It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Amazing image of Britain illuminated at night.. and taken from the internation space station!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 11:50 PM
link   
Source

I know its dirty.. I know the power stations cause pollution..but this image is just amazing.. like a huge xmas tree shot from 1000's of miles away!

Its very rare that the UK gets a clear enough sky to take these kinds of awesome photo's.

Enjoy and post your thoughts!

Peace

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 02:36 AM
link   
Photos from space are always amazing.

This sort of looks like a photo of a lava lake, with the hot & 'cool' spots in orange & black.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 05:57 AM
link   
If I've told the kids once, I've told them a thousand times, turn the bloody lights out!

I am now using these photos as evidence that they need to turn the lights out.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 07:16 AM
link   
reply to post by w3nd1g0

Although this is a beautiful set of pictures, it just shows how crowded and how light polluted our little country is.
I would give anything to be able to view the night sky in all its glory.
I can count the number of stars i can see on my hands, its that bad here!

Oh well

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 11:56 AM
link   
I remember a time when looking up at the dark nights sky i could see an infinite amount of stars speckled across the entire sky, sometimes you could even make out the milky way if you looked hard enough.
Now with light pollution as great as it is, one of the greatest natural sights that an earth dweller could see is gone and you are left with none but the brightest stars and planets.
It is such a shame

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Thats amazing,always facinated seeing pictures of earth from space,sadly where i live (plymouth) you can't quite see on the map
that last picture just shows how big the earth is,hopefully 1 day i'll be able to look down on the planet & take pictures.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 03:18 PM
link   
great photo!! You can nearly see my house!!

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Rob37n

Haha....was thinking same thing!
Then I realised your in Hull too

We do look isolated under Newcastle, Sunderland and Midlesbourgh!

S&F OP for a fascinating image!

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 03:27 PM
link   
that is truly stunning,a very nice thought to go to sleep on thank you
goodnight

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Wow !

Thats amazing

Thank you for sharing, nice find, S+F

Wouldn't it be amazing if the whole country could sync itself that we could produce a picture that could be taken form the ISS, using the light pollution, like the peace sign, the solar system, or perhaps anonymous (protest through art ? mmmmm).

If space be our vantage point, then let a country be our canvas

edit on 17-6-2011 by solargeddon because: Typos

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by boo1981
reply to post by w3nd1g0

Although this is a beautiful set of pictures, it just shows how crowded and how light polluted our little country is.
I would give anything to be able to view the night sky in all its glory.
I can count the number of stars i can see on my hands, its that bad here!

Oh well

You say that, but the photo almost makes it look like there's more space between the big towns and cities. With Ashford, Folkestone, Dover, Canterbury being nicely spread out in Kent!

Shame the reality is that they're all only a 15 minute drive from eachother and growing larger every year. Especially in Ashford with all the new estates popping up taking more of the countryside away.
edit on 17-6-2011 by TrueInstinct because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 05:14 PM
link   
I have to say , heard a significant amount of chat about the amount of light pollution, and that is something that annoys me no end of course. But there are vast swathes of the UK that do not suffer this problem. If you look at the image, there are clearly several areas which have little to no visible light pouring out.
Just an observation.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 05:18 PM
link   
I can see my house from there!!! lol

seriously though i can make up the collection of towns in medway that i come from and this pic makes me want to move even more!

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 05:25 PM
link   
It's a bit depressing, I'm with the poster above who mentioned the light pollution. As someone who lives in one of the most light polluted nations around and is a backyard astronomer that picture saddens me greatly. I don't think it should be lauded. It's wasteful and unnecessary, sure it's a nice picture but that's not what I see first.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 05:40 PM
link   
While the photos are as amazing as they come... and I'm not the most tree-huggery person there is...

It still looks like a cancer or unchecked viral growth on the surface of an organism.

Eerie yet jaw dropping. Inspiring yet cringing.

Like the poster said above... Turn off the damn lights!

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 12:06 AM
link   
reply to post by w3nd1g0

THE aliens are out there and Earth had better watch out, at least according to Stephen Hawking. He has suggested that extraterrestrials are almost certain to exist — but that instead of seeking them out, humanity should be doing all it that can to avoid any contact.
www.timesonline.co.uk...

Looks like we blew our cover.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 12:22 AM
link   
Wow, you poor ol soles in the "Muva Contry", looks like your covered in bushfires.....

The thing I dont understand is that your little plot of Earth looks like its completely filled with people, but when I watch some English show on TV, youve got all these HUGE rich country castles with 100s of acres of natural land, or great fields of crops full of circles, or the 1000s of square miles of Moors or Woodland, and little villages surrounded by green fields as far as the eye can see........But looking at this photo, every inch of England seems to be inhabited....So what is it? Cant be crowded at all. Half of you have moved to Oz anyway.

BTW, when I look in the sky I can see for billions of light years, Milky Way, all the stars you can think of, like diamonds in the sky.....and Im in the suburbs of a normal city. Oh well.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by gort51
Wow, you poor ol soles in the "Muva Contry", looks like your covered in bushfires.....

The thing I dont understand is that your little plot of Earth looks like its completely filled with people, but when I watch some English show on TV, youve got all these HUGE rich country castles with 100s of acres of natural land, or great fields of crops full of circles, or the 1000s of square miles of Moors or Woodland, and little villages surrounded by green fields as far as the eye can see........But looking at this photo, every inch of England seems to be inhabited....So what is it? Cant be crowded at all. Half of you have moved to Oz anyway.

BTW, when I look in the sky I can see for billions of light years, Milky Way, all the stars you can think of, like diamonds in the sky.....and Im in the suburbs of a normal city. Oh well.

Yeah, you've been watching a fairytale video about Britain! If you know where to look you can find that stuff, but it's like 2% of the country

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Looks like theres a party in glamorgan compared to the rest of wales. No wonder my electricity bill is so big. It is quite depressing to think about the light pollution, however a picture like this is awesome to look at.
edit on 18-6-2011 by thedoctorswife because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 03:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Rob37n

an EMP strike will fix that

top topics

<<   2 >>

join