It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

“Why Aren’t You Speaking English?”

page: 26
<< 23  24  25    27  28  29 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96

yeah so what?

one continent isnt enough lets make it two.

nah

and really if the founders were still alive today you can be your butt theyd have something to say on the matter

Just because there are many cultures, and many languages that Americans speak doesn't mean it will become two continents, and the Founding Fathers CLEARLY spoke their minds on this matter when they said that the English speaking academy John Adams wanted to establish was a threat to individual liberty and wasn't accepted...
edit on 18-6-2011 by ElectricUniverse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by pplrnuts
Any "Legal" immigrants should be given a MAXIMUM of 2 years residency in America to which they are required to submit to official testing conducted by the state on their proficiency of the ENGLISH language.

Failure to successfully PASS such a written and verbal test should result in being KICKED the heck out of the country, no exceptions whatsoever.

Learn the language or get the HECK out lazy people!!! PERIOD.

Sure, and like I said, ALL Americans, even those who were born here, should pass a written English exam, if they don't understand the difference between were, we are/we're, or where, and they don't understand not only contractions but can't write properly the written English language they should ALL be KICKED the heck out of this country, no exceptions allowed...

Learn to write the language or get the HECK out lazy people!!! PERIOD...

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 08:04 PM
link   
reply to post by ElectricUniverse

www.us-english.org...

There never was a deliberate decision against making English the official language of the United States. With English as the language of the Constitution, the Founding Fathers, and the vast majority of the population, a declaration of English as our official language may have seemed superfluous. Quite simply, it may not have occurred to them to do so.

The founders took it for granted that English was the language of this country. John Jay, in The Federalist No 2, wrote “With equal pleasure I have as often taken notice, that Providence has been pleased to give this one connected country, to one united people; a people descended from the same ancestors, speaking the same language….”

Since the overwhelming majority of the American population at the time of the Constitutional Convention spoke English, the founders may not have thought it necessary to declare in law what existed in fact.

guess they should have

It also bears noting that in 1811, President James Madison signed the Louisiana Enabling Act, establishing the conditions under which Louisiana could become a state. One of the requirements was that “the laws which such state may pass shall be promulgated and its records of every description shall be preserved, and its judicial and legislative written proceedings conducted in the language in which the laws and the judicial and legislative written proceedings of the United States are now published and conducted.”

hindsight is always 20/20

they never foresaw language ever becoming an issue they in fact took it as a given that people would be taught and speak english
edit on 18-6-2011 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 08:04 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

And? The US as we know it, wasn't forged by the efforts of English immigrants alone. The combined efforts of people of all cultures and backgrounds allowed the US to become a thriving nation in the new world.
Now..because I've stated earlier that I don't believe in entitlements...I'm not going to say that we should cater to non-English speaking immigrants, because English is the dominant language in the US... but once again, America is driven by corporatism. Therefore..any markets that refuse to cater to these immigrants will lose out on them.
The concept is quite simple...Why don't people understand?
If you don't like it...then maybe you should try making English the official language (even though it's never going to happen)...

edit on 18-6-2011 by laiguana because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 08:07 PM
link   

The founders took it for granted that English was the language of this country. John Jay, in The Federalist No 2, wrote “With equal pleasure I have as often taken notice, that Providence has been pleased to give this one connected country, to one united people; a people descended from the same ancestors, speaking the same language….”

hindsight is always 20/20

they never foresaw language ever becoming an issue they in fact took it as a given that people would be taught and spoke english
edit on 18-6-2011 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

Ohhhh...riiiiight... I get you, I get you... So you just want in the U.S. "a people descended from the same ancestors"... Gotcha...

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 08:08 PM
link   
reply to post by laiguana

those people acting as one people and one voice made this country.

not selfishness

what part of that can people not understand?

we are one people .

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 08:10 PM
link   
reply to post by ElectricUniverse

actually no you dont since you didnt bother to read anything.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 08:10 PM
link   
I think people of all cultural and ethnic backrounds should be able to retain their cultural heritage to any extent they want in their private lives or in ethnic communities. I'm just saying that Americans should be very careful to exclude from these rights, the legislated right to services in any language which is not English.

This is not a cultural, racial or ethnic issue at it's heart. It is a political issue.

Legislating multilingual rights to services of any kind is politically hazardous to national unity. We had to do it in Canada for very strong historical and demographic reasons, but it was extremely hazardous to do it . . and we are not out of the woods yet.

It is a national weakness that is exploitable by foreign powers and in the case of Canada, numerous attempts have been made to exploit the weakness. Some of these attempts were actually foiled by the careful and patriotic vigilence of heroic french canadians who could see the danger to the nation.

Take heed America. This is a serious issue.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 08:19 PM
link   
reply to post by ipsedixit

I'm just saying that Americans should be very careful to exclude from these rights, the legislated right to services in any language which is not English.

Should is the key word. However, the reality is that government caters to those who don't speak English. And until they do that, I really don't see what the big deal is about this man speaking Spanish when many government agencies do it everyday.

Se habla Espanol.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 08:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by jam321
I really don't see what the big deal is about this man speaking Spanish when many government agencies do it everyday.

Se habla Espanol.

The difficulties involved with the encroachment of a language which is not English into the United States are hard to see, but believe me they are manifold. In a nutshell it provides an avenue of malevolent influence for any foreign power wishing to instigate trouble in the United States using US citizens as the instruments of aggrevation.

Professor John Bosher wrote about foreign influence on an ethnic community in the Canadian context in his book:

www.abcbookworld.com...

The Gaullist Attack on Canada, 1967–1997 (Montréal, McGill-Queen's University Press, Décembre 1998) 330 pp. [paperback edition, with corrections and a new second preface, was published in March 2000]

Creating another linguistic community in the US with official rights of any sort is asking for trouble.

edit on 18-6-2011 by ipsedixit because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 08:30 PM
link   
It's their country now. Unemployment rocks.

Sorry if this shocks anyone but, someone told them they don't have to learn english.
I thought this was obvious.

edit on 18-6-2011 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

edit on 18-6-2011 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 08:37 PM
link   

not selfishness

we are one people .

Whaaat?

How is it selfish to be bilingual? I don't think this issue has anything to do with monolinguals wanting everyone to unite under the same umbrella and sing kumbaya.
It probably has more to do with underlying xenophobic sentiment..and that they feel threatened by those who speak more than one language.
It's not their fault..they're just stubborn to accept change. And you know what happens to those that are afraid to adapt? They lose. They lose badly....That is a rudimentary principle of nature. Natural selection if you will.
E pluribus unum? Ha! Only if it suites your agenda...

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 08:42 PM
link   

blah blah xeonphobic closed minds.

those founders and the people who followed them did one thing that people of today just cant seem to do or want to do.

from the victory of the revolutionary war those people were no longer english,irish, or the myraid of other labels

they threw off their old selves and took a new name a proud name AMERICANS and became one of the greatest people this world has ever known.

ask anyone today what they are they are either irish,italian.polish,japanese,chinese etc the last thing they ever refer to themselves is AMERICAN.

AMIERICAN has become a dirty word in this country and people do not seek to cast off their old selves they seek to make this country in their own image instead of becoming one of us.

i hail from ireland but that doesnt make me irish the only thing i am is a American.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 08:58 PM
link   

not selfishness

we are one people .

Right, and only YOUR culture and YOUR language should be allowed in this country, but all others should not be allowed, except maybe German, Dutch, and such...

We are one nation of MANY PEOPLE with MANY CULTURES, and MANY LANGUAGES.

Yes people should learn English but it has gotten out of hand how so many "gringos" want legal immigrants to speak English like they do...and if Americans like myself have an accent that such "gringos" don't like, or we can't speak perfect English we are told to "learn English or leave"...

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 09:06 PM
link   

actually no you dont since you didnt bother to read anything.

I read it and I understood it quite well...

Unfortunately back then there were some Founding fathers who were racist. The Native Americans were not seen as humans but rather as animals, same for black people, and anyone else who wasn't of Anglo-saxon or Norman descent.

You made it quite clear what your goal is when you yourself excerpted this part.

Since neither Native Americans, hispanics nor black people have the same ancestors as the Anglo-saxons which constituted the citizens from the 13 original colonies it is quite clear what you are saying.

(I changed people for citizens, since black people and Native Americans are and were people but they were not considered citizens back then.)

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 09:30 PM
link   
I understand the man has a right to speak in whichever tongue he likes. That is his right as an American citizen.
However, it's not a legal issue we're debating. It's an issue of what is proper and considered respectful. A man who has been a citizen of a different country for 23 years should have a firm grip on the language by that point. If the man is assimilated enough to attend legal procedings then he obviously cares enough to be respectful to those he is addressing. He should have spoken in English as a sign of solidarity. I find his refusal to speak English to be disrespectful as well. If he spoke English it would show that he's putting in effort, not falling back on what's natural.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Since the overwhelming majority of the American population at the time of the Constitutional Convention spoke English, the founders may not have thought it necessary to declare in law what existed in fact.

guess they should have

And how many times this point should be addressed?

In fact it was TRIED when in 1780 John Adams wanted to establish an official academy devoted to English, but it was rejected by the Continental Congress as a threat to Individual Freedom.

English is an official language of at least 50 countries. None of those countries is the United States of America. Are you surprised? The U.S. has never had an official language. At the very beginnings of the nation, in 1780, John Adams proposed an official, government sponsored academy of the English language. According to an ACLU briefing paper, the proposal was "rejected as undemocratic and a threat to individual liberty" by the Continental Congress. The Founding Fathers apparently saw the use of ancestral languages as a right, and didnt want the country to have a single official language, just as it has no official religion.

www.associatedcontent.com...

I disagree with ACLU on other things, but on this I agree. Just like I can disagree with the Founding Fathers of this nation in some things, such as the fact that black people and Native Americans were not seen as citizens or as human back then, but I agree in others.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 09:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by lpowell0627

Lastly, since the United States was top dog in the world, many countries made learning English a priority in order to do business with us. However, when the US officially falls, and gets replaced with another country (China?), I believe you will find that English gets replaced as the mandatory language to learn and is replaced with Chinese, or whatever language the new top dog speaks.

Self-important much? Or are you talking about just the USA?
There are many other English speaking countries in the world.
Except militarily, the USA hasn't been 'top dog' for a very long time.
Since Friday when I was last here the thread has grown to 26 pages, all very repetitive, and to me, most of the contributors seem to be a bunch of Homer Simpsons!
When most of you can't use the English language yourselves (alot being a great example, and of course the 'different than' or worse 'different then's scattered through out all the posts, then you have a brass cheek telling anyone else to 'learn English or get out!'
What part of he was giving legal testimony and spoke in Spanish with an interpreter in order to make sure that he said what needed saying, do you Cletuses not get? I'd love to see all of you whisked off to, say, Argentina for 5 years then asked to do the same thing he did! I can almost guarantee none of you would speak a word of Spanish, except perhaps "Tráeme una cerveza y un hot dog, hijo!'
(I've heard many times about American doctors or other scientists working in Third World countries, for 10 years sometimnes, relying on their Dutch or Italian nurses to translate for them, as the Europeans have learned Swahili (for instance) but the Americans are too arrogant or to lazy to do so...
Vicky

edit on 18/6/11 by Vicky32 because: To add something...

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 09:57 PM
link   
This essay is very important, and more so for those Americans who are ignorant on the history of this nation, yet they want to change the nation into something not even the Founding Fathers agreed to do.

English Only

Language has always been an important part of a country's culture and way of life. When the U.S. was founded, it was common to hear as many as 20 languages spoken along with many documents that were printed in different languages. There have been many debates over establishing a national language, and a movement arose that strives to establish English as the nation's official language. This movement is known as the "English Only" movement, and it "promotes the enactment of legislation that restricts or prohibits the use of languages other than English by government agencies and, in some cases, by private businesses" (ALCU). Many people whom support the "English Only" movement believes that multilingualism is too costly and inefficient for the government to operate in. Making English as an official language will have little day-to-day effect on the population and their lifestyles or private lives. They believe that declaring English as the official language is the fairest way to handle over 300 languages spoken in the U.S. (LIA).

Many people support multilingualism and oppose having English as an official language because it is unfair to individuals who are not fluent in English. Also, they create false stereotypes of immigrants and non-English speakers. They conclude that it violates the diversity embodied in our Constitution, creating restrictions and limits instead of protecting individual rights, and it does not help the integration of language minority citizens into the American mainstream.

I personally support keeping the U.S. as a multilingual nation. I feel that the nation is running smoothly enough and it does not need to be changed in that way. There are many nations that hold multiple official languages that run very smoothly. I do not see why it is necessary for our nation to require English to be an official language with more than 30 percent of the nation coming from a different ethnic group or culture. Therefore, I believe that this nation should not enforce English as the official language.

According to James Crawford:

For more than 200 years, Americans have gotten by without declaring English our official language. Congress had never even considered declaring English the nations official language until 1981. The only previous official-language legislation dates back to 1923: a bill designatingAmericanthe national tongue. Americans have traditionally resisted language legislation, beginning in 1780, when John Adams proposed to establish an official Language Academy to set standards for English. This idea was rejected by the Continental Congress as an improper role for government and a threat to individual liberties. There was no English proficiency requirement to become naturalized as a U.S. citizen until 1906 the first major language restriction to be enacted at the federal level.

Before World War I, bilingual education was common in areas where nonanglophone groups enjoyed political clout. During the 19th century, state laws, constitutions, and legislative proceedings appeared in languages as diverse as Welsh, Czech, Norwegian, Spanish, French, and of course, German.

At other times, Americans have imposed restrictive language policies. California rewrote its state constitution in 1879 to eliminate Spanish language rights. In 1897, Pennsylvania made English proficiency a condition of employment in its coal fields, a none-too-subtle way to exclude Italians and Slavs. Security fears during the World War I era led to unprecedented bans on public use of the German language in schools, on the street, during religious services, and even on the telephone. (Crawford)

www.directessays.com...

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 10:25 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Nope but if it is going to end up looking like mexico outside your door whether you like it or not then what are you gonna do about it.

You think the illegals are the real cause of the problems in the US? I think it comes from above. Even the illegals are there because those in charge have made it possible.

top topics

<< 23  24  25    27  28  29 >>

join