It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Software for disc clean up & converting video files. Any tips?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 03:50 AM
link   
Hi everyone,

First I'd like to say how much I love ATS, since I joined a whole world of valuable information has opened up to me, great people here,great threads, and I have to admit it seems like I use the ats search bar more often than google

Anyway. I am looking for a few software programs, freeware if possible and I was hoping someone could help me out.

What I need is a program that can convert video files into audio files(mp3) and I am also trying (without success) to find a program to clean up my computer. It seems I have arrived at the point where defragmentating and disk clean up have no effect whatsoever. My hard drive is completely full and I have no idea with what!

I tried deleting all the unnecessary software, I moved all my bigger files to a portable memory disc, all with very little effect.

So again:
1. Software to convert video to audio(mp3)
2. Software to really clean up my pc.

Really hope someone can help me out here
Thanks,
A.

edit on 17-6-2011 by dadgad because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 04:03 AM
link   
Hi,
Get Ccleaner at www.ccleaner.com, download from one of the mirrors, it's free.

Also try Wise Registry Cleaner and Wise Disk Cleaner, both free and have portable versions also.

www.wisecleaner.com...

I'm not much of a video editing guy, so not sure what to recommend.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 04:06 AM
link   
Cant think of video software off the top of my head (I dont use them much) but for disk cleanup start with CCleaner. It's free and will find all the temporary files your PC has accumulated as well as give you an option to clean up the registry. Depending on how long it's been since your cleaned up the temp files it could create a fairly large amount of extra space for you....

www.piriform.com...

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 04:24 AM
link   
Thanks a lot!

edit on 17-6-2011 by dadgad because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 04:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by dadgad
So again:
1. Software to convert video to audio(mp3)
2. Software to really clean up my pc.
So on 1 you just want to keep the audio track and trash the video track?

Try this:
AVI to MP3: Extract Audio from AVI(Audio Video Interleaved) Video to MP3(MPEG Layer-3)

If your disk is really full, don't you get an error when trying to run the disk defragmenter? I think you need a certain amount of free space for it to run, like maybe at least say 5-10% of the drive, depending on the drive size? At least that's been my experience. The ccleaner others mentioned works but I never have that many temp files.

Oh and this topic probably belongs in the forum called "computer help": www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 04:31 AM
link   
Any Video Converter is good and I believe does what you want to do. That's the name, I'm not being flippant.
www.any-video-converter.com...

As for the clean up, try this:
www.ubuntu.com...
I jest... Sort of.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 04:57 AM
link   
First thing first, get an”USB” external drive and save those files on USB drive “they are cheap and reliable), then use the command RUN and type %temp% to empty your temporary files on the disk (you’d be surprised about the amount of junks there).

Good luck.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 05:02 AM
link   
reply to post by dadgad

For converting videos the best free tool is mpeg streamclip
www.squared5.com...

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 05:08 AM
link   
to extract the audio from EVERY videofile use Goldwave...most succesful app to do this, just drag and drop the video file and you can save the audio...

editing...depends of the complexity...Sony Vegas if you really want to learn and do HQ jobs, otherwise i would use xilisoft video converter...

and btw for audio cuting use Cool Edit Pro
edit on 17-6-2011 by Hessdalen because: mindcontrol

edit on 17-6-2011 by Hessdalen because: mindcontrol

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 05:09 AM
link   
Thanks for all the information everyone, this is really helpful!

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 05:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Hessdalen

Thanks, no its not really about editing. The whole reason is that I have hours of Micheal Tsarion speaking, but its all video, so if I can turn it into mp3, i can listen to his idea's anywhere basically

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 05:16 AM
link   
reply to post by glitch88

Any Video Converter is good and I believe does what you want to do. That's the name, I'm not being flippant. www.any-video-converter.com... As for the clean up, try this: www.ubuntu.com... I jest... Sort of.

Ubuntu, that is an entirely different operating system right? Meaning I would replace windows with ubuntu? Is it any better?

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 05:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by dadgad
reply to post by glitch88

Any Video Converter is good and I believe does what you want to do. That's the name, I'm not being flippant. www.any-video-converter.com... As for the clean up, try this: www.ubuntu.com... I jest... Sort of.

Ubuntu, that is an entirely different operating system right? Meaning I would replace windows with ubuntu? Is it any better?

He was joking - he was saying the best way to fix your issue is to install a new Operating System

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 05:23 AM
link   
reply to post by dadgad

use goldwave, you wont be disappointed =)

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 05:27 AM
link   
reply to post by dadgad

Can i ask a couple of general questions?

What OS do you have?

How much Ram and what type of CPU?

How much media do you have on your hard drive? If you have a massive amount i would suggest an extra HD just for media or if it's easier for you just buy an external HD for media.

In regard to converters it's hard to find a good quality program that is freeware. You can get many on trial versions but they normally dont have full acess to all the features.

Just a question, why do you want to convert avi or mp4 to mp3?

I'm not an expert on converstion software but here are a couple i found that might be usefull and i will PM you some further advise on freeware vs purchase software.

www.aimonesoft.com...

www.softpedia.com...

In regard to the freeware i cant vouch for their quality and i say download at your own risk.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 05:29 AM
link   
reply to post by dadgad

Yes, it's a Linux distro. I was partly joking, but if you are somewhat technically minded you may find you have fewer problems with it. It is much easier to control what goes on in your computer and Ubuntu tries to make Linux more user friendly than previous distros. I've even got my computer illiterate mother using it on her computer. Ever since switching her over the midnight "my computer is broke" phone calls all but disappeared. Browse the forums over there at the link. There are tons of articles about switching from Windows.

ETA - Kryties, I'm a female.

edit on 6/17/2011 by glitch88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 05:35 AM
link   
reply to post by dadgad

There is also this program for extracting audio from an .avi or video file -

AoA audio Extractor

If you use Google search, just type ''how to extract audio from a video'' or ''avi'' it will give you many options.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 05:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by glitch88

ETA - Kryties, I'm a female.

Lol
Apologies Ma'am

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 05:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

Accepted. The internet can be a very ambiguous place.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 05:43 AM
link   
reply to post by dadgad

If your reluctant to give out your PC details online that is understandable. What i was going to say is perhaps you need to upgrade your RAM or CPU??

The next best thing i have founnd is a complete format or re-install of your OS (Operating System)

Most genuine PC's come with an install disk for Windows etc. It's not as hard or as scary as you may think, all you need to do is put the OS disk in and restart, the PC will run the disk from boot up and give you the options to re-install.

There are a re few things you need to remember before doing this though:

Back up all vital or important files, media and documents - an external HD would be perfect for this.

Make sure you have a copy of your drivers on disk or backed up, eg; Audio, Graphics.

Make sure you have an install disk that would have come from your ISP for your internet settings and modem drivers.

You will lose all previously installed updates and programs that didnt come standard with your OS. Updates are free but depending on how many updates you have, it may take awhile to download the ''upto date'' updates.

If you have purchased software or games online make sure your purchase is still valid and the software can be re-installed or you have the disks handy.

As i said it sounds scary and complicated but it's not that bad once you do it and your PC will run like new

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join