It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Great News!!: Congress bans FDA from approving genetically modified fish

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by EthanT

Good advice, although my own understanding is that even something labeled nonGMO or Organic is not a 100% guarantee that it is 100% GMO free. This is because of the way that those massive crops (corn and soy) are grown, harvested, and processed. The opportunity for cross-contamination in the field or in storage is too great to really be 100% certain.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by DevolutionEvolvd

Let's get a better, more conclusive understanding of how these foods react in our bodies before labeling thing "good" or "bad".
edit on 18-6-2011 by DevolutionEvolvd because: (no reason given)

Many folks who are anti-GMO, including me, will admit they have potential to be useful, with proper research and under the right applications. What a lot of folks oppose is the way they are being used now, and how very little research is being done to determine the safety of the GMOs before being pushed to market.

Monsantos does some supposed safety research claiming their products are safe, but then they say the results are "proprietary" and nobody is allowed to see them.

Later, when you see publicly avaible research showing the opposite - that they may not be safe - one has to wonder about how responsibly these GMOs are being used.

That's my main complaint. We have a LOT more to learn before they can be used responsibly.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by incrediblelousminds
reply to post by EthanT

Good advice, although my own understanding is that even something labeled nonGMO or Organic is not a 100% guarantee that it is 100% GMO free. This is because of the way that those massive crops (corn and soy) are grown, harvested, and processed. The opportunity for cross-contamination in the field or in storage is too great to really be 100% certain.

Yes, most definitely, you are correct!

Many folks feel there is a deliberate attempt to contaminate organicly grown food. For one thing, it could potentially rid Monsantos of a lot of business competitors ... and what huge corporation wouldn't like that.

This relates back to my last post. These GMOs are just not being used responsibly yet. We don't fully understand how much of the cross-contamintion even occurs, yet GMOs are being pushed all over the place. It's dangerous, imho.

edit on 18-6-2011 by EthanT because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 03:47 PM
link   

reply to post by Amaterasu

any local farmers markets in my region accept food stamps.

There're farmer's markets here that take the stamps - but I can go to the heath food store and pay less. It's weird.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by DevolutionEvolvd

Get a second job. Or third. Buy in bulk (one whole/half cow). Make a garden. Eat more of the cheaper organic foods (fruits and vegetables) and eat the more expensive on occasion (meat).

Since I have been trying to find ONE job, getting a second and a third is beyond Me at the moment. (I am limited in what I can do - cannot stand for more than about 1/2 hour.) I already do eat the cheapest stuff I can find (but am beholden to the pantries for whatever they offer). I am virtually a vegetarian.

I'm not saying everybody has the luxury of being able to choose their food source so effortlessly. However, until the data on GMO consumption becomes less ambiguous and more conclusive, especially on genetically modified animal products, then there isn't much of an argument.

I WILL say that virtually everyOne on food stamps cannot keep Their diets pure.

You have a choice:

A) Choose to consume cheaper, genetically modified food which has a health-science data record that is the very definition of ambiguity. You're taking a risk by consuming such foods, as scientists have not arrived at a consensus about the possible long-term side effects of GMO consumption.

Well... When it's that or not eating for two weeks out of every month...

B) Choose to consume more expensive, organic foods that are not inherently deleterious in nature. However, there can be a financial risk by choosing this route. Some sacrifices may be needed by lower income families. (a side note: although it may seem financially burdening to spend more money on food, if GMO consumption does cause long term side-effects in the form of chronic illness, it's quite reasonable to assume that consuming organic food is a preventative measure and will save one from an even more financially burdening factor: Medical Bills.)

Considering I am already trying to maintain as healthy a diet as I might, I'm going to tell You... There ain't anything left to sacrifice. As is the case for most people on food stamps.

Until the science becomes clearer, the government should stay the hell out of it and let the scientists do their jobs. Last time they stepped in to prevent obesity and heart disease....they made a severely premature assessment and issued guidelines that were not consensus at the time. Only after the public health authorities began repeating the mantra did it become common dietary knowledge. And, sadly, those very recommendations probably caused us to become more obese, atherosclerotic and extremely diabetic.

While I agree with You in principle, because the love of money leads to profitable actions that are even completely counter to the public's interests, there needs to be one of two things: governmental restraint or eliminating the need for money. This is why We have so many drugs pulled and law suits filed. The "testing" is a lick and a promise, done by the company that wants to sell the stuff.

I have great fear in allowing money-lovers to release into uncontrolled spaces frankenspecies that may wind up throwing the ecology of the planet awry without a great deal of study, at the bare minimum by a disinterested party.

Let's get a better, more conclusive understanding of how these foods react in our bodies before labeling thing "good" or "bad".

Um... Let's get a better, more conclusive understanding of how these foods react in Our bodies before allowing them free reign in Our biosphere.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by EthanT

Originally posted by Amaterasu

Well, though I am on food stamps and often rely on charity food pantries to make it to the end of the month, still I do what I can towards those ends.

But I tell Ya... I know I'm not able to keep My diet "pure." Do You have suggestions for those on food stamps...?

Just avoiding any corn and soy that does not specifically say "nonGMO" is a great start.

But, be aware corn and soy is in a lot of stuff! Ever notice "soy lecithin" in many ingredient lists. I ordered a pizza the other night and was surprised to find out they use corn in making the dough somehow.

So, easier said than done, but it is possible.

Oh, believe Me. I am always on the lookout. My friends tease Me about reading labels. But when food stamps run out half way through the month, and One is obliged to go to the local food pantry for the other two...One has few options (though now and again I get organic bread...).

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 05:05 PM
link   

do you have a large corporate organic store near you?

i hear tell it's quite easy to liberate food from such places.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 05:35 PM
link   

do you have a large corporate organic store near you?

i hear tell it's quite easy to liberate food from such places.

Not really, and besides, I, as an Advocate of Ethics, must be starving near death before I could justify...er...liberating anything.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Slow Kill Genetically Modified Organisms (Food) GMO's = Almost 80% percent of the processed food at your local non organic grocery store and ALL fast food is irradiated and contaminated with toxic spermicidal GMO corn, soybeans, canola, sugar beets, alfalfa, papaya, zucchini, rice and salmon which slowly poison and sterilize you and your children. = Genetic Pollution, Obesity, Tumors, Cancers, Sterility, Infertility, Organ Damage, Miscarriages, Birth Defects, Neurological, Immunological and Chronic Diseases.

Check out MONSANTO.

-----
(snip)
-----

edit on Tue 21 Jun 2011 by Hellmutt because: T&C § 19) Advertising

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by SmokeAndMirror
GMO corn, soybeans, canola, sugar beets, alfalfa, papaya, zucchini, rice and salmon which slowly poison and sterilize you and your children. = Genetic Pollution, Obesity, Tumors, Cancers, Sterility, Infertility, Organ Damage, Miscarriages, Birth Defects, Neurological, Immunological and Chronic Diseases.

Where have you found reliable data linking any of those things to the consumption of GMO? Most people's contention with GMO in the market place is the LACK of testing.

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 11:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by EarthCitizen07
Great news indeed!

Anything that is genetically modified should not be allowed for consumption for the simple reason that playing with nature and basing small test samples on superficial, short-term results is definitely risky and probably stupid.

If you can't afford natural food that means your either lazy or spending too much money elsewhere.

Aye, the only genetic engineering we should be doing is via the Mendel method(selective breeding). Heck I don't understand how most GM crop's are legal. They have poison's genetically engineered into them that can be absorbed into the Human body. Making Genetically Modified produce not produce, but a toxic/poisonous substance.

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 11:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by SmokeAndMirror
GMO corn, soybeans, canola, sugar beets, alfalfa, papaya, zucchini, rice and salmon which slowly poison and sterilize you and your children. = Genetic Pollution, Obesity, Tumors, Cancers, Sterility, Infertility, Organ Damage, Miscarriages, Birth Defects, Neurological, Immunological and Chronic Diseases.

Where have you found reliable data linking any of those things to the consumption of GMO? Most people's contention with GMO in the market place is the LACK of testing.

Lazy,Lazy,Lazy.

It is common knowledge that GM isn't healthy. Since it is common knowledge, it is up to you to disprove that assertion.

Here is a link to start you on your travel.

www.saynotogmos.org...

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join