It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Google Cellular Entrapment??

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 01:07 AM
link   
Just accessed my google account for the first time in a long time. So after I get to the site I encounter a screen prompting me to give my cell # so they can text me my security confirm if i loose my password etc...I declined to give the number and clicked continue. THen a moment later as I tried to start a blog, it prompted me to confirm with my cell # again. the only option from the screen for verification was my #...so I used the contact link to send an email....

oops caps on title...but it looks better a
Is this not some type of infringement in right....to imply I need a cell # to access my google account and complicating it so I would be encouraged to take the easy route and just give them my #. What if I do not have a cell, or do not want to give them my # for that matter...

I have never encountered something so ridiculous...it insinuates I need to give my cell # to a mega corporation so I can create a blog...I know its very insignificant in many ways...but in a fundamental human rights kinda way it struck me as odd....

FEEL FREE TO TELL ME I AM DELUSIONAL....i had tried to ignore the recent posts regarding googles underhanded behavior lately...but now I may have to give it more credence...
edit on 17-6-2011 by Drala because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 01:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Drala

LOL I just noticed, title almost implies a genetic conspiracy...i didn't mean that kinda cell...

But now that the dots are there lets connect for fun...what if they want us to all have cell because it disrupts our genetics?? I know I know...thats crazy non sense...just thought would be fun to connect the two ideas....

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 01:11 AM
link   
This doesnt happen on linux. I'd switch to pclinux os, or at least dual boot.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 01:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Drala

nah mate.. thats just a google bug.. if you report it then they will fix it.

Dont get them all paranoid dude!

Peace

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 01:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Unity_99
This doesnt happen on linux. I'd switch to pclinux os, or at least dual boot.

DO NOT DO THIS UNLESS YOU KNOW WHAT YOUR DOING OR AT LEAST WANT A NEW LEARNING CURVE TO FOLLOW.

I use BSD variants as an OS.. but i find its a waste of time trying to promote it to your everyday windows users due to the changes.

whilst many of the new distro's are user friendly.. they aint that easy to get around.. and things like flash do not simply work out of the box unless your using a tweaked distro complete with non-free addons.. which in turn is just as bad on a security front as using windows anyway. but meh...

Peace

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 01:20 AM
link   
Here is a tip. When the google webiste screen comes up wanting your mobile number, do not enter anything, just press save, on the bottom of the page. I just got this, and I did not enter my phone number I left it blank. I just pressed save on the bottom of the page and that was that.

I deep down think that google is trying to get as much info of a person they can possibly get, I wonder if that is what one gets for "free".

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 01:21 AM
link   
reply to post by w3nd1g0

A bug?? It was more like a screen with one spot to verify....asking cell info. I emailed them and they have returned my email saying its just security options so they take little info. I am just saying they only options on the screen was enter cell # or Contact them....i had to wait for them to write me back. Many people would not wait...they would be "more" inclined to disclose. I am not saying this is a massive conspiracy...i just know who often those #s and email addys get sold so other companies can spam you later....

And I would not doubt google "shares" info with certain other companies so they can tailor advertising etc...just saying it made me feel pressure to give them my #....and that was the first time I had encountered this request..

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 01:22 AM
link   
reply to post by wiredamerican

That was the first screen I had...i clicked save aswell, but then I was prompted for my # again within seconds....

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 01:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

If I need to switch my operating system to access them now...um is that sensible?? As I say...its would be alot easier to just give them my # lol....but it's the principal of it...

I actually asked them if i requested would they delete my account totally....I am not going to use thier services if that is thier way of conducting buisness...and I think many are doing the same...BOYCOTT hmmm

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 01:39 AM
link   
boycotting google would be like boycotting food for most americans
i mean the website is so massive thay make phones for goodness sake

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 01:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Drala

it's not a bug... and no, you're not delusional by finding this infuriating. facebook has been asking me for my number too. also, on facebook, if you want to create a 'fanpage' or a page for a band, you have to give your driver's license number and all this nonsense. it's just going to keep happening and happening until most of us are desensitized to it.. oh wait... most of us already are. uh oh

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 02:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by bacci0909
reply to post by Drala

it's not a bug... and no, you're not delusional by finding this infuriating. facebook has been asking me for my number too. also, on facebook, if you want to create a 'fanpage' or a page for a band, you have to give your driver's license number and all this nonsense. it's just going to keep happening and happening until most of us are desensitized to it.. oh wait... most of us already are. uh oh

It is illegal for anyone to require your drivers license number. At least in PA it is. I had a bank try to take down mine for making a large withdrawl. I said you can look at my drivers license for ID, but you can't have my numbers. And it wasn't an ID issue either. Since they know my husband (who was there) by name. Well, the pain in the arse manager called corporate and I was right. Later, I went and took the rest of my money elsewhere for the hard time they gave me.

Anyways you can also give google your land line number. Which for most, is no secret since it is published in phonebooks. I can understand keeping ones cell number a secret though.

new topics

top topics

join