It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

“Why Aren’t You Speaking English?”

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 11:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Adyta

This isnt about 'respect' and you know it.

it's about a two-bit politician milking an issue for his own notoriety, and people like you being played like a fiddle.

When empires fall, the government always wants to shift blame to 'the immigrants'.

This guy did nothing illegal. Change the law if you want an 'official language'.

We will all see you are merely grasping at scapegoats instead of coming to terms with your growing irrelevance in a changing culture.
edit on 17-6-2011 by incrediblelousminds because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 11:53 PM
link   
hey killa's calm down...
cant you both just agree that you joined the corps with good intentions but no longer wish to serve tptb...
sounds like a plan???

errrrrr

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 11:53 PM
link   
If you are being questioned in an official capacity, would you not want to be able to answer as best as possible? I mean, he is probably capable of speaking english well, but you will always be best at the language you learnt from birth. For example, I know how to speak French well enough to get by in France, possibly live there. However, if lets say I was asked to give testimony, or questioned by police, I would prefer to give it in English, so I could be sure I got my point across exactly how I want it. It's perfectly reasonable to want to get your point across as well as possible.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 11:54 PM
link   
reply to post by capod2t

Doesn't matter still doesn't make it illegal to speak in any language that you choose. Or be appointed an interpretor if you need one.
edit on 17-6-2011 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 11:54 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

it should never have to come to that i think anytime people go to any other country i dont see a problem in "going native"

ameirca is a predominately english speaking population that is til that last few decades where the issue of english is being talked about.

i dont see the big hang up of people not wanting to learn it i mean there here and if they do the farther they will go in this society.

adapation is a key to success and a marine knows the wisdom of improvisation and adaption to overcome any obstacle.

nothing says that people have to agree with each other but we should never lose respect for one another.

and that goes to the topic as well.

respect.
edit on 17-6-2011 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 11:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Night Star

You do if that is what the employer wants.

They set up the requirements.
edit on 17-6-2011 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 11:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by gnosticquasar
English is the majority language in this country. It's the native tongue of the vast majority of the inhabitants. It just seems to me that it's basic common sense to at least try to learn a little bit.

It's funny to me how many posters seem to not have read the article. HE DOES SPEAK A LITTLE BIT! In fact, more than a little. maybe read the article before commenting next time.

And that's the thing about it. You know, I don't expect people to speak it like a native, but at least have the capacity to communicate on the level of a small child. Disjointed sentences, small phrases, and lots of gesturing are fine for me. I'm willing to learn some Spanish, but, Jesus Christ, is it so much to ask that these people meet me half way?

Again, read the article. It proves your opinions irrelevant.
edit on 17-6-2011 by incrediblelousminds because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 11:59 PM
link   
reply to post by incrediblelousminds

It's racist and xenophobic to expect that someone who's been in a country for twenty years where most of the population speaks English might speak English? To me, I don't think he should have been able to speak at all. The English language is a very big part of American culture. His needing a translator after having been here so long is nothing short of absolutely insulting.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 12:00 AM
link   
reply to post by bonnieprince

Never heard of the phrase "lost in translation" have we?

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 12:03 AM
link   
In Canada, we have *official* languages of English and French.

However, driving tests can now be taken in Punjabi and Chinese. It's atrocious - the Government is allowing drivers on our roads who can't read road signs in English OR French or understand directions from an officer of the law, at least in BC, not sure about other provinces.

Driving is a priviledge. If you can't read and completely understand the signs that you run across, then you shouldn't be driving, period.

CBC have even started a Punjabi commentary for Hockey Night in Canada.

However, that being said, I'm hoping that these folks that refuse to learn the language of the country they decide to call home come across one particular sign that they can't read that is commonly found at the roadside in Canada, that says "Don't Feed The Bears". Will solve lots of problems.
edit on 18-6-2011 by babybunnies because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 12:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by gnosticquasar
reply to post by incrediblelousminds

It's racist and xenophobic to expect that someone who's been in a country for twenty years where most of the population speaks English might speak English? To me, I don't think he should have been able to speak at all. The English language is a very big part of American culture. His needing a translator after having been here so long is nothing short of absolutely insulting.

No, it's racist and xenophobic to cling to this story as an excuse to complain about 'immigrants' who 'dont speak english' even thought the article CLEARLY STATES he does indeed speak English.

Ironically, it would appear you dont know how to read it, or you would now that.

I dont expect you to on up to those initial monikers. Those who fit them rarely admit it.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 12:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Sherlock Holmes

So many of you people will go on and on about ''personal rights'', yet you want to restrict those supposed ''rights'' if the person in question doesn't conform to your narrow idea of how those ''rights'' should be expressed.

If a person speaks Spanish at home, fine. If they speak it while dealing with another hispanic in a store, fine.

(Personal Experience Rant)
However, when a person has been here for years and refuse to either learn or speak English it is insulting and it is dangerous. I get tired of trying to deliver verbal legal orders to people and have them stare uncomprehendingly at me. Then I find out they have lived here for five or six years and refuse to learn the language.

I was trying to evacuate a place that was under going a full fire alarm. I had a group of six hispanic men standing in a circle yammering franticly. They were freaking out because of the alarm but didn't know what was happening. I couldn't tell them because not a one spoke English. I finally had to start pushing one guy towards the exit for the other five to get the point.

I have a friend that works as a critical care paramedic. She had a patient die because no one could speak English. With ten people standing around not a one could tell her the nature of the injury. Turns out the person had been having minor heart attacks for hours. Nobody could communicate that. So, she didn't administer medicine that could have stopped another heart attack. The one he had in route to the ED killed him.

Your language in your home and among friends is your business. If you want to speak Klingon I don't give a rip. However, when doing business with the majority population you should learn the majority language. It shows respect and helps keep everyone safe.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 12:15 AM
link   
It bothers me that FOREIGNERS cannot learn to speak basic English. They are in AMERICA now and are supposed to speak a "common language", though not official. It's also laziness on their part. They cannot get away with the lack of understanding the English language.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 12:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by hotbakedtater

Originally posted by tamusan
I try to learn the native tongue for every country I live in. It's only a common courtesy. I have also studied Spanish for several years, beginning in grade school. I speak Spanish when I visit countries where that language is predominant. While in the United States, I greet Spanish speakers with a blank stare, despite usually understanding what they say to me.

He was here for 22 years and still won't try English? How pathetic.
He knows English, and it is his constitutionally protected right to speak in any language he sees fit. There is NO official language in the melting pot.

well i understand your stance but will you defend the guy who is testfying and refuses to speak any other language besides Klingon.(P.S. I really want to see this) I under stand that is his right but it is insulting to the situation none the less.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 12:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Adyta

Yes, but i'd trust a translator more than myself, since they are paid professionals.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 12:27 AM
link   
reply to post by MikeNice81

Your language in your home and among friends is your business. If you want to speak Klingon I don't give a rip. However, when doing business with the majority population you should learn the majority language. It shows respect and helps keep everyone safe.

Im 100% agree with that.

Anyone knows how many American soldiers speak fluent Iraqi and Afghan? No offense im just asking.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 12:29 AM
link   
The senator is 100% Accurate. Although we are in the melting pot, the primary language in ENGLISH. One should respect the environment and, if trying to illustrate a point, consider one's impact.
Funny, a man fighting for immigrant rights, will not even speak the common language of the court, instead cluttering up the airways with an interpreter; rude, stubborn, & inconsiderate. If he felt more comfortable speaking Spanish, he should have spoke to a Spanish speaking panel.
What is really appalling is the monaing of the peanut gallery in the background when the senator claims that it is an insult to not be speaking English.. AMAZING! So, we are SUPPOSED to speak Spanish? Hate begets Hate, I swear

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 12:30 AM
link   
reply to post by bonnieprince

Using that logic, next time you plan to drive... don't. Call a cab instead...

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 12:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Adyta

Your comparison fails in two ways.

First - and trivial to the discussion - the Italian word for "Big Mac" is "Big Mac." The Italian word for "McNugget" is "mcNugget." The names are all trademarked, and they will be exactly the same wherever you find a McDonalds. Bangalore, Tokyo, Paris, you walk to the counter, go "big mac" and you will get a big mac with absolutely no one looking confused at you.

Second - and relevant - this man is not ordering a cheeseburger. He is speaking before a political body of the country he is in on a complex social issue. Would you do this with the same level of language as when ordering a McFlurry? If so, I hope you are the most emotive person ever to grace that restaurant.

See, a conceit of monolinguists - all languages, not just English - is that everyone else in the world thinks in their language. Since they of course only know the one language, it's impossible for them to even dream of thinking in a foreign language. This is paired with the assumption that the monolinguists' own language is "easy" to learn, whether it's English, Cantonese, or Farsi. when these two assumptions are mixed, it becomes VERY easy to be annoyed by people who speak in whatever their native tongue is. Never does it cross the monolinguist's mind that this person actually thinks in their own mother language, and that that language may have completely different structures, idioms, memes, synonyms, homophones, and so on, from the monolinguists' own language.

Thus even a person who is completely fluent in one language, may feel the need to use their native tongue with a translator to get across certain ideas that are difficult for that person to translate between the two. Especially on topics such as this one, which do involve a lot of linguistic complexity and rely on cultural memetics.
edit on 18/6/2011 by TheWalkingFox because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 12:33 AM
link   
They need to learn English, if they go into some hospital, do you know how many healthcare workers get frustrated because they are trying to help someone who is in the USA, illegally using resources and then on top of that does not even have the courtesy to speak in the language of the country. I think that any school systems that do not have good English proficiency rates examined need to be federally investigated under the patriot act.

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join