It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

“Why Aren’t You Speaking English?”

page: 16
<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 01:43 AM
link   
reply to post by milkyway12

There is no official language of your country, just because it is common doesn't mean anything else is illegal or unacceptable.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 01:45 AM
link   
reply to post by bonnieprince

Then he shouldnt be in American politics if he doesnt want to show respect by learning our Language. If you some guy on the street , whatever. But if you want to get involved in our laws , then learn the American way of speaking... English , when you speak in another tongue , then you are showing disrespect to our country because you didnt care enough to speak in English regardless if you speak it very well or not.

If your addressing our Government / Politics , English is the language to speak.
edit on 04/30/2011 by milkyway12 because: (no reason given)

link   

You follow our law / rules / and language if you want to get into our government ,

Might want to let the government know. They sure do provide a lot of services in different languages.

link   
reply to post by THE_PROFESSIONAL

Man you need to look around and gah.... you are an idiot.

Hundreds of thousands of Chinese, Vietnamese, Cambodians, and other people of Eastern Asian origin come here every year. They pay thousands to get shipped here in containers on cargo boats.

A lot of those browned skinned people you are calling "Mexicans" are from Ecuador, El Salvador, Guatamala, Honduras, Costa Rica, Dominican Republic and Nicaragua.

People come here illegally from all over the world. It isn't a problem from just Mexico. I've known illegals from Haiti, Moroco, Vietnam, Liberia, and even Poland.

I hate when people say it is a Mexican problem. There is a small minority of Mexicans that are very vocal about the situation. The have a view of things based on a history of North America that is part true and part fantasy. However, that does not mean that illegal imigration is purely a Mexican problem.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 01:47 AM
link   
My girlfriends family is from Croatia. They wanted to move to America and live the "American Dream". They did not do this by sneaking into this country, they did not do this by moving into an all-Croatian neighborhood, they did not do this by avoiding their taxes. The idea that someone would come to this country and refuse to learn the national language personally disgusts me. These people were not dragged here in the way that black people were, they chose to come here. So these illegal aliens decide to live in towns and neighborhoods created to mirror Mexico. These areas are predominately Spanish speaking with little interaction in what should be a melting pot of other cultures. These people do not pay taxes yet cost money for us to accommodate. They have no interest in taking the relatively easy (and yes, I have looked at the test) citizenship test.

My girlfriends family is American even though they came from Croatia. A Mexican illegal is still a Mexican and has no right to stay in our country and fundamentally change it to make it more like the country they for some reason can't help but flee.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 01:50 AM
link   
reply to post by jam321

You get what im saying. If you want to be a Senator or Congressman and you still hold your families Nationality above Americas. Then you need to think about not joining our Government. When you want to get involved in politics for America to set our Laws / Govern you speak English because AMERICA is first above your originality , and if you want to speak your native tongue to a Political hearing more than you want to speak English. Then your heart isnt in to America.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 01:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck
Why does it seem to only be Hispanics that either cannot or will not learn English when they come here? My Japanese neighbor speaks at least enough English for us to have a conversation. I'm yet to meet a Chinese immigrant who couldn't communicate in broken English at least. Same with Middle Eastern immigrants. And Africans you can usually talk to in English, French, and their Native language (if it's not French).

Mexicans in particular radiate this air of ignorance about themselves..

You don't know anything about life then.. you generalize Hispanics by calling them "Mexicans", call them ignorants, then babble how you have met one Japanese guy who speaks English therefore you come up with the conclusion that all Japanese residing in the U.S. speak English...

Your post is full of fail and idiocy that I'm starting to think the ignorant one is no other than yourself.

@Thread: He chose to speak Spanish, he has the right to do so. Have you guys heard of this thing called "freedom of speech"? He used it.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 01:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Scoriada

I feel for him, he's nervous and he feels more comfortable speaking in his first language.

How would you feel if you had to go to court in another country, you were nervous and you lived in that country for 23 years and have learned the language? To me I would feel nervous and speak in English, because it's my native tongue.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 01:54 AM
link   
reply to post by FreedomCommander

Its too bad people don't campaign for court, otherwise that would make a lot of sense

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 01:55 AM
link   

Yes, and I see your point. But you also have to see the hypocrisy of the Senator who works in a place that provides and calls for services in Spanish.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 01:55 AM
link   
Thers a saying in Spanish, "Querer es poder", which literally means "to want to, is to be able to".
The majority of Hispanic immigrants live in their Hispanic communitys closed to the outside world, so there isnt a need to speak English.
If someone wants to learn English they can, just like i had to learn Spanish.
This man is just another immigrant who wants all the benefits and stability that the USA can offer with the 'incumbersome' task of speaking the language.
My personal message to him is - "Hermano, es indignante que despues de mas que viente tres años en America no hablas Inglés".

edit on 18-6-2011 by andy1972 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 01:56 AM
link   
reply to post by coquine

Every word is not that extremely important, you are a U.S. citizen from another country, whichever country that may be. You know how to speak English very well but think you can be understood much better if you speak your first language but have it spoken by an interpreter. This makes no sense whatsoever, everyone knows you are a foreigner, kudos to you for just being at the hearing in the first place to voice your opinion! This shows that you are wanting to be an upstanding part of the country and society that you are in, a lot of Americans would not show up for the hearing because they are too busy, or lazy, or don't really care about the subject. But to undercut all of your efforts by speaking in a language that has to be interpreted is just plain dumb when you can speak the native language. Every word you say is not having people killed or not killed, do your best, everyone will be more receptive to someone speaking with a little trouble, than have to listen to an interpreter. So he might say "First family should come" instead of "Family should come first", we understand what he means...it is not that difficult to understand. And did he really say anything that was SO important anyway?....NO.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 01:57 AM
link   
What I think is odd is when I traveled to Mexico a couple years ago they spoke to me in English, even when I wanted to try out my (rough) Spanish they replied in English. I was really confused about that because, like everyone else here in America, I have experienced that they mostly want to speak Spanish here

I do think it is insulting that the immigrants don't try to assimilate by speaking English. My ancestors did. My Grandma tells stories of how when her Grandparents came over from Poland they told their children that they are American now and they speak English. That pride of becoming a United States citizen is rapidly declining, mostly on our southern border.

The freedom of speech does protect the right to speak whatever language you wish... but if you are a U.S. citizen in a US court you should be expected to speak English if you know the language (which you should after 23 years).
edit on 18-6-2011 by asmall89 because: grammar again

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 01:58 AM
link   

That's odd, because I don't see any official government language for your country, or any law baring people from speaking other languages in a political matter which directly concerns them and their communities.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 01:59 AM
link   
reply to post by TheWalkingFox

Nope I'm not old enough for a cane. However, maybe you are right and it wasn't an era it was more of a localized thing.

I never experienced a time when brown people were expected to bend to the whims of a white person. I just think it is arrogant to ask 200 million plus people that speak a certain language to make an exception for you.

I think it is funny that everybody keeps implying I am a racist. I'm married to a woman that is half Mexican, my best man was from Africa, we had a Chinese/filipino maid of honor, my grand father was full blooded Sioux. The two most common visitors at my house are my African-American partner from work and a hispanic gentleman from my squad. People have no idea who I am but make assumptions based on a single topic.

It is hillarious that asking for a little respect from a person that moves to the country is some how racist. I don't care what they do, but they should be able to communicate well enough to transact official business and understand basic survival commands. It is a matter of simple respect and safety.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 02:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by andy1972
Thers a saying in Spanish, "Querer es poder", which literally means "to want to, is to be able to".
The majority of wetbacks live in their Hispanic communitys closed to the outside world, so there isnt a need to speak English.
If someone wants to learn English they can, just like i had to learn Spanish.
This man is just another immigrant who wants all the benefits and stability that the USA can offer with the 'incumbersome' task of speaking the language.
My personal message to him is - "Hermano, es indignante que despues de mas que viente tres años en America no hablas Inglés".

wait, you speak English (which is your native language I'm assuming), yet you failed to read the part where the guy mentioned he knows English, he just didn't choose to use it; you either failed to read it or comprehend it, either way, it just shows how "educated" some people are. Just saying...

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 02:02 AM
link   
reply to post by andy1972

Hermano, es indignante que despues de mas que viente tres años en America no hablas Inglés".

Tambien es importante reconocer que el hombre si habla ingles pero prefiere hablar espanol.

Which obviously isn't against the senate committees rules.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 02:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by MikeNice81
reply to post by THE_PROFESSIONAL

Man you need to look around and gah.... you are an idiot.

Hundreds of thousands of Chinese, Vietnamese, Cambodians, and other people of Eastern Asian origin come here every year. They pay thousands to get shipped here in containers on cargo boats.

A lot of those browned skinned people you are calling "Mexicans" are from Ecuador, El Salvador, Guatamala, Honduras, Costa Rica, Dominican Republic and Nicaragua.

People come here illegally from all over the world. It isn't a problem from just Mexico. I've known illegals from Haiti, Moroco, Vietnam, Liberia, and even Poland.

I hate when people say it is a Mexican problem. There is a small minority of Mexicans that are very vocal about the situation. The have a view of things based on a history of North America that is part true and part fantasy. However, that does not mean that illegal imigration is purely a Mexican problem.

Mike, I'm sorry to say that the biggest problem is people from Mexico who believe that the Southwest is their native Aztec land and that it still belongs to them. They believe in Reconcquista, which is to say they believe in reclaiming the land we Europeans supposedly stole from them(even though the US govt paid Mexico for the land after winning the war). La Voz de la Raza means the Voice of the Race. (which race do you think that means?) The man is protesting some kind of statute which he feels is unfair to his immgrant friends and family and presumably illegals. I am betting that La Raza is behind this. And probably Soros too, as he funds anything that would destroy American sovereignty, including programs which give financial and legal aid to illegals. You and others here ought to do some homework on this subject.

In fact I'll give you some help. And for the record, at their rallies these people burn the American flag and/or turn it upside down and place it under the flag of Mexico. Many are communists/Leninist/Marxist/Pro Che Guevara.They have utter contempt for other Americans and our way of life. They should assimilate but they don't want to. Even more radical is the group M.E.Ch.A
www.mayorno.com...

www.nclr.org...

www.humanevents.com...

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 02:09 AM
link   
reply to post by ThirdEyeofHorus

Maybe you missed this page on your Reconquista hunt. The Reconquist bull is no different than the KKK. Just a small group of punks who will never amount to anything.

NCLR

Another misconception about NCLR is the allegation that we support a “Reconquista,” or the right of Mexico to reclaim land in the southwestern United States. NCLR has not made and does not make any such claim; indeed, such a claim is so far outside of the mainstream of the Latino community that we find it incredible that our critics raise it as an issue. NCLR has never supported and does not endorse the notion of a “Reconquista” or “Aztlán.”

www.nclr.org...

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 02:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by jam321
reply to post by ThirdEyeofHorus

Maybe you missed this page on your Reconquista hunt. The Reconquist bull is no different than the KKK. Just a small group of punks who will never amount to anything.

NCLR

Another misconception about NCLR is the allegation that we support a “Reconquista,” or the right of Mexico to reclaim land in the southwestern United States. NCLR has not made and does not make any such claim; indeed, such a claim is so far outside of the mainstream of the Latino community that we find it incredible that our critics raise it as an issue. NCLR has never supported and does not endorse the notion of a “Reconquista” or “Aztlán.”

www.nclr.org...

Yep you are quoting the NATIONAL COUNCIL OF LA RAZA lolololol who do you think you are kidding buddy?
michellemalkin.com...

www.flagstuff.com...

bonfiresblog.wordpress.com...

www.diggersrealm.com...

a pciture is worth a thousand words
www.outragedpatriots.com...
edit on 18-6-2011 by ThirdEyeofHorus because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join