It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Higher Your Debt, The Higher Your Self-Esteem Is!!!...for young people

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 07:59 PM
link   
news.yahoo.com...

t turns out there is an upside to mounting college debt: self confidence! A new study shows that the higher a young person's debt, the more self-esteem he or she has.

Im already thinking "What the heck?"

Ohio State University researchers surveyed more than 3,000 adults aged 18 to 34 for the study, which is published in Social Science Research. Their study found that the more debt from college loans and credit cards individuals had in their name, the more control they felt over their lives.

The higher you are in debt, the more control you have over your life? Am I missing something here? Im honestly dumbfounded on this.

There is, however, a catch: People over the age of 28 started to show signs of stress and worry about their debt. The downshift in debtors' moods stems from the ongoing growth of their debt obligations over time--though it is of course also true that adults have a general propensity to worry more as they age.

Oh thats right, after a few years, people realize their debt grows. (How did they not know this when they used their credit cards and took out loans)????

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 08:02 PM
link   
I think its the other way around.. The more self esteem and confidence in their abilities the more debt they acquire because they feel that they will have no problem paying it back in the future.
edit on 16-6-2011 by mb2591 because: (no reason given)

Then they get to 28 realize oh # it's not going to be that easy to pay back this debt.. Then they start to worry
edit on 16-6-2011 by mb2591 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 08:05 PM
link   
reply to post by buni11687

though it is of course also true that adults have a general propensity to worry more as they age.

Translation: "Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain! The Great and Powerful Oz has spoken! If you want self esteem and more confidence then comply with our banking institutions! Why worry? Just obey!"

edit on 16-6-2011 by Jean Paul Zodeaux because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 08:06 PM
link   
Shows the intelligence level of the American people, it takes a college education before they realize that being in debt isn't a good thing and the thousands of dollars wasted on phones, designer clothes, and useless junk they bought to keep on the cutting edge and try to be cool just tightened a large noose around their necks. Sad state of affairs.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 08:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by j35us
Shows the intelligence level of the American people, it takes a college education before they realize that being in debt isn't a good thing and the thousands of dollars wasted on phones, designer clothes, and useless junk they bought to keep on the cutting edge and try to be cool just tightened a large noose around their necks. Sad state of affairs.

Yea let's bash America and what utopia do you hail from?

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 08:10 PM
link   
It's called living in a dream world... Young people love the debt dream, but you gotta wake up sometime.
edit on 16-6-2011 by JJDoggie84 because: retardation

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 08:11 PM
link   
Doesn't make sense to me. I'm a "young person" and am about $7,000 in debt (student loans/credit card), and I feel like I'm never going to get it paid off, it takes my whole income just to get by month to month paying for the essentials. I'm just waiting for the day the SWAT team kicks down my door and hauls me off to debtor's prison.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Humph I am not that kind of idiotic Americans! In fact one of my concerns in College is more debt

link   
reply to post by mb2591

I am American.
I just know enough to avoid credit cards and bank loans like a plague.

link   
reply to post by j35us

I believe I would have to agree that kids in college are going to look at debt as something they can work out later..somehow...and the more they have, the better it must mean they are doing. After all, 10's of thousands in student loans plus more credit card debt must mean they've accomplished a lot in their short lives, right?

By their late 20's they've come to understand that student debt cannot be bankrupted and they will either pay it or die from old age with debt collectors still chasing them on a regular basis for it. Yeah..That would bring about the hard reality of what they have done by that point in life. However, they will sure have had fun for that first 8-10 years digging the hole!

If only High School required some REAL classes on the realities of debt, compound interest and long term budgeting of money and resources. Perhaps some of these kids would rethink the idea of spending more on the education to get a degree than the line of work it will give them can ever repay.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 08:14 PM
link   
I would guess that they probably spend all of that money (that they don't have to spend) on clothes, cars, televisions, and whatever other material goods make them feel good in the moment. So even though they're up to their necks in debt, they have lots of stuff to enjoy for a short while which boosts their self-esteem.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 08:32 PM
link   
reply to post by j35us

Didn't seem like it the way you were so quick to jump on that opportunity to bash America.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 08:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by buni11687
news.yahoo.com...

t turns out there is an upside to mounting college debt: self confidence! A new study shows that the higher a young person's debt, the more self-esteem he or she has.

Im already thinking "What the heck?"

Ohio State University researchers surveyed more than 3,000 adults aged 18 to 34 for the study, which is published in Social Science Research. Their study found that the more debt from college loans and credit cards individuals had in their name, the more control they felt over their lives.

The higher you are in debt, the more control you have over your life? Am I missing something here? Im honestly dumbfounded on this.

There is, however, a catch: People over the age of 28 started to show signs of stress and worry about their debt. The downshift in debtors' moods stems from the ongoing growth of their debt obligations over time--though it is of course also true that adults have a general propensity to worry more as they age.

Oh thats right, after a few years, people realize their debt grows. (How did they not know this when they used their credit cards and took out loans)????

They have to sell this idea or we may actually avoid debt and those fat a$HOLES might not have any way to get thier hands on OUR money, this is how they filter money from the bottom to the top......
I REPEAT THAT DEBT IS HOW THEY FUNNEL THE MONEY FROM THE POEPLE ON THE BOTTOM RUNG OF LIFE TO THE A$HOLES AT THE TOP, DON'T BELEIVE IT? STUDY HOW MUCH THEIR EARNINGS HAVE INCREASED SINCE THE INCEPTION OF DEBT!!!!!!
edit on 16-6-2011 by ldyserenity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 08:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by mb2591
reply to post by j35us

Didn't seem like it the way you were so quick to jump on that opportunity to bash America.

I am American too, and to the best of my knowledge, no nation at the moment deserves more bashing - which was not what j35us was doing by the way -- than "America".

William Shakespeare wrote the line in Hamlet: "Neither a borrower nor a lender be." That was sage advice then, and remains sage advice today. Of course, everyone knows what an American bashing Bard Shakespeare was.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 08:40 PM
link   
some people call it the Stockholm effect.....

it looks like the grade schools and high schools have done a good job !

if the schools teach better management, the banks AND the COLLEGES would be out of business.

i wonder how high the "self esteem" would be if you had to work for ALL of it FIRST .... no loans !

TPTB run this show.

and just think about it ......

the future of the country is in THEIR hands !

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 08:43 PM
link   
reply to post by mb2591

I'm not a materialist and the consumerism disgusts me so I'm not surprised I seem a little different. I can't say I'm unbiased when it comes to national issues but for the most part I don't mind stating facts regardless of how brutal they might be/sound.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 08:52 PM
link   
reply to post by j35us

Just wandering how can you speak for the level of intelligence of all the people in America..

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Maybe it's actually, the higher your debt, the higher your EGO is.

I think of all the people I see who have spending problems, and I think it might be a defense mechanism. To avoid feeling poor, they spend money they falsely believe they can spend without major consequences. Dream world.

It really is a symptom of POOR self-esteem. Self-esteem comes from within, from your SELF. It ain't something you can BUY or achieve through spending outrageously.

Retailers would love to sell you something to help you feel otherwise, though.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 09:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by daynight42

Maybe it's actually, the higher your debt, the higher your EGO is.

I think of all the people I see who have spending problems, and I think it might be a defense mechanism. To avoid feeling poor, they spend money they falsely believe they can spend without major consequences. Dream world.

It really is a symptom of POOR self-esteem. Self-esteem comes from within, from your SELF. It ain't something you can BUY or achieve through spending outrageously.

Retailers would love to sell you something to help you feel otherwise, though.

It is odd that you would blame EGO, and then call it poor self esteem. I agree with you that it is probably poor self esteem that is causing this rush towards debt, but what you've just described speaks much more to the ID than it does the EGO.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 09:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Jean Paul Zodeaux

OK. I don't remember enough from psychology class to know the difference between the two. I suppose I meant that the egotistical side is presented outwardly to compensate for the inner lack of self-esteem?

new topics

<<   2 >>

join