It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Extent of the Sexualisation of Women

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by TechUnique

Originally posted by aravoth
You want to have sex with women because of an instinctual urge to propagate the species. Women have the exact same urges, for the exact same reason. For human beings, mating season is literally all year long. It's not about objectification, it's the way humans evolved.

Wanting to have sex with attractive women is completely normal. You have urges to have sex with attractive people because fit, flushed, and attractive people represent good health, and the ability to bear children.

It's evolution, it is how the human race evolved into what it is today. Despite what the most disgusting male hating femi-nazi would say, the reasons men go after gorgeous women are purely instinctual.

Or do you really believe that if the media told us all that obnoxious women like Rosie O'Donnell was the hottest thing on earth that suddenly all males in the world would start picking up women at McDonalds instead of a dance club?

Yes but it goes way past an instinctual urge.

Did cavemen fantasise about a threesome with two cave-chicks whilst a sabertooth tiger urinates on them all? Probably not.

I don't know about cavemen, but early human beings didn't fantasize about this because they were doing it. Then somehow, it changed from multiple wives to one wife.

Why are you apologizing for lusting after women? Women's body parts are attractive. Even straight women find other women attractive. It's not your fault that God made women so hot.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by HarmonicNights

I agree and it's not just women. I think the biggest lie is that men apparently think of sex all the time. Well I personally think this is complete nonsense and this is a typical male stereotype, then again I can only speak for myself, as I can't read the minds of other men. I'm single & I certainly don't think of sex all the time. The truth is that it hardly even crosses my mind unless of course my buttons are being pushed. For example if I'm watching TV or reading a magazine, where sex is constantly being shoved in my face or simply going for a walk and I happen to come across some scantily clad female walking towards me.
There's no getting away from it. These days sex is everywhere, it's in overdrive and yes! we are all being sexualised.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by TechUnique
even found myself fantasising about having sex with this person

So what?

this is what the majority of males are like.

So what?

Why is the world like this?

Why not? Its interesting the way it is. Men want women, women want men. Whats bad about that? Its natural. Its good.

This is all due to the thorough objectification of women through the media and even partly due to the principles of archaic religion.

Has nothing to do with Religion and Media. Its natural to desire women. First you define something that is not a problem as a problem, then you look for who is to blame.

It has been programmed into our heads. Women are objects. Women are good for nothing except sex.

Then you jump to extreme and false conclusions. And all that just from feeling desire for a moment in time and then feeling guilty about it. Quit feeling guilty about it and you`ll be able to forget the whole episode and move on.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Even when I see women in public thoughts come to mind. I thought that was normal

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by daggyz

Are you for real? You do know it's a movie, not real life and it's called acting, or as someone else put it. "Deliberately sexualizing the woman in this scenario". How is that movie any different to Raquel Welch running along the beach in a scantly clad outfit while being chased by a dinosaur in "One Million Years BC". You mean to tell me you didn't find Raquel Welch sexually attractive. I used to always wish I was the dinosaur so that I could get a better view.

I better make an appointment with a shrink then.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 04:54 PM
link   
It's in human nature to want to have sex. Men and women fantasize about it. There is nothing wrong with it.... Demonizing sex is silly and primitive.

When I watch Pirates of the Carribean, I think about banging Orlando Bloom. Who cares?

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 04:56 PM
link   
you are supposing that those urges arent natural maybe they are.

back in the day when a caveman wanted to hook up he picked a woman tapped her on her head and took her back to his ye ole cave to get busy.

fast forward to modern day and what society "morals" have been ingrained on us how to think how to act etc.

people like sex any kind of sex and some like it rough.

theres nothing wrong with any of them.

theres more animal instincts in humans than most people care to admit.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by TechUnique

Thats the devil tempting you, just be glad you are not a woman
because they are brainwashed to be like that and to murder
their unborn children, thats a crime that can not be forgiven

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 04:59 PM
link   
reply to post by kindred

I personally think about sex all the time. When I'm in a room with other people I don't know, I think about which women I wish I could have sex with. When I walk down the street I only pay attention to the women walking down the street as well. You can guess where my head is at. If I see a beautiful girl on TV i think about having sex with them. There is an ad with a blonde I believe on the top of this website every now and again. Wanna guess where my head is at with that one. Bottom line: if I am not directly thinking of sex, I will be soon enough.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 05:05 PM
link   
reply to post by simone50m

the x files were cool, and yes gillean is a hottie!

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 05:23 PM
link   
I think what disturbs me about this kind of imagry is the glorification of violent sexuality and other like behaviours and the danger of desensitization and the blurring of the lines of reality and fantasy.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 05:28 PM
link   
People in general, but especially typical men are driven by sexual desire of course.
Marketing will use this knowledge to put forth candy for the subconscious for the target audience...yes, chainsaw flicks tend to cater towards men, and so yep, you will get lots of testosterone style marketing, be it rapid action scenes, sexual representations, etc.

But, don't believe that its not a two way street. just, women tend to have a different motivation towards their primal desires...hense why lead men in shows are younger, handsome, brooding types with some sort of hidden strength.

Men look for pretty colors of the feather, women look for protectors of the nest and good stock to breed with...men, being our biological disposition, can breed alot more than women can accept breeding, so men have (just as a biological understanding of our species) multiple partners...

which makes us less specific in our lusts and basically chase after (at least mentally in the modern world) anything that even sort of fits in our rather broad catagory...

It may be objectifying, however, this is common not just in modern man, but in male species in the animal kingdom in general...(you think we are bad...check out a tribe of monkeys or lions...we will look like prudes in comparison...basically, a lion notes anything sorta femaleish and it will claim and toss into the harem...and destroy any other lion trying to make a play for his many women

So ya, don't come down hard on yourself for being a typical male. a few billion years of evolution cannot be written over in a few dozen years..or even a few dozen generations frankly...biologically we are simply built to observe and desire...both sexes..just different triggers are in place. (women are more complicated).

Finally, keep in mind, just because you have a urge to mount everything you see, doesn't mean your slave to your desires...one of the things that seperates us from some forest dwelling animal is that we control and put in place our random natural desires for more approprate times of action...else we would beat to death anyone whom was eating a cheeseburger that we wanted for ourself.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Arles Morningside
I think what disturbs me about this kind of imagry is the glorification of violent sexuality and other like behaviours and the danger of desensitization and the blurring of the lines of reality and fantasy.

No man...it is actually just catering towards our primal urges...sex and violence is the biological call of our species...of pretty much all species actually.

Not saying its right...just saying its not something new and desensitizing, its very very old...starting of life old, and if anything (negative) enhances our basic reality as a species...
There are two things at work here...one is just violence for the sake of violence, but also there triggers a protective stance from the viewer (basic primal response over females also)...and that keeps them hooked
Damsel in distress sort of thing.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Most of you don't seem to be getting the drift of his question. Everyone knows it's natural for males to sexually desire women and vice-versa, so there was no need for about 70 different people stating this same thing one after the other.

No one can deny that women in particular have been hyper-sexualized in the media. It's a fact that all women must deal with the consequences of this. In the music industry, for example, it's nearly to the point where a woman will not be accepted at all if she's not willing to basically prostitute herself. In movies, women must do the same thing or they will not be considered a 'serious' actress. Despite what the media tries to instill in people's heads, a big part of femininity is modesty. In the Kibbutz experiment, girls and boys were raised to be 'equal' and dressed and undressed in front of one another on a daily basis. Once this group of kids reached puberty, the girls no longer wanted to get unchanged in front of the boys and demanded their privacy. This was not the case with males.

The fact that the media has made a tremendous effort to destroy feminine nature is definitely questionable and points to some sort of agenda. I'm sure the increasing number of fatherless homes plays a role in females being so quick to sell their bodies. I don't see how anyone could deny the role the media plays in determining societal norms.

The point is, by far the most frequent image of a woman in the media now is that of a mere hypersexualized plaything. This will without a doubt shape the minds of young men and women for the worse.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by illuminatiOpress
reply to post by TechUnique

Thats the devil tempting you, just be glad you are not a woman
because they are brainwashed to be like that and to murder
their unborn children, thats a crime that can not be forgiven

I wonder if god forgives those whom decides for him what is and isn't forgivable...

After all, God murders kids all the time...maybe he thinks its fun (see multiple examples...but just for a quick one, see pregnant woman and infants during the time of noah...oh, you won't see em, cause god flooded the earth and murdered all of them)

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 05:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Grey Magic

you need to see therapist heehee the rapist, you have no idea how sick the whole
shrink bizz is, they create monsters that we call serial killers

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by HarmonicNights
Despite what the media tries to instill in people's heads, a big part of femininity is modesty.

That has never been the case except during the dark ages, when moral police forced the peasents to become modest.

sexuality throughout all of history before the dark ages was very pronounced in females...with ritual mating dances, painted faces and jewelry/clothes to accentuate their form, etc.

it was only when a bunch of prudish romans decided to go all talibanish on the women when suddenly it became modest..and that was not by a woman's choice, but by a few powerful radically religious men (whom weren't allowed to take wives or have intercourse...ya, a bit frustrated).

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 05:43 PM
link   
reply to post by HarmonicNights

I'm not sure where you are getting your information that women have to "prostitute" themselves to be in the music or movie industry. From what I've read, that may have been true 20-30 years ago. However, since then, those industries have done a lot to try and abolish that kind of behavior. But I am not in the "know," so I really don't have any first hand knowledge of this.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 05:52 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

Here's an article on the gender aspect of the Kibbutz experiment:

www.heretical.com...

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 05:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Ryanp5555

You're not getting the point. Just look at how mainstream female singers present themselves. They are selling their bodies. We all know they wouldn't get as far as they are if they were not willing to behave that way. They're certainly not where they are because of talent.

As for actresses, they must be willing to do nude scenes or sex scenes in order to be considered 'serious' actresses. That stigma is not attatched with actors so heavily.

Women in the media are constantly depicted as hypersexualized objects.
edit on 6/17/2011 by HarmonicNights because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join