It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Unicorn" Brought Back From Extinction

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 12:58 AM
link   
Well, not really. The Arabian Oryx, an antelope species, that was believed to be extinct since 1972 and is believed to be the source of the unicorn legend, has been brought back to life. Through a breeding program they have been able to bring the population back up to 1,000.

This is an amazing story to me and hopefully they are able to use this breeding program to bring back other extinct animals and help stop other species from going extinct, that are close to it.

www.foxnews.com...

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 01:06 AM
link   
reply to post by theUNKNOWNawaits

Dammit! I wanted to read about unicorns!

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 01:07 AM
link   

That is really encouraging to know.

Thanks, OP.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 01:08 AM
link   
How is this a unicorn? Its not even 1 horned, it has 2 horns. And I see noone will credit Oberon Zell-Ravenheart with SUCCESSFULLY recovering the formula for creating unicorns.

Zell-Ravenheart also co-founded the Ecosophical Research Association in 1977, an organization that explores the truth behind myths. This group was known for the "living unicorns" they created by minor surgery to the horn buds of goats. One of their unicorns, Lancelot, toured with the Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus.[5]

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 01:13 AM
link   
This type of oryx is though by some to be the source of the unicorn legend because when they are born, its possible to bind their horns together. After a while the horns grow into one which protrudes from the centre of their 'forehead'. They are also extremely aggressive.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 01:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Swills

Haha, same thing I was saying after reading the article. But it is a good sign that we might be able to do this with other animals and not see so many be gone forever.

reply to post by Frater210

Your welcome. Definitely thought it was worth sharing.

reply to post by celticpride

Thank you, celticpride. I was just about to post the same thing in response to chancemusky, yet you beat me to the punch.

reply to post by chancemusky

And I would not call doing surgery to goats to create a goaticorn, successfully recovering the formula for creating unicorns. Yet that is just me and to each his own.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 01:29 AM
link   

Well binding the horns of the oryx is not qualifiable as a unicorn then either. And Unicorns were never horses, seeing as they have no horns. Theres the Taurine, or bull like unicorn, caprine or goatlike, and arien or ram like.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 01:37 AM
link   
reply to post by chancemusky

No it does not qualify it as a unicorn and I never said that it was.
The thread title is taken from the article title.
And celticpride and I, were just explaining why some people think the Arabian Oryx is believed to be the SOURCE of the unicorn LEGEND.
No where do I or the article say that the Arabian Oryx are unicorns.
I wish unicorns were real, but alas......

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 01:39 AM
link   
So using science and technology does give "new life" to a dying species. That's great news. I wonder if it is possible to "resurrect" all extinct species, too.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 01:42 AM
link   
reply to post by pikypiky

Exactly. It does pose a huge question. How far back can it go?
If we can bring back a species that was supposedly extinct for 39 years.
Can we then bring back a species that has been extinct for over a century or centuries?
What about the dinosaurs?

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Ok so it is being said that these may have been the start of the legend of the UNICORNS that is full of crap.

Why well here it goes

Unicorns were describe as being a wild beast untamed and untouched by man. It was a special creature created by God to show his strength The horns of these here The Arabian Oryx can have their horns formed into looking like a single horn that is crazy thoughts I mean what did people go and look for these animals and as they were babies formed their horns and then would say oh look it is a unicorn not likely at all. It would take a very long time for the horns to form that way and their horns grow upwards not out like a unicorns horn that grew from the center of its head between the eyes not on top of their heads.

Now the way we see unicorns are not they way they really were but there were creatures that were thought to have been unicorns unicorns are even spoken of in the bible

Read the following source it was the first one I pulled up so I am sure there are better sources out there then this but this seems to do a good job about telling about the unicorn in the bible.
www.answersingenesis.org...[e ditby]edit on 6/17/11 by Queenicess because: link was messed up

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 02:15 PM
link   

I do not see how this is good news. At the very least, this is troubling. Man trying to play god yet again. I'm sure this will end well. I'm sure the thing went extinct for a reason and should probably stay extinct.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Queenicess

I agree and thanks for the source.
I'll have to check others and look more into the unicorn tellings in the Bible.

reply to post by darius2025

Maybe, maybe not. Though it did go extinct do to us killing them. I feel it is right we helped this species come back from extinction and fixed one of our mistakes.
Just my thoughts.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Swills

Dammit! I wanted to read about unicorns!

LOL, well if you wish to read about unicorns, you can always turn to the fairy-tale book called the Bible. Lots of verses about unicorns in there. Also you have talking donkeys, and talking snakes too!!

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 03:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Queenicess

The oryx was probably brought to the attention of the Crusaders, and used in an attempt to prove to the world that the Christians were right, and everyone else was subservient to them. Religious fanatics get everywhere...even those who consider themselves to be 'Christian'.

new topics

top topics

active topics

join