It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Reoccurring Nightmares

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 09:46 PM
link   
MODS, PLEASE MOVE IF THIS IS NOT THE APPROPRIATE FORUM

Snake Invasion!

So, I just saw a post with the title of 'Idaho House Infested With Snakes'. I refuse to look any further into the story.
Not because of an outright fear of snakes. I mean, when I come across them in the wild, I don't shriek and run away. I usually observe in awe.

However, when I have a nightmare (for as long as I can remember) they usually involve my home being intruded upon by a very large snake, sometimes many snakes. And they are usually evil as hell. Not like just any ol snake, these things are demonic (for lack of a better word). Sometimes I wake from these nightmares, and find myself still dreaming, and BAM, snake gets me while my guard is down. But it's always a feeling as if I am being hunted.

I probably have maybe 3 nightmares a year, but when I do, It's usually this same dream.

So that's my reoccurring nightmare. I invite you to post your reoccurring nightmare stories, or, maybe put some meaning behind my nightmare, or the nightmares of anyone else who posts theirs.

I look forward to hearing yours, and will be excited if I find someone else has the same nightmare.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 09:55 PM
link   
once you realize that dreams are bullsh-t, you won't have any fears when you have one.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 10:04 PM
link   
reply to post by randomname

I don't think that the fear you get in a nightmare is a conscious act. Whether or not dreams are bull[snip] (which I don't think they are) that's kind of like saying, "Once you realize a sneeze it just the expulsion of air caused by foreign particles irritating you nasal cavity, it wont tickle anymore "

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by randomname
once you realize that dreams are bullsh-t, you won't have any fears when you have one.

Utterly false.

Dreaming is a very complex process that is still not very well understood. I would encourage you to read Freud's The Interpretation of Dreams. Its not perfect but it provides keen insight especially since Freud kept a dream journal since a young boy. Dreams also have been theorized to be an influencing factor or the very substance of the subconscious mind.

Be careful cause recurrence of this dream could potential invoke an uncontrollable fear.

At this moment I won't go into some of my distinct recurring dreams because they are extreme to the point of being beyond the point of human experience yet a part of human experience. It is hard to explain but I will do a post on them one day after I read Freud's book.

edit on 16-6-2011 by ThisIsMyName because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 10:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Lighterside

recurring dreams - usually v. lucid - of urban wastelands and running from the unseen.

the unseen is implied, always, as bands of gun toting crazies (zombies). no cars around.

one in particular has been so real i felt i was literally there - at my childhood home -

and it was completely out of place and time (cold, dry mud; few people, no cars, patchwork repairs

on all the homes) etc.

always running away from something, something fearful.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 10:14 PM
link   
To better understand your nightmare, I would like to say that I have also had reoccuring nightmares if similar nature, and have found some solace in answers I received online as well as from a friend. After receiving this information, I went a step further and made a conscious effort to take control. Let me explain...

I used to have the same dream about being chased by men and animals... every single time I would find myself running for my life in different environments (urban, dense jungle, open plain) and being chased by angry men with hungry hounds. Once I remember climbing over a fence too high for them to reach, and on the other side that I landed on the terrain changed to a dark jungle with dinosaurs, who seemed to be indifferent of my presence. Another time, I was running through a neighborhood I grew up in as a kid, and came across 3 brothers, and their mother I knew... none of which would offer me quarters, so I kept fleeing from the faceless men and their dogs. I never got caught, always woke up in the midst of running, until now...

I realized that having a reoccuring dream or nightmare meant that my subconscious was trying to tell me something needs to change, and that I am running from that change in my life. So, I sat down and took an analytical look at my life... things that are favorable, unfavorable, what I want to do, and what was I doing to make it happen?

2 years later, my views, habits, awareness has changed all around me in every aspect of my life and have not had the same dream since.

As for the snakes, I have read that they represent rebirth, so perhaps you are wanting to change something about your home that you have been neglecting... or perhaps you require a new space to call home as you feel something is amiss with this one...

Either the case, I wish you the best of luck in your journey, and remember... dreams are the language of the soul, and it tends to speak in symbolism.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 10:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Kevinquisitor

Pretty insightful thank you, and thank you for sharing yours.

For me however, My nightmare has been variations of the same for as long as I can remember, even when I was a kid. Though, I've lived in several 'homes'. Sometimes the home in my dream isn't always the same home I am currently living in, sometimes its altered from any home I've ever had, but there's always the sense, or knowing, that I am in my home.

Funny you say rebirth though. I've always felt like I've had a very very old soul, and have felt the possibility that I have had many many many lives.

reply to post by drphilxr

Funny how the same nightmare can be experienced in variations isn't it? Could be another setting or any other random variation, but you know it's the same as you've experienced before.

edit on 16-6-2011 by Lighterside because: multireply

join