It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

“Why Aren’t You Speaking English?”

page: 25
<< 22  23  24    26  27  28 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96

doesnt matter who discovered what what matters is what those people did when they got here.

they built one of the best most prosperous most successful countries in the world.
people think they are better than americans and still come here and dont bother to join the in crowd.

And AGAIN the people who helped build this nation were not ONLY English speakers...they were people from several nations INCLUDING hispanics...

I consider myself an American but I know that American history does not consist ONLY of English speaking cultures, which some people obviously have forgotten and these days these same people want to "banish" cultural differences from the U.S.

I have spoken with "gringos" throughout the states, as my jobs have taken me all over the U.S,, and even thou I have tried my hardest to make them understand me in English there have been times when "gringos" would just spout the same old excuse "learn my damn language" simply because they don't want any cultural differences existing in the U.S., and they just want people who have their "gringo accent" living in the U.S.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 07:02 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

So the europeans taking over north america was not a change?

Change happens wether you accept it or not. What you need to accept is that it isn't good or bad. Even if you don't want to accept it you're powerless to stop it.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 07:08 PM
link   
reply to post by ElectricUniverse

the early years of america indeed alot of europeans came here speaking a multitude of languages but with a critical difference that what is happening in present day america.

they were all too happy and eager to learn english and those who did went further and farther and faster than those who didnt.

some immigrants today want to learn english others dont and they expect others to conform to their needs.

and that cultural diversity is reaching a boiling point.

if they are so better than us why do they come here and expect us to bow down to their wants.

edit on 18-6-2011 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 07:09 PM
link   
reply to post by daskakik

if you think a nations people unable to communicate with each other is a change you want to accept then so be it.

i dont accept it enough people are raping this country and its people taking what they want and leaving the rest.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 07:15 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Again, changes happen whether you think it is for the best or not. What I accept is about as influencial as what you accept. Things are gonna go the way they will regardless.

I'm pretty sure the people really raping the US speak english fluently. Probably all hold degrees from prestigious universities as well.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 07:19 PM
link   
who dosen't know english these days? this is ridiculous

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 07:21 PM
link   
reply to post by daskakik

so i am just suppose to accept that everytime i walk out of my front door i think i am in mexico when i know im not.

ok so people are free to rape this country thanks for clearing that up

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 07:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Common Good
I read your response, and I still think you are missing his point.

I dont know, I watched the video again just now, and it seems to me that the guys English is good enough to understand, at least he is trying to learn.
But the fact that he threw that to the side was his downfall.

Perhaps if you spoke two or more languages you would understand. I speak fluently three languages, and I know that there are days when I am awful at speaking one of my non-native languages. There are times when I have a hard time with some words, other times I can speak it very fluently, so I can understand why this man wanted a translator to speak in English for him. This is a very important issue for him, hence he would make sure he was understood.

You dont win people over by showing disrespect to the very people who control the outcome.

How in the world is disrespectful to have an interpreter speak in English to the court?...

IF the man had been speaking in Spanish DIRECTLY to the court then I would see how that could be considered disrespectful.

Oh and this-
"gringos" don't understand me, some just make me repeat myself out of spite just for being hispanic"
I find laughable and disturbing at the same time.
edit on 18-6-2011 by Common Good because: (no reason given)

First of all, if you want to quote me make sure you do it properly... You should have started quoting me with the word "SOME"... I wasn't lumping all native English speaking people with those who have treated me wrongly, but I see your game now...

Second of all, yes I can tell when people are being disrespectful of me because of their responses and simply because I have a different accent than them, and if you find this laughable, and disturbing at the same time I guess you are one of those people as well?...

edit on 18-6-2011 by ElectricUniverse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Agreed. You'd think that the least these bastards could do is learn the damn language. I'm just so sick of this.

Originally posted by gremlin2011
wana live here then learn our language simple as that!!

My feelings exactly -- or, better yet, don't come to begin with!

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by AngryOne
Agreed. You'd think that the least these bastards could do is learn the damn language. I'm just so sick of this.

Why don't you just come out of the closet and tell us all that you are a member of the KKK?...

It's disturbing to see the anger from so many Americans at other Americans simply because of a difference in culture and language...

edit on 18-6-2011 by ElectricUniverse because: errors.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 07:33 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

I'm not going to be concerned until I see my favorite brand of cereal in Spanish...then and only then...will I feel the cracks of the collapsing American empire beneath my feet. There's a very slim chance of that happening however, since cornflakes is also sold in Central and South America....They're sold under the name of "Cornflakes"
Do you realize how awful 'hojuelas de maíz' sounds? It's just not the same.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 07:35 PM
link   
reply to post by AngryOne

Maybe you ought to go back to England where they speak REAL English.

The US has never said that English is their official language and it never will be. People will continue to speak whatever language they please..and since it was the Spanish colonists that got here first...Spanish was infact the first European language of the Americas.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by ElectricUniverse

Originally posted by AngryOne

Why don't you just come out of the closet and tell us all that you are a member of the KKK?...

It's amazing the anger from so many Americans at other Americans simply because of a difference in culture and language...

Oh-my-GOD. What a cheap shot; totally out of line, too.

And I do find it odd how you act as if I have no business being angry to begin with. Nonsense. If you're not angry, you're not paying attention.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by laiguana

The US has never said that English is their official language and it never will be. People will continue to speak whatever language they please..and since it was the Spanish colonists that got here first...Spanish was infact the first European language of the Americas.

Most of these Americans who find an outrage at other Americans speaking in Spanish amonst themselves don't say crap about for example Germans, or other non native English speakers speaking in German, or other languages amongst themselves in the U.S...

There are bars within the U.S. where only certain languages, such as German, are spoken, where is the outrage that this is happening?...

edit on 18-6-2011 by ElectricUniverse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 07:45 PM
link   
reply to post by laiguana

yeah well the 13 colonies it wasnt and agian i reitterate an earlier point.

the us constitution and the declaration of independence are written in english.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 07:50 PM
link   
Any "Legal" immigrants should be given a MAXIMUM of 2 years residency in America to which they are required to submit to official testing conducted by the state on their proficiency of the ENGLISH language.

Failure to successfully PASS such a written and verbal test should result in being KICKED the heck out of the country, no exceptions whatsoever.

Learn the language or get the HECK out lazy people!!! PERIOD.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
reply to post by laiguana

yeah well the 13 colonies it wasnt and agian i reitterate an earlier point.

the us constitution and the declaration of independence are written in english.

So what?... in 1780 John Adams wanted to establish an official academy devoted to English but was rejected by the Continental Congress as a threat to individual liberty. The Founding Fathers didn't want an official language in the U.S., just like they didn't want an official religion...

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 07:53 PM
link   
reply to post by ElectricUniverse

yeah so what?

one continent isnt enough lets make it two.

nah

and really if the founders were still alive today you can be your butt theyd have something to say on the matter

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by laiguana

You're missing the point entirely. The fact of the matter is that third world immigration is tearing this country asunder; the whole "language" thing is just one aspect of it. I mean, why should we feel compelled to conform to them? You don't see Americans invading Mexico and pushing people around.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 07:54 PM
link   
Repost from a similar thread like this.

Immigration Myth and Realities Quiz

Not the first time people complain about immigrants not speaking English.

The Legendary English-Only Vote of 1795 This isn’t the first time that Americans have argued about whether English-only should be the law of the land. Dennis Baron delves into the origins of the myth of an early move to outlaw German and relates more recent measures to discourage bilingualism, including by the U.S. Constitution.

www.pbs.org...

Furthermore, I fail to understand why many Americans fear that the English language will become extinct. No where close to it. If the English language is disappearing then why are countries all around the world encouraging English as a second language? And why do about 97% of Americans speak English?

Supporters of the [English-Only measures] say that English forms the glue that keeps America together. They deplore the dollars wasted translating English into other languages. And they fear a horde of illegal aliens adamantly refusing to acquire the most powerful language on earth. On the other hand, opponents of official English remind us that without legislation we have managed to get over ninety-seven percent of the residents of this country to speak the national language.

www.pbs.org...

According to the 2000 U.S. Census, more than 97% of Americans can speak English well, and for 81% it is the only language spoken at home.

www.culture-cultures.com...

top topics

<< 22  23  24    26  27  28 >>

join