It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are The Saudis Wrong To Ban Women From Getting Behind the Wheel?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Was watching the news and there was a report on women agitating in Saudi Arabia in order to put pressure on that nations rulers to allow women to drive a motor vehicle.

The interview subject a Burka wearing woman (I assume) said she wanted to drive as she was wary of 'foreign men" driving Taxis, and she depended on Taxis to get around.

But it does keep the number of cars on the road lower than it would be.
Pollution is less than it would be.
Accidents are less than it would be.

With women banned from driving they are less likely to go shopping all day, and have more time to do the housework?

They will have more time to perfect their cooking skills?
Whilst it may never happen in the western world, does the idea have merit?
Less pollution , less congestion,less accidents...its perhaps a decision the Saudi rulers will never reverse?

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 08:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Dr Expired

Well, I guess that would all depend on how you feel about women behind the wheel.
I myself am a Male chauvanist but my wife actually likes me so I got all the bases covered as far as I care.

Years ago before people got self righteous we called it chivalrous, either way it matters no to me.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 08:06 PM
link   
It's just so they can't run away, you and I know some of those women are abused daily. I know it's wrong but that's the only reason they're doing it
edit on 16-6-2011 by Heartisblack because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 08:10 PM
link   
umm...excuse me here!!!
I need a car!! I need to drive, not because I "go shopping" all day but rather I have to get to and from work!!!
heck, we could have four cars running aroung 24/7 and not even come close to the greenhouse gases that one global warming convention releases into the air as they all fly their private jets to gather!!!

"shopping all day"!!!!

GIVE ME A BREAK!!!

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Women are human beings like the rest of us, there is no reason for one not to have the same right as another.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Of course they are wrong. If you need to even ask, maybe you'd be happy living by their primitive laws dictated by supposedly what a religious book says on how to live. Sure, many will have more time to be slaves at home to the husband, much older that they were forced to marry at 8 years old.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 08:17 PM
link   

I do not think there is anything beneficial about restricting a woman's right to practice basic individual liberties. Such laws are adopted by sexist, barbarous men hell-bent on keeping women in their place; only a fool can't see that. Oppressive laws like these are concrete examples of men who--in the name of god--use their delusional religion to justify the ensuing ramshackle, hypocritical, oppressive dictatorships that their God requires. Something that may seem so trivial as restricting a woman's right to drive a car is in fact further evidence of the obvious violations of human rights many Middle Eastern nations obsessively sanction into law.

I hope you were not trying to justify, or make excuses for, such nonsense.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 08:17 PM
link   
reply to post by g146541

Your right , I don't mind my wife driving when iam in the car as I feel it gives me a chance to correct her driving mistakes, and I can always reach over and grab the wheel if she is checking herself out in the mirror as a car is looming quickly in front of us.
Just with a carbon tax looming it would be great way to help the environment , by halving the number of vehicles on the road.
Sometimes radical solutions are needed in order to protect the atmosphere.
The Saudis are adamant they won't allow women to drive ,and they are a very rich and clean country.
Its a possible example to follow?
But it would take a strong leader to implement the new law in the west?

edit on 16-6-2011 by Dr Expired because: (no reason given)

edit on 16-6-2011 by Dr Expired because: Removal of a bad idea.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 08:18 PM
link   
It's wrong, yes. And as far as I'm concerned, they must fear women to keep them so controlled.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 08:20 PM
link   
I'm just going to assume this is a trolling thread, because I honestly didn't think in 2011 in the western world we could have this level of chauvinism. You realize women in Saudi Arabia are actually dying in defiance of the ban. Really something to make light of, troll.
edit on 16-6-2011 by Kali74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kali74
I'm just going to assume this is a trolling thread, because I honestly didn't think in 2011 in the western world we could have this level of chauvinism. You realize women in Saudi Arabia are actually dying in defiance of the ban. Really something to make light of troll.

Here we go again ...what gives you the right to call someone a troll, just because you have interpreted a thread in the most negative way imaginable?

This is not Facist Central, this is an idea site, if you think Iam trolling, then you must have a very narrow perspective of the meaning of discussion.
I think it could be a possible solution to our very real pollution problems, not long ago women didn't drive it wasn't considered feminine.
I do not know if women are dying whilst trying to drive in Saudi Arabia, if this is correct this is tragic.
Please stop making personal insults to those you disagree with .

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 08:30 PM
link   

I say give the women the damn keys! There is absolutely no reason to think that, with a little practice, they would drive any worse than Arab men do. If one can keep them from "texting" on their freaking cell phones, I can promise that they will be better drivers than most of us in the Western world. As far as pollution goes... they should also have just as much right to pollute as the men do! One good size volcano blowing it's stack for a couple of months would wipe out any "carbon credits" gained by not allowing women to drive anyway. Most on ATS fear the World will be gone by 2012, so let them have some damn fun in the short time we have left!

My biggest problem with Islam hasn't got anything, at all, to do with terrorists! Hell, terrorists come in all races, nationalities, and have been around for many, many years. I don't feel anyone treats women near as bad as the Arabs do though! They won't get any respect from me until their women have the same rights as their men do!

That's just my three or four cents on that subject!

See ya, Milt

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 08:31 PM
link   

don't see how it will cut the carbon emmissions, take my car away, and well, my husband will have to drive twice as much, so he can get to his SECOND JOB!!! or...wait a minute, he ain't got a first job at the monent.... but well, I can just stay home, and sleep all day!! much like what he's been doing!!!

sounds like a plan!!! ya...let the guys work two, three jobs, supporting us!! housework, cooking,....na, we don't get into that anymore...but, hey, what will you guys care?? you'll be at work 24/7!!!

edit on 16-6-2011 by dawnstar because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Expired

Originally posted by Kali74
I'm just going to assume this is a trolling thread, because I honestly didn't think in 2011 in the western world we could have this level of chauvinism. You realize women in Saudi Arabia are actually dying in defiance of the ban. Really something to make light of troll.

Here we go again ...what gives you the right to call someone a troll, just because you have interpreted a thread in the most negative way imaginable?

This is not Facist Central, this is an idea site, if you think Iam trolling, then you must have a very narrow perspective of the meaning of discussion.
I think it could be a possible solution to our very real pollution problems, not long ago women didn't drive it wasn't considered feminine.
I do not know if women are dying whilst trying to drive in Saudi Arabia, if this is correct this is tragic.
Please stop making personal insults to those you disagree with .

As woman the whole notion of your post is insulting. Would you really like to take 69% of american women out of the work force so that you can have a home cooked meal that a woman probably cooked for you anyway after working all day, cleaning the house and taking care of children?

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 08:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Kali74

I"m willing to bet, that if they took our cars away from us, the home cooked meals would be gone as well as those second incomes!!
peace in the home would be a thing of the past also!

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 08:43 PM
link   
reply to post by dawnstar

There are bus services and Taxis all over

it wil encourage the use of Public Transport services which are all going electric, I can see from a womens perpective it would be good not to work and have more time for the housework , and perhaps your Husband could get a joba as a cabdriver and he could drive you to do your shopping and get paid for it

Seriously though we do need to reduce the car numbers.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Expired
reply to post by dawnstar

There are bus services and Taxis all over

it wil encourage the use of Public Transport services which are all going electric, I can see from a womens perpective it would be good not to work and have more time for the housework , and perhaps your Husband could get a joba as a cabdriver and he could drive you to do your shopping and get paid for it

Seriously though we do need to reduce the car numbers.

If you don't want to be accused of trolling maybe you should work on not trolling hmm?

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Are The Saudis Wrong To Ban Women From Getting Behind the Wheel?,

I say they do have a right to ban women from getting behind the wheel.

Our own laws in the western would mandate that women can not walk in public without a shirt and bra, I see this as no different of a law put in place by oppressive powers.

You here that ladies? You are being oppressed because you can not walk around the public without a shirt and bra.

And in the Saudi land you can not have a driver license.

edit on 16-6-2011 by wiredamerican because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 08:59 PM
link   

I have only skimmed your opening post.
If I didn't have a driver's license and a car...
1.Who would drive me to the grocery store?
2.Who would drive my cats to the vet?
3.Who would drive my hubby's dry cleaning to the cleaners?
4.Who would drive me to church if my hubby doesn't want to go?
In the past 4 1/2 years,I have only driven about 25,000 miles.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 08:59 PM
link   
Muslim men are afraid of women, so they make them wear body sheets, forbid them to drive, and forbid them a proper education, and basically treat them like slaves. But, still, it's the fault of the women for choosing to submit to such abuse and not throw off the shackles.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join