It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

“Why Aren’t You Speaking English?”

page: 23
<< 20  21  22    24  25  26 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by doobydoll

Originally posted by vschnz

Originally posted by gremlin2011
theres a saying ' when in rome, do as the romans do ' im in the uk and we got the same trouble with every nationality of the EU flooding our tiny island!!

wana live here then learn our language simple as that!!

So is Europe having the same problem with thousand of Brits flooding Spain, France, Switzerland, etc.. and not willing to learn Spanish, French etc.. sending their kids to an english school. Living in close knit British community. Going to a British own pub...

Do Brits claim welfare benefits, get free homes and medical treatment, from the taxpaying citizens of these host countries?

Have a guess.

Yes, free medical treatment if they have an UK registered EHIC card. Also Brits may be entitled to maternity leave payments and some other benefits from their host EU state if they paid tax in that country. Didn't you know this?

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Wow! I grew up speaking English as well Spanish, but when started travelling my English still kind of sucked - something which I quickly realised and worked hard to rectify! I'm fluent in 4 languages, mostly so I could travel and work overseas (Argentina sucks, too humid). And I thought I was lazy because I never bothered to learn Asian languages (all looks like funny pictures to me unfortunately...)!

That's amazing that this fellow cannot, after 20-something years, even try to speak English. The general handle of the language isn't hard, it's all the little nuances and colloquialisms that are troublesome, but they come later, and any slight mistakes are always forgiven! (Even now after speaking German for 7 years I still sometimes mix up the genders, but no-one cares, they know I'm just a silly foreigner.) If I can learn all these languages by 25 simply to travel around and maybe stay a while, and also because sometimes I'm bored, then this gentleman can certainly make the effort if he is living in the U.S. for that long.

I hope the man who told him to get his act together won't be critisized too much, he had a damn good point. Seems in the U.S.A. that anything to do with Spanish speaking peoples is a touchy subject. Has he been called racist yet?

Edit: Oh my mistake, didn't read all the posts in this topic. So yes it's already about immigration. Fair enough, people should at least try to immerse themselves in their adoptive country. Although there is a question of multicultalism vs. integration. I go with integration, otherwise there's no point in sharing a homeland if people are so divided.
edit on 18-6-2011 by DeepThoughtCriminal because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   
This type of stuff really p$$$es me off!! I was REQUIRED to learn German when I lived in Germany, first as a soldier, second as a legal immigrant on a legal visa (thought immigrants were required to learn English as well?). I couldn't shop, navigate town, anything without at least knowing a few words, spoke it like an American/German native (meaning my accent was off lol) but I learned the language. This man is epitome of total laziness!! You're in America, we speak English, stop making us cater to you, you're the one that wanted to come here. So damn sick of this politically correct nonsense. 20 years and not a word of English? Send his butt back to Mexico.

For the record, I have absolutely nothing against immigrants (I was one myself
), just this one in particular. I've known immigrants that learned the native language of a country almost perfectly in 8 months, cause all they wanted was to be an American/German/Italian, etc. Lazy, lazy, lazy

edit on 18-6-2011 by Ranthenae because: forgot a word

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by sapien82
reply to post by Maslo

I read a post here on ats the other day which stated that
farmers in Georgia have 11,000 jobs unposted ?
are you sure america doesnt need unskilled work force ?

Well that kinda goes to the whole idea of sending jobs overseas and
creating 73 different types of Visa here in the US to import labor.

They have shipped away jobs, and imported 10's of millions of ppl from
other nations who will work for less all in the name of profit.

That is not even counting the tens of millions of illegal immigrants.

This has been one of the root causes of ppl losing their houses.

This has been one of the root causes of divorce.

The lawyers feed off this like piranha making money off misery in the foreclosure/divorce courts.

But as it has come out about the financial crisis, its all been by design.

The intentional destruction of the nation from within just like the
founding fathers warned about.

As Sun Tsu said, the greatest battle is won without fighting.

As Machiavelli alluded to have your enemies fight each other and you manipulate the
situation with trickery and then step in when one is left and weak from the battle.

All of this and more has been used to destroy this nation.

John Perkins used to work in their system just as did Quigley.

Quigley released his book on it in the 60', Perkins more recently but
most ppl do not read much at all so its gone largely unnoticed.

The issue with Aztlan will just be one of many pieces of the coming civil war 2,
and the only semi safe way out for ppl will be to hide in the remote wilderness
and even that is no guarantee but it will be much safer than the cities.

Good Luck to all the good ppl !!!

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 12:47 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Bcesuae lbierlas say I dnot hvae to.

And You hvae not soutd up and tkaen dwon the oens taht ivnoked it.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 01:07 PM
link   
I just had a couple knock on my door saying that they were looking for Spanish speaking people. Were they selling something? Were they Jehova Witnesses? I don't know, but the whole thing kind of rubbed me the wrong way.
My great-grandmother came to this country from Italy when she was sixteen years old, it was 1903 and she was completely alone, her first priority was to learn English.
She had 8 kids and she refused to teach them Italian and she refused to speak it in her house. She felt proud and happy and grateful to be an American.
It must be different for the new wave of immigrants, I must confess I really don't understand where they're coming from.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Wow at least 10 pages have been added since last night!
Finally caught up.

What we are facing here all across the USA, is a language being forced upon us. To have to speak a foreign language in order to get a job to provide for one's family is not acceptable to most of us. It's one thing for a foreigner to want to speak their own language, but to refuse to speak the Country's language in which you migrated to and are now catered to is ridiculous.

Would you go to a foreign Country and insist that they speak your language, have to press 1 just to hear their own language, have signs and documents and manuals etc. all in your language, have jobs that require their people to speak your language??????? Honestly would you? That is rude and disrespectful.

And when hundreds of languages are spoken here in the USA and all those people learn and speak english, why should they be forced to learn yet another language here? That is catering to one culture. that is neither right nor fair.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by jlv70
I just had a couple knock on my door saying that they were looking for Spanish speaking people. Were they selling something? Were they Jehova Witnesses? I don't know, but the whole thing kind of rubbed me the wrong way.
My great-grandmother came to this country from Italy when she was sixteen years old, it was 1903 and she was completely alone, her first priority was to learn English.
She had 8 kids and she refused to teach them Italian and she refused to speak it in her house. She felt proud and happy and grateful to be an American.
It must be different for the new wave of immigrants, I must confess I really don't understand where they're coming from.

Many of our new immigrants are illegal and have no desire to become an American citizen. My ancestors learned the english language too.
edit on 18-6-2011 by Night Star because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 01:14 PM
link   

MOD NOTE: ATTENTION!!!

Please discuss the topic and not other members.

That means no belittling, off topic posts, censor circumvention, posting in foreign languages, casting aspersions on another's character, talking down to other members, harassing or ridiculing others.

Further such remarks can and will result in post removals and/or warnings including temporary posting bans.

Mod Note: Terms & Conditions Of Use – Please Review This Link.

MOD NOTE: ALL MEMBERS: We expect civility and decorum within all topics - Please Review This Link.

Ad Hominem Attacks And You

Trolling, And What To Do About It

Posting Jokes, Ridiculing, Making Fun of Others in Threads...

YOU are responsible for your own posts

edit on Sat Jun 18 2011 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

edit on Sat Jun 18 2011 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Yep I seem to remember Clinton was it,, passed laws said "English is now the official American language"
That to much ink and paper was being wasted printing documents in 2 languages ,, SO now they print them in 4.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Ha Ha, What a DumbA$$. I am surprised they didn't taser him and drag him outside !

En Espanol we'd say ....Que Pinche Pindejo. ( what a friggin dumbA$$)

You know what I would have told the guy....and I speak Spanish (albeit poorly)

Maybe you should've migrated South from Mexico instead of North ! Pinhead.

Go speak Spanish in ....one of the following....for there's plenty of places South of Mexico to speak Spanish such as, Guatemala,Honduras, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Panama, Columbia....Venezuela.

Vamos Pindejo !

edit on 18-6-2011 by nh_ee because: esta Cabron !

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 03:53 PM
link   
I think given twenty three years, I could speak any language on earth. This is laziness and a lack of wanting to assimilate to your new country.

If I moved to another country I would make leaning the language my first priority. How else are going to know what the hell is going on?

Too much "press two for spanish" in this country these days.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by nh_ee

Ha Ha, What a DumbA$$. I am surprised they didn't taser him and drag him outside !

En Espanol we'd say ....Que Pinche Pindejo. ( what a friggin dumbA$$)

You know what I would have told the guy....and I speak Spanish (albeit poorly)

Maybe you should've migrated South from Mexico instead of North ! Pinhead.

Go speak Spanish in ....one of the following....for there's plenty of places South of Mexico to speak Spanish such as, Guatemala,Honduras, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Panama, Columbia....Venezuela.

Vamos Pindejo !

edit on 18-6-2011 by nh_ee because: esta Cabron !

A little Spanish, even if poor, is better than none.
Maybe if the guy had at least tried to speak in English, apologising upfront for quality, maybe the old geezer would'nt have got so uppitty with him.
(And by the way, it's spelt 'pendejo' or 'pendeja' or to do 'pendejadas'.)

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Darkrunner
I think given twenty three years, I could speak any language on earth. This is laziness and a lack of wanting to assimilate to your new country.

If I moved to another country I would make leaning the language my first priority. How else are going to know what the hell is going on?

Too much "press two for spanish" in this country these days.

Here in Spain many Spanish complain that when they ring customer service centres for vodafone or orange telephones they cant understand the southamericans that answer.
So its a double problem..they speak Spanish but in a dialect that Spanish speakers have trouble with.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by nh_ee

The word is pendejo not pindejo. Just saying.

And why would they go to a country that is on par or worse off than Mexico?

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 04:10 PM
link   
heres some food for thought:

what language does italy speak? isnt latin its become a dead language.

a dude who has lived here 23 years and prefers to speak his old countries language speaks to whats coming.

people will say english will always be spoken here but then again ask any roman of the time that there would be a day that latin was never spoken in rome.

multicultuism doesnt work and that will lead to the decline of a country.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
people will say english will always be spoken here but then again ask any roman of the time that there would be a day that latin was never spoken in rome.

And what's wrong with that? The british colonies stopped being british colonies and I'm sure you think that was a good thing. Things change it's a fact of life.

edit on 18-6-2011 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Listen up America, to a message from a bilingual country.

Bilingualism is trouble, political trouble that will threaten the unity of your nation.

Canadians know all about this.

The Canadian situation is different from that of the United States.

French speaking people in Canada have a far more legitmate right to insist on their language in this country than Spanish speakers have in the United States. Canada is a legislated bilingual country.

Don't get me wrong. I am not anti latino, anti Mexican or anti Spanish and certainly not anti French. I've spent a long time learning the French language and love French culture and have travelled in France and to a lesser degree in Québec.

This is about politics. Bilingualism is the thin edge of the wedge of serious political trouble for the United States if allowed to become established in segments of your country like Florida or California.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by gougitousakusha
this guy just refused to assimilate, the way he emphasized family towards the end makes it obvious he hes trying to live in his own spanish bubble in america. speaking any language besides english in the US should be enough for the local law enforcement to question your citizenship.

after 23 years you should be comfortable enough to give a testimony in the language of your residing country.
edit on 17-6-2011 by gougitousakusha because: (no reason given)

It is not...

The problem is if you move to a country and you are an adult it is a lot tougher to assimilite a language even if you have used it for 20+ years.

I have been in many situations when "gringos" would not understand what I say in English, and many times have to repeat myself several times, and the worse part is that many do it just because they are damn racists, even if they claim they are not. You can see it in the way they respond to you.

You shouldn't be "questioning anyone's citizenship just because they don't have YOUR accent"...That's simply stupidity at it's worse.

I have also seen the same thing happening to other immigrants who are not hispanic and have a hard time speaking correctly in English, yet there are "gringos" who "DEMAND" for anyone living in the U.S. to speak English like they do, which only shows ignorance on the part of such people.

Perhaps we should do this...

All the "gringos" who want to DEMAND for immigrants to speak English like they do perhaps should pass a written exam in ENGLISH, and if they fail it they lose their citizenship...

I can tell you that MOST "gringos" would fail...

edit on 18-6-2011 by ElectricUniverse because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 20  21  22    24  25  26 >>

join