It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

“Why Aren’t You Speaking English?”

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 01:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Peloquin

I rarely see immigrants speaking languages other than Spanish...

When I go into a 7-Eleven, and the guy behind the counter is Latin American, this is usually how the conversation goes.

"$40 on pump 7 please"
"No I said pump 7"
"No, all $40 on pump 7, not $20"
"No thanks I don't need a reciept. No really I'm all set."
*hangs head, takes receipt from ignorant cashier*
*Go back inside 30 seconds later*
"The pump isn't working. I think you entered it into the wrong pump"
"No, I still want the gas why are you giving me money back?"
"$40 on pump 7..."
*curls into the fetal position and weeps*

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 01:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by THE_PROFESSIONAL
What percentage of norweigans who get US medical care do not speak english?
What percentage of mexicans who get US medical care do not speak english?

Now you're changing your goalposts. You started off saying how terrible it is for ANYONE to be speaking a language other than English in a medical situation.

Now it's just a problem when it's a MEXICAN.

Ergo it's pretty clear that it's not the language you have an issue with; it's the people speaking it. My little blue-eyed, white-haired resident with the pale pink skin can speak all the Norwegian she wants - but when it comes to one of our CNA's, Ramon, speaking Spanish with his big brown lips, well, NOW we have a problem, don't we?

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 01:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by jam321
reply to post by THE_PROFESSIONAL

It is in the mexican culture that it is acceptable to not to learn english and that it is ok to speak spanish.

be nice if you could back that up with stats.

Its personal experience and illegal alien stats. Most of them are from mexico.

Give me a !@$!@$ break! I'm Mexican. Every single member of my family speaks, writes and reads English.

By the way, do you know how moronic the second part of your sentence sounds? "that it is ok to speak spanish." Why on earth would it not be? What you're likely referring to is seniors who don't learn English. How is this any different from any other ethnicity who is older and doesn't learn English? Are you going to claim that in any other race/ethnicity it is acceptable to not learn English and that it is OK to speak their native tongue? I'm going to stop here because it wouldn't be fair of me to accuse you of anything without knowing you personally.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 01:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Adyta

I get this from people who speak English, too.

Ever considered that Maybe 7-11 doesn't have the highest standards for employees?

Or you could just go ahead and say "Cuarenta dólares en la bomba número siete"

It won't make your tongue turn black and drop off.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 01:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheWalkingFox

What percentage of norweigans who get US medical care do not speak english?
What percentage of mexicans who get US medical care do not speak english?

Now you're changing your goalposts. You started off saying how terrible it is for ANYONE to be speaking a language other than English in a medical situation.

Now it's just a problem when it's a MEXICAN.

Ergo it's pretty clear that it's not the language you have an issue with; it's the people speaking it. My little blue-eyed, white-haired resident with the pale pink skin can speak all the Norwegian she wants - but when it comes to one of our CNA's, Ramon, speaking Spanish with his big brown lips, well, NOW we have a problem, don't we?

This is exactly what I was thinking. Why don't you just state that you have a problem with Mexicans, if that's the case? Why beat around the bush?

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 01:09 AM
link   
What many people forget is that the US allows refugees and other immigrants into the US with no requirement to learn English.

The only requirement for English is if they want to be citizens 5 years later. Many don't.

Then most of these immigrants end up in a neighborhood where their primary language is spoken and businesses and government caters to them in their primary language.

Then you wonder why some never learn English.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 01:10 AM
link   
reply to post by incrediblelousminds

If he spoke more than a little bit, he shouldn't need a translator. Sorry, it just doesn't make any sense unless he's simply trying to make a nuisance of himself.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 01:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Southern Guardian

Thankyou for *cough* caring about the safety of these people Mike, clearly to you their decision to speak spanish only endangers their lives and possibly others somehow.

Never said it only endangers their life. However, it is nice to see that you haven't changed any since last time we traded posts. You still find a way to twist words to demonize the people you disagree with.

Just so you know, I care enough about others to put my rear on the line for four 12.5 hour shifts every week. While people here talk about caring I go out and help protect the innocent and sick. I go in to the burning buildings, I break up the fights when people are being attacked. To preach to me or be condescending torwards me shows your own ignorance.

I went in to that building to get them out, what would you have done?

As a side note the man who spoke spanish at this assembly knew how to speak english anyway, so I trust he'd understand evacuation alarms in english.

Another typical SG tactic. Ignore that something was clearly labeled as being about another topic. Then take it out of context to try proving your superior intellect or amazing ability at sarcasim. It moves the conversation how far forward?

So let's get this straight. You are more than welcome to speak your own language, just don't do it infront of me as it will be "offensive". Practice your freedoms at home, not in public. Liberty at it's finest folks.

When moving to another country with a different culture it seems like you would want to respect their traditions and their language. I grew up in an era when you didn't ask everyone to bend to your whims. You actually showed respect for others by learning how to speak the common language properly. You learned how to communicate intelligently so that others would respect you and know that you respect them.

No one person is the center of the universe. Moving to a country and refusing to learn the language means you believe you are above the people of that country and their culture. That is the epitome of arrogance and I find arrogant people offensive. Speak Spanish where ever and when ever. However, when conducting official business with the state and citizens that do not speak your language, use the majority language.

I don't go to Mexico and expect people to cater to my needs in English. I visit for a couple of weeks a year and I brush up on enough Spanish to survive and communicae basic information. If I can do that for a ten day vacation some one planning to live here should be able to do the same.

I never said practice your liberty at home. Again another SG twist. Consider this conversation ended.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 01:17 AM
link   
reply to post by JosephJohnson

Mexicans are the problem and that is exactly correct. They are the ones who are illegally jumping across the border. I do not see Norwegians jumping across the border.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 01:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Night Star
reply to post by bunnydisaster

You don't just move to a foreign Country, make it your home and expect or demand that everyone in that Country now speak your language. You don't expect or demand that now new signs will be put up in your language, manuals written in your language. You don't expect people to have to dial one for their own language because you want services explained in your language. You don't expect employers to demand that their workers speak your language. How very rude and arrogant.

Yes, and don't forget that half the packaging of all the product in the grocery stores are printed in Spanish as well. At least in my neck of the woods.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 01:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by MikeNice81
I grew up in an era when you didn't ask everyone to bend to your whims.

I just had to laugh.

First off, whatever "era" you speak was pretty certainly didn't go down as you describe it - odds are, you're speaking of a time where it was just assumed that brown people should bow to the whims of white people. Now that that's not the case, you're shaking your cane at the sky and indulging in a "back in my day" rant

Or hey. Maybe I'm totally off-base there. Maybe whatever Era you're talking about really did exist as you describe. If so, it clearly didn't stick, since your entire point in this thread is that other people should bend to your whim.

Either way, that's a really funny thing you just said.
edit on 18/6/2011 by TheWalkingFox because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 01:23 AM
link   
reply to post by THE_PROFESSIONAL

Then go find a thread about illegal immigration - I assure you, there is no shortage; after all, ATS is Stormfront with a dash of flying saucers.

This is a thread about a legal immigrant who chooses to speak his mother tongue.
edit on 18/6/2011 by TheWalkingFox because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 01:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Adyta

And by the sound of it, this man would be able to do that. However, when talking about a legal issue, which isn't of urgent life or death, he may want to make sure he is 100% sure of things.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 01:28 AM
link   
No Speake Englase

NO SPEAKE ENGLASE

edit on 18-6-2011 by MACchine because: ¡¡¡ NOOO SPEAKE EEEENGLAAAAASE !!!

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 01:30 AM
link   
reply to post by bonnieprince

"By the sounds of things"? He's speaking Spanish, so by the sound of things, he wouldn't be able to. In legal matters, he would want to be 100% sure he was getting his point across... but in a medical emergency where someone lay dying... what, he only needs to be 53% sure?

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 01:31 AM
link   
reply to post by TheWalkingFox

I understood the point of your post. As some one that has had to learn a bit of Spanish I know how it works. I just get tired of people making excuses. Yes his thoughts form in his native tongue. Mine do as well when I try to speak Spanish. That has nothing to do with his choice of how he testified.

The average monolinguist understands the difficulty of speaking a second language. You see most of us aren't closet racist or monolinguist. A lot of us learned French, Spanish, German, Latin, or another language in school. We understand the difficulty of learning even an elementary level of a language. To us, it is about showing respect. Show us that you want to be an American. Show us that you are here to become a part of the culture and advance us as a nation. Do not expect us to bend to your ways and customs.

Many cultures have come here, learned the language, and still held on to their culture and beliefs. It isn't about changing cultures, it is about communicating so that we can all learn about each other and grow together.

(I know I'm veering off in to the ether again.)

It isn't about this guy making friends with assholes. It was about winning political points among people that otherwise would dismiss your position out of hand. It is about showing respect for the country and culture you moved in to. I understand his hardship. I feel like an idiot talking to a bunch of Mexican farmers in Spanish. Sometimes, you just have to give it a shot. If people see you trying they will help you and consider your point more often. They will be more willing to accept you and your needs.

When you refuse to speak in English to conduct necessary business - or to deal with the state - it appears that you are expecting the other 200 million plus English speaking Americans to cater to you. It comes across as arrogant or helpless.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 01:39 AM
link   
You know what? What a bunch of baloney that whole episode was!!!! LOL the guy is in there testifying that he and his Immigrant Rights Coalition don't like a certain statute, namely SB9, and I haven't looked it up yet, but obviously he is opposed to any actons which will limit the rights of "immigrants' which probably translates also into "undocumented workers". This is known as Reconquista, and I bet that half the progressives on this thread know it already. That guy is totally playing dumb. At the beginning he says to one of the others, "Catch yas later". And he has NO problem with English SLANG! Then later he does this whole silly fake thing with the translators. What a CROCK!

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 01:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by MikeNice81
Never said it only endangers their life.

No, you never said it only endangers their lives, you did say it was dangerous, and you made two examples, one for a fire alarm incident and one at the ER. So how did I misunderstand you? Maybe you can clarify with me.

You still find a way to twist words to demonize the people you disagree with.

I demonize people who choose to demonize other people for the personal cultural choices they make. This is a free country, some people unfortunately believe it's only a free country for them.

Just so you know, I care enough about others to put my rear on the line for four 12.5 hour shifts every week. While people here talk about caring I go out and help protect the innocent and sick. I go in to the burning buildings, I break up the fights when people are being attacked.

If you care for people that much, maybe you can care to respect their choices. You clearly made examples to why it was dangerous for people not to learn english or even speak it (I'd assume even if they understood it), well it's their choice. People make choices in this country, and whether it impacts on their lives or not, it's the freedom of those choices that we should be protecting. Clearly you are of the opinion that sticking to one language is dangerous, well that's your opinion. Some folks choose to stick with one language, it's their choice as american citizens. What would you have them do Mike? force them to learn english and speak english to make your job and sensitivities easier? Some people prefer to go about life in their own. Learn to respect that.

Another typical SG tactic. Ignore that something was clearly labeled as being about another topic.

Let's go down this again so I can get be sure this got through to you. Many people choose to speak in one language generally, while holding knowledge of the english language. This is where part of your argument doesn't stick Mike. In emergency cases, these individuals know full well their environment, they're not stupid.

When moving to another country with a different culture it seems like you would want to respect their traditions and their language. I grew up in an era when you didn't ask everyone to bend to your whims. You actually showed respect for others by learning how to speak the common language properly.

Was that the 60's? Wonderful times, right? Or are you from a later decade? We can talk about "respect" all day long Mike, and in many cases I'll probably agree with you, but then we have to recognize that there is a segment of society tha chooses not to abide by the mainstream. There are people, families, who choose to live by their own traditions, own lives, own beliefs, regardless of what the mainstream society follows. They have every right to do so, and when we demonize people for doing so, especially in public, we strike right back to the fundamental values this country was founded upon.

I have no issue viewing this man who spoke in spanish as careless, as disrespectful in many ways, but this is his choice. As respect to him, I'd speak in spanish because this is just my character, I am willing to work with him, communicate with him.

No one person is the center of the universe. Moving to a country and refusing to learn the language means you believe you are above the people of that country and their culture. That is the epitome of arrogance and I find arrogant people offensive.

Arrogance? That's a generalization. I've met some folks over my life who only spoke in a language other than english. Had a colleague few years back who's mother only really spoke in Cantonese, and only the basics of english. Very humble woman, very respectful, didn't detect a hit of arrogance. My colleague mainly spoke in english, very much american. His mother was just sticking to tradition, to what she believed in. You mentioned that nobody is the center of the universe, well we can apply this view point right back to the OP and yourself. There is no belief that is the center of the universe, English and western beliefs may be to the core of this country's history, to the majority of the population, but it certainly is not the center of everybody's universe, and why should it be? This is America.

I never said practice your liberty at home.

Yes you did, clearly you're not willing to stick by what you clearly meant in fear of direct criticism. I've made my beliefs clear in this thread and outside, you are more than welcome to scrutinize further.
edit on 18-6-2011 by Southern Guardian because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 01:41 AM
link   
Its simply this simple.

You dont want to Adhere to the American diversity of culture , but in this Diversity our primary language is English , then get the # out of our Politics.

You hold Nationalism for another country , then you dont need to be in our Government. Get out and go home you Coward , and get out of UNITED STATES OF AMERICA politics.

You speak English and follow our rules. Screw where you came from , you are here now. You follow our law / rules / and language if you want to get into our government , or if you dont , go back where you came from , there are plenty more to take what you think you have earned.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 01:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Adyta

Ok. Let us presume he is not a doctor. All he will need to do is say 'there has been a carcrash, at 'x' location'. Legal matters are different, he needs to speak on legislation, which probably has jargon. This is apples and oranges, one requires a basic statement, one requires jargon and a large speech. The article says he can speak english, why do you presume just because someone prefers to do something in their native language doesn't mean he can't speak another language. It isn't like he refused to testify because he wanted to do it in Spanish, it isn't like he can't speak English, there is a precedent that he can testify in his native language, he decided to take advantage of it because that was what he is more comfortable with.

<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join