It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Higher Your Debt, The Higher Your Self-Esteem Is!!!...for young people

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Dissillusionment? Maybe they haven't seen enought of how the real world works and still have hope that the country and the economy will rebound back to the glory days:lol
whenever that was)

Or perhaps its like others have already said. They are living in the moment. Its what feels good right now. The kiddies want what they want, when they want it.

I would lean more towards the self-esteem issue. FALSE PRIDE

peace

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 09:21 PM
link   
ahhhhhh. My alter ego is being unlocked and I'm getting a giant rush of adrenaline right now. THE HIGHER YOUR DEBT, the more responsibility you are handing over. Having a higher debt is not cool, you can still get by not having one. You don't need to go to some posh university. I speak that at 20 years old, planning on perhaps going to community college. They are one and the same, you are just paying for the name. Do not be fooled by marketers, the scum of the Earth.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jean Paul Zodeaux

Originally posted by daynight42
reply to post by buni11687

Maybe it's actually, the higher your debt, the higher your EGO is.

I think of all the people I see who have spending problems, and I think it might be a defense mechanism. To avoid feeling poor, they spend money they falsely believe they can spend without major consequences. Dream world.

It really is a symptom of POOR self-esteem. Self-esteem comes from within, from your SELF. It ain't something you can BUY or achieve through spending outrageously.

Retailers would love to sell you something to help you feel otherwise, though.

It is odd that you would blame EGO, and then call it poor self esteem. I agree with you that it is probably poor self esteem that is causing this rush towards debt, but what you've just described speaks much more to the ID than it does the EGO.

Look the debt is the effect not the cause why or how would gaining debt change your personality

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 09:34 PM
link   
So I guess Congress has never grown up? They seem to be practically messing their pants because of America's debt.

/TOA

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 09:48 PM
link   
reply to post by mb2591

Look the debt is the effect not the cause why or how would gaining debt change your personality

The EFFECT of debt is usually CAUSED by some other EFFECT itself. Going into debt in the way these students have gone into debt is hardly CAUSE. They have allowed themselves to become the EFFECT of a system out of control. What has a change in personality have to do with it?

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 10:07 PM
link   
Money Can Change Your Behavior Toward Others

psychcentral.com...

In 2004, researchers James Heyman and Dan Ariely (author of Predictably Irrational) devised a set of deceptively simple experiments that illustrated that the moment money enters a social relationship, it can change the very nature of our expectations and the relationship.

What Ariely suggests is that when approached to help do something, we put things into one of two primary contexts (or “comparative norms”). We are either putting it into the “business” norm (I perform a task, you pay me for that task), or the “social” norm (I’m doing this task as a favor to you).

are student loans "comparative" or "social" ?

read the article.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 01:58 AM
link   
reply to post by mb2591

its all perception.

look at it this way;

if all people had duct tape over their mouths, you would have to use

YOUR very own "intuition" to communicate.

maybe then people wouldn't get sucked in and screwed by the loan "falicy"....

always remember;

"at creditreport dot com you are not a number .... you are m-b-2-5-9-1" !!

don't listen to what THEY say, always watch what THEY do ....

those same people "helping" you now are the same ones taking it all away later !

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 02:01 AM
link   
Interesting piece, although like many of you I find it counterintuitive.

I suppose it takes a certain amount of belief in your future to take out a massive college loan...I mean, if you didn't think it was going to be profitable for you, why do it? If this is the case, though, the researchers need to distinguish between "self-esteem", "confidence", and "slap-happy denial."

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 02:05 AM
link   
errr, i think they are missing the major flaw here.
The people don’t have higher esteem because of debt, the people have high esteem because of the assets they now hold because of that debt.

Lets see what’s faster... a fighter jet at maximum speed or the time in which it takes for high self esteem to turn into misery when the bank forecloses and takes every item you own when you lose your job at macca's.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 02:13 AM
link   
That study is complete BS... The confidence level as nothing to do with the amount of debt... that's misleading in so many ways... Confidence is directly proportionate to the studies your undertaking and the debt level is directly proportional to the studies...

You study in medicine to be a heart surgeon your not going to have a 20 000$ debt when you get out but its going to be in the six digits HOWEVER you WILL have the confidence of Hercules... and with reason... you are to become one of the most highly paid and have one of the most respectable job there is...

On the other hand the person that study to become I dunno...electrician, plumber, hair stylist or whatever will tend to have less self-confidence than he/she would of if she had become a neurosurgeon or whatever else that's way more prestigious...

Take a simple averagely looking guy with low self-esteem, give him 25 million and a Lambo than dress him with a gucci Tuxedo and his self-esteem with be through the roof compare to prior he get all of this...

Self-confidence as nothing to do with dept but it starts by how proud you are of yourself and your accomplishment in life in most cases...

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join