It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hackers attack one another: LulzSec at war with Anonymous, 4Chan members

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 07:43 PM
link   

War rages between competing factions within the hacker collective Anonymous after this weekend's drama-filled takeover of the main Anonymous IRC server network. That network, used by Anons to plan and conduct attacks, was taken over by one of its own, an IRC moderator known as "Ryan." His attack has sparked a debate over the "leadership" of Anonymous. Hacking the hackers The main Internet chat servers used by Anonymous have been run by a group called "AnonOps," which provides communications platforms for the group. Pointing IRC clients at anonops.ru or anonops.net would connect anyone to the servers, where they could then join channels like "#OpSony" and participate in various Anon activities. Though Anonymous is often described as leaderless, factions like AnonOps by necessity have a loose structure; servers must be paid for, domain names must be registered, chat channels must have at least some moderation. Ryan was one of those IRC mods, and this weekend he proceeded with an attack that seized control of the AnonOps servers away from the small cabal of leaders who ran it. Those leaders include people with handles like "#storm," "Nerdo," "blergh," "Power2All," and "Owen"—and if you're paying attention, you'll remember that HBGary Federal's Aaron Barr had fingered Owen as one of three "leaders" of all Anons. The most popular channel on the old IRC servers now says simply, "anonops dead go home." Ryan also put up a set of chat logs showing Owen and others reacting to the weekend's massive denial of service attacks against AnonOps that culminated in the server takeover. (In the transcript below, "doom" is one of the AnonOps servers.)

Ryan must be a spook or something ? There are no leaders yet he wants to be "leader" of Anon. Obviously not a real Anon after all.

However it happened, the end result was that Ryan redirected some of the AnonOps domain names he had control over, he led an attack on the IRC servers with denial of service data floods, and he grabbed (and then published) the non-obfuscated IP addresses of everyone connected to the IRC servers. Ryan apparently also gained root access to the Zalgo network services bot, which is presumably how he harvested the non-obfuscated IP addresses, though it's not clear exactly what Zalgo did or how much access it provided Ryan.

MOAR arstechnica.com...

edit on 17-6-2011 by Unknown Soldier because: (no reason given)

edit on 17-6-2011 by Unknown Soldier because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 07:46 PM
link   
Last I read on the Twitter account Anonops had posted saying we are not at war as well as LulzSec. The media and a number of people are doing it wrong.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 07:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

Yeah something stinks, i was not able to get on IRC the other day. Smoke and mirrors IMHO

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 02:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Unknown Soldier

Funny how many are claiming that the guy arrested today was called Ryan too.

At least according to:

Ryan Cleary, 19, is believed to have been a 'major player' with LulzSec, a hacking group linked with attempts to breach organisations including the UK's Serious Organised Crime Agency, the U.S. Senate and the CIA.

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 06:35 PM
link   
It's my belief that there is a cyber war going on between different governments and that these "groups" are being controlled by different governments, As far as who controls who... I don't know and i'm not going to pretend to know.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join