Montana (1995)
Nebraska (1920)
New Hampshire (1995)
North Carolina (1987)
North Dakota (1987)
Oklahoma (2010)
South Carolina (1987)
South Dakota (1995)
Tennessee (1984)
Utah (2000)
Virginia (1981 & 1996)
Wyoming (1996)
us-english.org...

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 12:28 AM
link   

Where did I say that freedom of speech did not apply to Spanish, all I said is that the 1st amendment guarantees the right to speak but makes no provision on what language can or can not be spoken. I realize the federal government does not have an official language yet, however it is a historical fact that the official language of America is English. It was even chosen in early American times to not convert laws into the other common language of German. You say he is fluent in English, well then he has no excuse to not be speaking in English. It is lazy to say I'm fluent in English but I wont speak to you even though you speak and would make communication easier. Like I said I would understand if he was here for only a little bit, but not for 23 years.
edit on 6/28/2011 by denynothing because: forgot a couple words

edit on 6/28/2011 by denynothing because: I mistook an urban legend for a fact about the German almost being the official language

top topics

<< 29  30  31    33  34  35 >>

join