It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stuxnet - Anatomy of a Computer Virus

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 10:14 PM
link   
Ready to shake in your shoes? This video breaking down how Stuxnet works and where it could go next is flat out frightening. (And if this wasn't a government program, I'll eat a centrifuge.)

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 10:26 PM
link   
reply to post by solid007

I really wasn't prepared to be shaking in my shoes, but I am starting to feel uneasy. The implications are here. Sooner or later, I say within a few years, power facilities and airplanes and anything else using computers will be able to be completely overridden and abused by those who desire to do such things. Looking at that sentence, I realize that these things exist already. I should go back but meh, it makes the point. We are not in control. S&F!

CJ
edit on 16-6-2011 by ColoradoJens because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 10:39 PM
link   
amazing find. could be dirty government work, or it could be a hacker finally striving for some serious goals. s+f

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 11:18 PM
link   
cheers guys , that is what thee "anonymous" was using lately

edit on 16-6-2011 by solid007 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 12:37 AM
link   
Good fine OP. Definitely a high tech virus. Yet, I see it as an attempt of cyber fear mongering by the US Govt.

Being available online and open source can make it into something more dangerous, yet at the same time it can be reversed engineered to better protect and safeguard systems from it.

Since the war on terrorism is in decline, I suspect the next war on terror will be cyber terrorism and govt sponsored terrorism. Online liberties will be stripped away in the name of fighting cyber terrorism.

This virus scare almost seems eerily similar to the scare of WMD's. A potential threat, yet not a real threat. This "dangerous" virus could provide a reason for the US to enact Internet bills like the IP Protect ACT or another bill that strips privacy away from anonymous online activity to protect us from cyber terrorists.

Sooner than we can imagine - The US Govt will be pushing through a "Patriot Act" Internet bill.

edit on 17-6-2011 by matito because:

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 12:51 AM
link   
Ah I saw this on Gizmodo today. Really a good find and I thought the video was great. It's disturbing to think what may be lurking around in our infrastructure. So OP who do you think was behind the virus? Think Israel is advanced enough? I sort of think it was the US who then dropped in some Hebrew stuff to throw people of the trail.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 02:58 AM
link   
I had no idea this virus was so complex and advanced.

Indeed some frightening prospects for the use of such pervasive technology. The world's first true cyber weapon of mass destruction.
edit on 17-6-2011 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 03:15 AM
link   
I've herd rumors about Stuxnet being responsible for some malfunction at #4 reactor of fukushima last x-mas.

After watching this video i am not reassured at all.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn

are we few people the only ones who are interested in this topic? i cruise the ufo forum a lot and there is just sooo much bunk garbage in there that gets evaluated over and over again. here is a real threat to the world that has been PROVEN. i dont understand why this thread is being glossed over. if this tech was (or still is?) that pervasive in iran, it could be lurking everywhere. just on the fact alone that it is in the npp's in iran, tptb could use that as a step in what im sure will be the laundry list that they use to justify coralling the interwebz, just like they have been doing to america since the founding of this great country!

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by CigSmokinMan

Always keep in my David Coperfield and the hot woman.
The hot woman is probably the ufo bunk.
While David perform his illusions.

Making you sound, saying this deserve more attention.
edit on 17-6-2011 by eagleeye2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Open code? Holy crap.

At least we know now that it was not originated from Apple.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by CigSmokinMan

I'm not sure why this is being glossed over either. I agree that this is a serious threat to the world. You'd think the world's first digital nuke would be of some importance.

I will say this. After doing some reading on the growth of networks and picking up some material by futurists, I have to say that this virus is a predictable consequence of our ever connected world. As networks become more and more complex, and humans become more and more adept at navigating these networks, it stands to reason that there would be a certain groups of elite hackers(internet warriors/terrorists) that can and will use this to their advantage. What we are seeing today with Anonymous, LULZSec, the Stuxnet virus, and other virtual phenomena is part of it and it will only continue to grow and get more and more sophisticated.

All of this keeps bringing to mind Ghost in the Shell.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Ok, so talking to a programmer, he brought up 2 good points.
If it is open source, then the End of Days Flaw is done, as it's open source and can be examined by those being attacked.
And if it is available online, then McAfee and such will have access to it.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by macman

An Anti-virus can only guard against certain permutations of the virus itself. If I get a copy of Stuxnet and decide to re-write certain parts of it in a manner in which I see fit, anti-virus software would need to know how that was done. It would need to have copies of my keys, so to speak.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn

I understand that, but the program engineer can write an anti-virus using wildcard applications, that would cover a lot of this.
But, I will agree that they can't create an all covering blanket to combat this.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 12:18 PM
link   
so got a half joke half serious question. does stux=skynet? and also u guys obviously know the hacker/gov tension is getting pretty hot- pure speculation but, what happens if tptb shut down internet in america?

join