It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police: Man Found On Fire Near Courthouse Dies

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 08:14 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

In the West, we are horrified by it, not inspired. Big difference.

Horrified indeed. For all America's ill's it is in fact heartening that we view such acts for the insanity that they are. I have long argued that it is expedience that has been the greatest source of our erosion of rights. As imprudent as this expedience has been, expedience is not the type of decision insane people make. It is at first a rational decision. Later it appears to be rational, and the more irrational expedience becomes, the more confused we become about our decisions. At some point, most of us wake up to this nonsense and begin quietly pulling away from the acquiescence we rationalized as expedience. Every now and then some insane person does something like light themselves on fire, but the rest of us keep looking for rational ways in which to regain our freedom.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 08:19 PM
link   
First of all the revolutions in the middle east were quite suspect imo and second they accomplished nothing but to swap dictators. Ok maybe they can elect a dictator of thier liking this time, but in the end the bankers and military ALWAYS RULE!

To win a battle, you must be well informed and plan accordingly. Setting yourself on fire was probably a call sign for alqueda to take arms and remove "western backed" puppets. How little do they truely know. Everything is always israel and america fault on the surface.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 08:38 PM
link   
I would like to gently, and respectfully request that members maintain a focus on the OP.

Since we are being told there is no known motive, diving into statements of ideological purpose need to be tabled.

Many have the emotional tools to isolate themselves from the event, it is their right, Desperation does appear to be the only motivation a rationale mind can accept; but it is not our culture's way to accept such statements without debate. I have heard it is quite rare for a suicide not to leave some form of message.... perhaps that's just a Hollywood thing.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 08:41 PM
link   
reply to post by pajoly

Thanks Mod. I did not understand I was to copy the exact title.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jean Paul Zodeaux
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

In the West, we are horrified by it, not inspired. Big difference.

Horrified indeed. For all America's ill's it is in fact heartening that we view such acts for the insanity that they are. I have long argued that it is expedience that has been the greatest source of our erosion of rights. As imprudent as this expedience has been, expedience is not the type of decision insane people make. It is at first a rational decision. Later it appears to be rational, and the more irrational expedience becomes, the more confused we become about our decisions. At some point, most of us wake up to this nonsense and begin quietly pulling away from the acquiescence we rationalized as expedience. Every now and then some insane person does something like light themselves on fire, but the rest of us keep looking for rational ways in which to regain our freedom.

I don't argue the insanity of it. I equally think the guy in Tunesia was nuts to do it. I DO understand the sense of helplessness that led to it. Spend much time dealing with the 1984-esque named "justice" system and you'll feel the helplessness too. The truth is, we might be a bit peeved by our rape by the banks, et al, but in truth, we really are not mad. Not really. We pretend we are and we rail online. Apparnetly we are not at our wits end; we can be raped much more before we squeal like a pig apparently. Real helpless anger leads to action, whether insane or merely run-of-the-mill violent against the oppressors. Ergo, we don't really believe we are oppressed yet.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 08:58 PM
link   
reply to post by pajoly

Real helpless anger leads to action, whether insane or merely run-of-the-mill violent against the oppressors. Ergo, we don't really believe we are oppressed yet.

Helpless anger is an oxymoron. Anger is a higher level emotion than helplessness. Anger, however, is not the best emotional state to be in when engaging in action. It is never a good idea to let ones rage imbalance them. If you have to be angry, I understand. Once that anger subsides, consider what rational and effective steps you can take to put justice back in. Do this with out anger and you have a much better chance of success.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 09:06 PM
link   
Not speculating here, but a possible motive for this could have been the fact that he just went thru a nasty divorce and had just found out he lost custody of his children.

Nothing to do with the economy and the like, just simple despair over the loss of being able to see his kids it looks like.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by kro32
This guy was a coward. Somebody with courage and integrety would have fought against this injustice and tried to correct it but instead this guy takes the easy way out so he doesn't have to face the challenge.

I see no reason this should even be reported by off the wall sites. Let him rot in obscurity

A coward? How do you know he didn't fight against whatever it was that brought him to this point? You think that lighting himself on fire was taking the easy way out?
Are you serious?? Your compassion for your fellow man is seriously lacking.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Apparently he sent a letter to the Keen Sentinel (15 pages) before setting himself on fire. It's fifteen pages so I won't post it all and haven't read it yet (just found it) but here's the link:

Last Statement by Tom Ball

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 10:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Night Star

Originally posted by kro32
This guy was a coward. Somebody with courage and integrety would have fought against this injustice and tried to correct it but instead this guy takes the easy way out so he doesn't have to face the challenge.

I see no reason this should even be reported by off the wall sites. Let him rot in obscurity

A coward? How do you know he didn't fight against whatever it was that brought him to this point? You think that lighting himself on fire was taking the easy way out?
Are you serious?? Your compassion for your fellow man is seriously lacking.

Actually in today's world there is more injustice than justice. It barely ever pays to sue anyone for anything and if your going up against the state you will always lose. Kangaroo courts under the british Bar Accredation Registry.

When you have state capitalism as in america and many/most other countries, then its all about profit rather than morals. It pays to fine the heck out of everyone for misdemeanors and limit the felonies to easy prosecutable cases. Prisons are not that profitable probably because they have too much staff and you have to feed everyone three times a day.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 10:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Jean Paul Zodeaux

Perhaps he knew he did not have what it takes to fight this and decided to go another route; one where he uses his body as a psyop tool.

Such acts might not motivate Americans into action, but once they are in action they will have memory of this event and they will use it then.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 11:32 PM
link   
Here is a link to a fifteen-page "last statement" reeportedly sent by the man to The Sentinel, a New Hampshire newspaper

edit on 6/16/11 by silent thunder because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 03:58 AM
link   
I read until here ↓↓

My story starts with the infamous slapping incident of April 2001. While putting my four year old daughter to bed, she began licking my hand. After giving her three verbal warnings I slapped her. She got a cut lip.

Not sure why his hand was there in the first place, but if he didn't like it, his hand should not have been close enough for a second lick.

Sentinel

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 05:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by silent thunder
Here is a link to a fifteen-page "last statement" reeportedly sent by the man to The Sentinel, a New Hampshire newspaper

edit on 6/16/11 by silent thunder because: (no reason given)

I read the whole thing and after doing so the only conclusion I can come to is that he was a desperate father that felt like the system had destroyed his family after he made a mistake that the system wouldn't let him make amends for. I don't think he was crazy to believe this, he laid it out very well, he studied, researched, knew what he was talking about and gave quite an argument. I really couldn't help but feel bad for him and other families around the country that get destroyed for similar things. It really doesn't seem like justice gets served. How does destroying a family and putting the husband, wife, and children on the street help anybody? And yet that is exactly what happens, there must be a better way then that. I can't imagine what it would take to set yourself on fire, but then again I have never had children that were taken from me. I publicly stand against the actions he prescribed in going after the problem, I can't stress that enough. But there are many things wrong in this country that need to be fixed, maybe this is something people need to take a look at in a peaceful way.
edit on 17-6-2011 by The_Phantom because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 05:27 AM
link   
Wasn't this the same guy that blamed feminists for all his shortcomings? The same guy that slapped his four year old so hard it caused bleeding?
That guy was mentally unstable...He had probably missed many breakfasts in his lifetime. There are horrible consequences for those that skip breakfast...and this proves it.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 05:34 AM
link   
When I told my wife that I wanted a divorce she ran straight to the courthouse and falsely accused me of abuse.

The next day the police arrived and told me I had 3 minutes to leave my home (which I had bought myself before we got married). I was then told to surrender any weapons and that I had lost my right to bare arms. I was then told that if I tried to communicate with my kids, even indirectly, I would be arrested and go to jail. I was then told I would have a court hearing in one month.

In any case I'm not going to go on and on about what happened, long story short I had to get a lawyer, spend thousands and thousands of dollars and it was 6 months before I was able to see my kids again.

All of this happened with no evidence, no proof, no nothing.

Being told that you'll be arrested for sending your son a birthday card is horrific and it doesn't suprise me at all that men kill themselves over these situations.

And of course I had to continue paying all the household expenses even though I couldn't live there. The cop who ordered me out of my house knew it was all horseshet, he told me his best friend's wife (who was a cop himself) did the same thing to him. When he forgot to pay the electric bill (for the house he could not enter) he was arrested and thrown in jail (because it was considered "indirect communication" with his wife when the power company turned the power off lol).

At one point during this 6 months my wife called the police and accused me of trying to break into the house, so the cops showed up to arrest me, lucky for me I had been working at the time and could prove it (otherwise I would have been thrown in jail).

If you think you actually have rights in this country anymore you are deluded.

edit on 17-6-2011 by SevenBeans because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 05:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by laiguana
Wasn't this the same guy that blamed feminists for all his shortcomings? The same guy that slapped his four year old so hard it caused bleeding?
That guy was mentally unstable...He had probably missed many breakfasts in his lifetime. There are horrible consequences for those that skip breakfast...and this proves it.

I have stood against violence my entire adult life. I believe he was wrong in the actions he took, however he may have a point that there is a problem in this country with how the system deals with it.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 05:53 AM
link   
reply to post by kro32

How insensitive, there are many reasons why people take their own lives and it is not because they are selfish but they are unable to cope with the current situation and see no other way out. You do not know how he was feeling or what he was thinking and are therefore in no position to make any judgement and neither am i. I just feel very saddened that anyone ever feels the need to take their own life.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 06:01 AM
link   

There is no excuse of course.

However, at this point simply "scaring" someone (whether their fear is rational or not) is considered domestic violence. Ever yelled at your kids?

Did you read his letter? He seemed quite rational and intelligent to me.

edit on 17-6-2011 by SevenBeans because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 06:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by The_Phantom

I have stood against violence my entire adult life. I believe he was wrong in the actions he took, however he may have a point that there is a problem in this country with how the system deals with it.

How is slapping a four year old in the face the norm? That's what he was saying. What a complete loon...he seemed as twisted in this thoughts as he was in person. I wouldn't allow someone to slap my pets like that without retribution. The mother did what she had to. If he didn't want to end up in that situation he should not have slapped his kid like that. It's not that hard to understand....He went down the slippery slope on his own...nobody forced him into it. It's still a shame that the children lost their father though.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join