Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

“Why Aren’t You Speaking English?”

page: 31
<< 28  29  30    32  33  34 >>

join

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 09:17 PM
link   
What I have observed is that a lot of the non English speakers children speak perfect English. If the parents were that hostile to English as a language it seems that they would resist their children learning it but they don't. What does bother me is that it seems that a lot of them want to work here, but spend very frugally and send the lions share of the money they earn home, and have allegiance to their country of origin but not here. There are literally billions of dollars leaving our country never to return. The people who take jobs "nobody wants" collectively send a lot of money out of the US. Its a shame because its devastating our economy. I would rather see people get those jobs who will put the money back into our economy.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 09:54 PM
link   
reply to post by openminded2011

Every single illegal that I worked with sent money home. Many planned on returning to their home country. As far as jobs, they should belong to the citizens. Millions of our citizens are displaced in the workforce. Now there are many jobs that either require you to be bilingual or say that it is helpful. It is because there are too many who refuse to speak the language of this country and they are being catered to.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 10:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by openminded2011
There are literally billions of dollars leaving our country never to return. The people who take jobs "nobody wants" collectively send a lot of money out of the US. Its a shame because its devastating our economy. I would rather see people get those jobs who will put the money back into our economy.

That's not really true. What nobody ever takes into account is the amount of wealth that these people create.

There is no instance where someone keeps all that he creates. If a person makes a million dollars for the company they work for they don't get payed a million dollars. So if these people make X amount you can be sure that the company they are working for are making at least 2X.

When you take this into account plus the fact that these people spend in the US you can't deny that the better part of the wealth that is being created stays in the US.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 10:57 PM
link   
reply to post by daskakik

Das, billions of dollars are spent on illegals for education, healthcare benefits, welfare benefits etc.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 12:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Night Star

No argument here.

Let me see if I could place a guestimation of the amount of wealth created by illegals. I will use the number 10 million. If you argue that there are more than that then the number I come up with will be smaller than the real amount so, even better for my argument.

10,000,000 illegals work 40 hours a week = 400,000,000 hours/week x 52 weeks = 20,800,000,000 hours/year

At minimum wage = $150,800,000,000

This is what they would earn if they worked for minimum wage and not what they create. Right away you will notice that if they sent home 30 billion than they spent or kept 120 billion inside of the united states.

Now using my big old fudge factor of workers only getting half of the wealth that they create then $150,800,000,000 goes into the pockets of those that employ them.

So working on just the minimum wage and 10 million illegals we get $301,600,000,000. All of a sudden that 30 billion they send home doesn't seem like a whole lot. Tack on the amount spent on them that you mentioned and it's still just a fraction.

On top of that, much of the money that gets sent home is used to by american products so some of it does get back.

edit on 22-6-2011 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 12:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by daskakik

No argument here.

Let me see if I could place a guestimation of the amount of wealth created by illegals. I will use the number 10 million. If you argue that there are more than that then the number I come up with will be smaller than the real amount so, even better for my argument.

10,000,000 illegals work 40 hours a week = 400,000,000 hours/week x 52 weeks = 20,800,000,000 hours/year

At minimum wage = $150,800,000,000

This is what they would earn if they worked for minimum wage and not what they create. Right away you will notice that if they sent home 30 billion than they spent or kept 120 billion inside of the united states.

Now using my big old fudge factor of workers only getting half of the wealth that they create then $150,800,000,000 goes into the pockets of those that employ them.

So working on just the minimum wage and 10 million illegals we get $301,600,000,000. All of a sudden that 30 billion they send home doesn't seem like a whole lot. Tack on the amount spent on them that you mentioned and it's still just a fraction.

On top of that, much of the money that gets sent home is used to by american products so some of it does get back.

edit on 22-6-2011 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

Those are jobs that belong to American citizens. Illegals cost us billions of dollars. American citizens could be making the money that these illegals are making if they wern't displacing them in the workforce.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 12:23 AM
link   

its 3 times that near 1 trillion dollars lost in revenue to the local economies and federal tax dollars.

30+ million illegals in this country altho i cant figure out how they get that number its not like a census worker goes up to everyone door and asks "hey are you here legally?"

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 09:00 AM
link   

Yeah but american companies are making part of that money and other americans are making money from what they spend. I'm just pointing out that there are numbers that no one ever talks about which easily offsets all the negative numbers that get tossed around.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 09:02 AM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Not sure what you mean but this isn't lost revenue. This is a very fudged amount of wealth created by illegals. Shows why business would rather hire them than US citizens.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 09:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by daskakik

Yeah but american companies are making part of that money and other americans are making money from what they spend. I'm just pointing out that there are numbers that no one ever talks about which easily offsets all the negative numbers that get tossed around.

I have seen these numbers debated. The numbers in no way offset the negative numbers. If they were such a benefit to us, Americans all across the USA woudn't be against illegal immigration.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 09:24 AM
link   

I have never seen these numbers debated. Can you post an example?

Of course Americans across the nation are against it, they are not a benefit for the american workforce they are a benefit for american businesses. They are just pawns in class warfare. If you stand back at look at it for what it is you will see that although they are the reason many americans are out of work they are not the reason why the economy is tanking, if that is even true.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Scoriada
A texas senator asked a man speaking Spanish during a committee testimony.

During committee testimony this week in Austin, a Texas senator interrupted a Spanish speaker and telling him he should "be speaking in English" during a committee hearing.
Antolin Aguirre of the Austin Immigrant Rights Coalition was testifying against Senate Bill 9 that would help crack down on illegal immigrants in Texas. Aguirre spoke through an interpreter even though he had been in the U.S. since 1988.
Two minutes into Antolin Aguirre’s testimony, Sen. Chris Harris, a Republican from Arlington, interrupted asking Aguirre’s interrupter, "Did I understand him correctly that he has been here since 1988?" Harris asked. "Why aren’t you speaking in English then?"
Read more: www.ktrh.com...

Personally I believe the Senator is absolutely correct in his questioning. The lazy [snip] testifying should have learned English by now.

Mod Edit: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.
edit on 17-6-2011 by Gemwolf because: (no reason given)

Maybe all the immigrants who came to America should have learned the Native tongue of all the different tribes that were here prior to them? Now that's something to ponder upon.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Listen... After 20 years living in a country.. you need to speak the language...

If in Spain.. Speak Spanish... if in the USA speak English.. If you run away from everything... Speak French...

It's that simple...

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 07:07 PM
link   
If you come to another country,legally or illegally,to live or just work,you should learn the language...otherwise stay home

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Night Star

Das, billions of dollars are spent on illegals for education, healthcare benefits, welfare benefits etc.

Billions of dollars are spent on illegal wars too. Would you rather money be spend helping people, or harming people?

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 07:14 PM
link   
reply to post by aorAki

Helping CITIZENS

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 07:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Homedawg

Nope, not just citizens, people. Part of the problem of all of this is that we are inherently greedy, suspicious and xenophobic....or Yes, citizens. Citizens of the Planet, not some biased, redneck human construct.
Change happens and you can either regale against it and try to maintain your perception of the status quo, or you can embrace it, accept it and enjoy it.

Personally, I'm glad I live in a country with three official languages (how many official languages are there in the Federal United States?
) and it doesn't bother me if someone speaks Maori, English, or Sign. Heck, it doesn't bother me when people speak Samoan, Tongan, Fijian, Mandarin, Cantonese, Vietnamese, French, Japanese, Korean, Indian, Somali, Farsi, Southlandish or Strine. It reminds me that we are all inhabitants of this planet, that we have manufactured borders that are essentially meaningless apart from being methods of control and subjugation and that we are all here together.

We can either choose to accept that there is difference and celebrate these differences, or, as the inimitable George W. Bush said :" You're either with us or against us".
That statement was a vile goading into uniformity and fear and it applies as well now.
Accept, the differences. Learn another language. Stop being so xenophobic.

Finally, the person was afforded an interpreter. That was their right? So, where's the problem?
Oh, that's right, they're lazy, stinky, different people. They must be expunged from our ranks ...exterminate, exterminate.

edit on 22-6-2011 by aorAki because: strine...strewth cobber.
edit on 22-6-2011 by aorAki because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 08:11 PM
link   
reply to post by aorAki

You cannot help illegals at the expense of an American citizen. What good is it to help them if it displaces the poor citizen struggling to care for his family?

Hundreds of languages are spoken here yet all cultures have learned the english language in order to live here. There is no reason we should cater to just the spanish speaking population. English has been the one language to unite us all.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 08:14 PM
link   
reply to post by queenofsheba

"Maybe all the immigrants who came to America should have learned the Native tongue of all the different tribes that were here prior to them?" They could have but like our spanish speaking friends, evidentally they refused.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 08:31 PM
link   
23 years, and he still doesn't know English! That is a spit on the Americans flag, a punch to all our faces, and a perfect representation of either indolence, mental complications, or sheer ignorance. If you move to America--you learn English--if not--all you are doing is dividing this country and desecrating it.

new topics

top topics

<< 28  29  30    32  33  34 >>

join

Help ATS Recover with your Donation.
read more: Help ATS Recover With Your Contribution