It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Old worm won't die after 2008 attack on U.S. military

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Old worm won't die after 2008 attack on U.S. military

www.reuters.com

Three years after what the Pentagon called the most significant breach of U.S. military networks ever, new versions of the malware blamed for the attack are still roiling U.S. networks, Reuters has learned.

The malware at issue, known as "agent.btz," infiltrated the computer systems of the U.S. Central Command in 2008, at a time when it was running wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.

The attack established what Deputy Defense Secretary William Lynn called "a digital beachhead" for a foreign intelligence agency to attempt to steal data.
(visit the link for the full news article)

+5 more 
posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 10:41 PM
link   
Ok .. if the latest anon, lulz. attacks on some pretty important business interests hasn't swayed you...

Now the gov't is coming forth with this?

OH please! please! I beg the US government to step in and save us all! perhaps some more access to private info.. perhaps some gov't intervention to PROTECT US...

I don't think we even need a script..

we already know the lines... :shk:

www.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 10:46 PM
link   
im a hacker somewhat,it would be cool if i could get a copy of this w0rm even if its just for lolz

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 10:55 PM
link   
I will gladly hand over my IP, browsing history, and personal info to the ISP I am registered to in order to protect myself against such malicious hackers and their software!

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 10:59 PM
link   
reply to post by JacKatMtn

This isn't the work of basement dwelling wannabe hackers.

This is likely the work of Chinese intelligence, and should be taken seriously.

There is a very real cyber-war going on here, and you're only getting bits and pieces of it... A lot of it is currently being covered with blame on well known hacker groups.

World war can break out as a result of exactly these kind of cyber attacks and espionage.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 11:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Fractured.Facade

My apologies for not goose stepping to this sequence of events...

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 11:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by JacKatMtn

Oh hell, in that case, sit back, relax, grab some brew and popcorn, and enjoy the entertainment, while it lasts.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 11:05 PM
link   
Wow, I guess there are some dense IT folks at the pentagon.
I could fix the prob and I have no degree in that arena.
Looks like the next boogieman to me.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 11:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fractured.Facade

Originally posted by JacKatMtn

Oh hell, in that case, sit back, relax, grab some brew and popcorn, and enjoy the entertainment, while it lasts.

wait a minute ur enjoying slow desicretion of human rights tooo .shoot i thought i was the only one

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 11:08 PM
link   

No problem...

popcorn's great...

it's the movie..and script,

that is uninspiring..

tired, if you will...

They will have to do better next time...

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 11:09 PM
link   

my goodnes.. just think ... all we need to do to hide and keep our secrets. is to go back to the Card catalog and put them on a shelf/////......

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 11:10 PM
link   

Wow, that was three years ago and they are still having issues?

Do you know anything about their systems and how it might still be affecting?

One would have thought that they would have the very best of system analysers and engineers that money could buy!

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 11:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Revolution9

Exactly...

3 years... and it's still an issue?

Yeah.. I am buying this..

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 11:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Revolution9

Wow, that was three years ago and they are still having issues?

No its mutating, and variants are showing up, each are harder to detect, and eliminate.

It's affecting defense networks, that are suppose to be completely secure and immune to this.

Contrary to popular conspiracy theories surrounding this (popcorn included) this is a part of a very real and dangerous cyber-war between US and foreign intelligence agencies, and their affiliated proxies.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 11:20 PM
link   

This sounds very troubling.. why is this vulnerability being brought forth in the NEWS ...

NOW?

Continue?

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 11:31 PM
link   
Why do I have this creepy feeling that we're constantly being softened up for something? Anybody else noticed this? It's almost as if... Hey! Wait a minute....

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 11:38 PM
link   

Good question, why go public now?

Perhaps the problem is worsening, and as time goes on, eventually they will come forward with who they believe is responsible. (In the report an anonymous source claims that Russia is the prime suspect)

Personally, I believe it is the work of the Chinese, but wouldn't rule out an alliance with the Russians here.

This could be seen as an act of war, and potentially spark an international crisis, if that ultimately happens, with no transparency NOW, as in this news report.... Then no one would know what was going on.

This is likely only the first of many reports on this as time goes on.

I'm afraid this one is serious... Hopefully not, only time will tell ultimately.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 11:40 PM
link   

With respect to you, I must dare mention that the whole kit and kaboodle might have to be shut down
to reboot the newer secure system that is fundamentally more sound and solid.

The original system is (as we all know) so full of loopholes and sketchy code, that we are all living in a world
of udates and patches. Who knew it would grow to this magnitude so quickly?

The world is so overdue and ripe for new technology, that is a given.

Yet in retrospect, it appears that an alarming number of people on this planet have not evolved in parallel
to the new freedoms (and personal responcibility) that these new technologies demand of us as individuals.

It is blatently obvious that mismamagement of not only governments,but societies as well, has put a damper
on the release of new technology. It only takes a few fools who like to screw things up, to ruin it for all of us.

Thanks for the Post and link! Stay Focused! S&F

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 11:43 PM
link   
thats what you get when your employees use dod networks to download illegal movies and music.

hackers? maybe but its also likely that p2p is the cause of this and they are just passing it off as "hacking"

to save face
edit on 16-6-2011 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 11:49 PM
link   

Not to be too confrontational, this is ATS.. and the members here are more critical, more aware, and less likely to fall for this kind of revelation, granted we are few in comparison to those this kind of news will target.

Do I? suggest that there isn't a hidden WAR occurring? NO...

It's been going on for a long time...

But what is that war for?

To help solve humanitarian crises worldwide? or is it all about power and $$$...?

I .. for one... am all about the people...

what is the end game? at least in your opinion...?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join