It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

“Why Aren’t You Speaking English?”

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 10:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by HisMajesty
reply to post by Night Star

I dont know about this. do you really want english to be the official language in the USA? I mean would totally go for japanese its alot funner.

wouldnt you prefer another language like Latin? romantic words of thunder.......i have no idea what that means

Now that would be interesting!

Yes, yes i do wish for english to be the official language. I know no other as well.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 10:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Scoriada

I agree if he's been in texas since 1988 he should of learnt English ages ago.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 10:55 PM
link   
My thoughts are If you come to the united states to live and you don't speak English then get the F out!

It is Growing So bad here that I have friends of mine who are unemployed and they can not even get a job at Burger king with out knowing Spanish Simply because the majority of the workers are Spanish and REQUIRE you to know Spanish if you don't you don't get a job ...

Thats insane

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 11:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vash
My thoughts are If you come to the united states to live and you don't speak English then get the F out!

It is Growing So bad here that I have friends of mine who are unemployed and they can not even get a job at Burger king with out knowing Spanish Simply because the majority of the workers are Spanish and REQUIRE you to know Spanish if you don't you don't get a job ...

Thats insane

This should not be allowed in The United Sates of America! It is bad enough that millions of illegals are displacing citizens in the workforce, but now if there is an opening and a citizen wishes to be employed, he has to speak a foreign language?

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 11:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by gougitousakusha
this guy just refused to assimilate, the way he emphasized family towards the end makes it obvious he hes trying to live in his own spanish bubble in america.

Assimilate to what, exactly? Should he also dye his hair, bleach his skin, and wear blue contacts? See, there is no mandate to assimilation in this country. I understand that people speaking a language and having family values that you can't be asses to understand makes you uncomfortable, but, well, newsflash; other people are not here for your comfort. What you want is utterly and entirely irrelevant when regarding the day-to-day lives of others.

speaking any language besides english in the US should be enough for the local law enforcement to question your citizenship.

And for the full effect of the irony, they should demand your identification in German;
"Ich verlange, Ihre Papiere sehen, jetzt! Schnell, schnell!"

after 23 years you should be comfortable enough to give a testimony in the language of your residing country.
edit on 17-6-2011 by gougitousakusha because: (no reason given)

And after 23 years he probably understands he is under absolutely no legal compulsion to do so, if he is more comfortable speaking Spanish.
edit on 17/6/2011 by TheWalkingFox because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 11:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Scoriada
Seriously? You have been in the country for 23 YEARS and you still feel more comfortable speaking Spanish? You're either LAZY or STUPID or both.

My guess is you have no idea how difficult it can be for a person over, say, 30 to learn a new language.

The USA has no 'official' language. Seriously. Besides, eople in England would say that gobblygook you spew out your pie hole most certainly is not english.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 11:07 PM
link   
Its a bit off topic, but im really interested in this. I live in Hungary, Europe and we are forced to learn 2 languages from primary school. Unfortunatelly the majority of the population still can't say a word in any foreign language. Whats the situtation in the USA? Are "real americans" good in other languages? In general.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 11:08 PM
link   
let's looks at this whole escapade for what is was: A snub to the US.

This guys speaks English just fine. But he brought a translator for the mere sake of attempting to make point.

"Hey! here I am speaking Spanish in the US! and there's nothing you can do about it!"

Actually, there is, Sir. You Will speak English or not at all."

I am sick of it.

And if you aren't: move to Miami or LA. Then you will be too.
edit on 17-6-2011 by capod2t because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 11:09 PM
link   
Yet another thread for the fading demographic of bigots, xenophobes and racists to complain about all sorts of nonsense.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 11:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by belsoember
Its a bit off topic, but im really interested in this. I live in Hungary, Europe and we are forced to learn 2 languages from primary school. Unfortunatelly the majority of the population still can't say a word in any foreign language. Whats the situtation in the USA? Are "real americans" good in other languages? In general.

Many Americans are only fluent in "English" (as it were), although many who grew up on the west coast or in parts of the south likely know Spanish or perhaps creole. I grew up in California and had to learn Spanish in high school. Many people in California speak both passably.

The people in this thread complaining about someone speaking Spanish are merely using this as an opportunity to vent their frustrations at become a minority in a country they like to think of as solely belonging to them.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 11:16 PM
link   
reply to post by incrediblelousminds

negative - enough is enough. come here to live - learn the language.

F the audacity to sit before elected officials, after having resided here for X number of years and insist on speaking a foreign language.

I say, "Bull#"

Want to come here and enjoy our culture and liberties? - learn the language and culture - ASSIMILATE.

Otherwise, go back where you came from.

End of story

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 11:18 PM
link   
And this coming from the same Texas legislature that has printed things in Spanish for years.

This is all nonsense. One person chooses to speak Spanish and somebody throws a hissy fit.

Maybe he ought to do some research so he can realize that English isn't dying anytime soon.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 11:18 PM
link   
reply to post by belsoember

Most Americans can barely speak (much less read or write) English. I took German for several years, but most of it has oozed out of my head since (no reason to use it, so my brain just locks it in a closet somewhere).

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 11:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vash

Thats insane

Insane, maybe. But not against the law.

IF your buddy's options for a job are only burger king, i might suggest he has far bigger concerns than blaming immigrants.

Of course, we all know the stupid, lazy, and incompetent are the first to seek out a scapegoat for their self-made situation.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 11:20 PM
link   
reply to post by capod2t

negative - enough is enough. come here to live - learn the language.

short of going for citizenship, name me one law that requires anyone to learn English.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 11:22 PM
link   
reply to post by capod2t

So you speak Chacta? Tsalagi? Menominee? Mahican? Croatan? Pequot? Salish? Comanche? Algonkin?

If not, please shut up and get the F* out of our country, anchor baby.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 11:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Vash

What state do you live in that requires you to speak spanish or you don't get a job?

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 11:24 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

Well, there Leatherneck - the naturalization test IS IN ENGLISH

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 11:26 PM
link   
Wow. I wont even go on vacation to a country where I do not speak the language, just because I don't want to be "that guy" that expects everyone else to bend over backwards for the English speaker.

To spend 23 years in a country and not even show the respect of learning the language? To quote the Senator.. "It is insulting".

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 11:26 PM
link   
reply to post by capod2t

the naturalization test IS IN ENGLISH

Sure is, but there is no requirement that everybody has to get their citizenship. Many don't.

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join