It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police: Man Found On Fire Near Courthouse Dies

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Police: Man Found On Fire Near Courthouse Dies

www.wmur.com

The man was later identified as Thomas Ball, 58, of Holden, Mass. An autopsy showed that he set himself on fire and that he took his own life.

Witnesses said what they saw in front of the courthouse almost defied belief.

"I saw a man standing on fire. He walked around a little bit, walked on to the grass, collapsed on all fours and literally sat there and burned," said witness Dan Koski.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.time.com
www.nytimes.com
english.aljazeera.net
edit on 16-6-2011 by pajoly because: title fix

ason given)

edit on 16-6-2011 by pajoly because: (no reason given)

Mod Edit: Review This Link: Breaking Alternative News Guidelines -- Copy the Exact Headline

edit on 6/16/2011 by semperfortis because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Such a thing launched the revolutions in North Africa and the Middle East. People there feel the pain, they have empathy.
In America, we yawn. To be honest it disgusts me. This happened at the local courthouse. The man was obviously distraught over the abortive mockery fact that is American "justice."

www.wmur.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 06:57 PM
link   
reply to post by pajoly

That is a very insightful comparison.

So sad that people all over the world are feeling in that much pain as to demonstrate their pain like this.

Yes, the West has lost touch with empathy and compassion; all very isolated from eachother now and no-one bothers to question why.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 06:58 PM
link   
he should have done it on the white house lawn...

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 07:12 PM
link   
We don't really know why he set himself on fire, very sad.
Maybe he left a note or message with someone before
hand. He was definitely trying to make a stand for
something.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Revolution9
reply to post by pajoly

That is a very insightful comparison.

So sad that people all over the world are feeling in that much pain as to demonstrate their pain like this.

Yes, the West has lost touch with empathy and compassion; all very isolated from eachother now and no-one bothers to question why.

I'll tell you why, because if the people standing around him organized even a peaceful protest the sound canons would be in full force. "Spy on your neighbor" campaigns usually clash with feeling empathy for your fellow human being. When you'd rather not interact with a stranger out of fear they might sue you it's to the point where people just don't care. Of course, they care online, they have internet opinions and daily protests. That's why America's special, we do our heavy lifting online.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 07:19 PM
link   
It's extremely obvious why he did it.

The article clearly states he did it in front of the courthouse.

He was protesting our corrupt and heartless greedy government.

Obviously.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 07:26 PM
link   
alright

just how are is the op tying the event in question in mass to events in tunisia et al.

Investigators have not released any possible motive in the fire.

really way to go killing himself over what? when they dont know

meh

edit on 16-6-2011 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 07:33 PM
link   
I feel very bad for this poor man. Setting himself on fire changed nothing,he died in vain. Setting whatever the problem was on fire would have brought attention to his cause.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Please do not set yourself on fire! I feel terrible already!

Thank you!

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 07:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
alright

just how are is the op tying the event in question in nh to events in tunisia et al.

meh

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Why do you feel sorry for him? What he did was extremely selfish especially if he left family behind who now has to deal with reality.

So there is an injustice in the world but instead of trying to change it he focusus on himself. Had he been a good person he would have tried to make sure that this injustice never happens to others but instead he want's people to feel his pain with him.

No sympathy from me

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 07:41 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

Perhaps there was no reaction because Americans are used to nut-jobs and actually celebrate them on TV on a daily basis.

We don't know why the gent set himself ablaze. Maybe he was cold.

Either way, I don't see why anyone would get upset over it and certainly not upset enough to cause some kind of half-baked revolution.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
alright

just how are is the op tying the event in question in nh to events in tunisia et al.

meh

Really? You can't fathom the point? In Tunesia a cart vendor set himself on fire in protest over his abuse by the government for trying to eke out a living. Such was the outrage that it sparked the Tunesia revolution, which spiraled into Egypt, Libya, Yemen, Syria, Bahrain...

So now we have a distraught man lighting himself on fire in NH on the courthouse steps. You can be sure he was not protesting the price of a frickin' happy meal. While his reasoning is not yet known, any monket can discern it has something to do with "justice," or lack there of. But of the news? Had you heard of it? Did the press report it other than obscure sites? Will you (or me for that matter) take to the streets in solidarity? No, F no. Instead, dolts like you will play with minutae in the argument, completing missing the point, dare I say avoiding the point. It is far more comfortable to attack the thread than to face the grim facts that Americans are pussies. YOU, ME, we are the pussies. We do not deserve the legacy given to us by the blood of our Founders.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 07:47 PM
link   
reply to post by pajoly

Yeah see, theres the problem.
One persons mistakes do not bother me.
If I were distraught enough to do something so rash, I think I would light the person I was mad at on fire, not myself.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 07:49 PM
link   
reply to post by pajoly

tying events from different parts of the world dont make a point.

its called twisting events to suit an agenda.

i really dont care if stupid people off themselves just means the world has alot less of them.

someone killing themselves over a cart or a truck wheres the logic in that?

and the first article shows no motive behind his actions connecting the dots and filling them in does not mean anything to me.

edit on 16-6-2011 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 07:51 PM
link   
This guy was a coward. Somebody with courage and integrety would have fought against this injustice and tried to correct it but instead this guy takes the easy way out so he doesn't have to face the challenge.

I see no reason this should even be reported by off the wall sites. Let him rot in obscurity

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 07:55 PM
link   
reply to post by pajoly

YOU, ME, we are the pussies. We do not deserve the legacy given to us by the blood of our Founders.

The Founders of the United States of America did not set themselves on fire in protest over England's tyranny. What sparked that Revolution of American Independence was a tax on tea. A tax on tea!

At that time, an income tax was nonexistent. Today people pay this tax without even knowing how it was they became "liable" for the tax to begin with. American's have certainly strayed from its early years of independence, but putting oneself on fire will hardly turn that around, and sitting around waiting and salivating for riots and violent revolution is hardly a good idea either.

There are more effective ways in which to embark on a revolution in this modern age of military industrial complexes than disorganized emotional reactions to burning men. Quiet rational and unemotional non acquiescence would be far more powerful, but hey, what the hell do I know?

edit on 16-6-2011 by Jean Paul Zodeaux because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 08:06 PM
link   
this won't be a popular answer, but I see this as validation that here in the US we know we have it pretty good all things considered

it it perfect ? hardly

but we still have a consitution, bill of rights, and a peaceful transition of power with every election.

the revolts/protests happened in countries with dictators for the most part, correct ?

over here we make fun of our leaders and then throw them out for new tools

it's not perfect, but this man would have been better served by getting behing a political candidate and volunteering

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 08:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Jean Paul Zodeaux

You know enough.
Well stated.

In Tunisia people are inspired by acts of self mutilation. It is an old world belief system.

In the West, we are horrified by it, not inspired. Big difference.

new topics

top topics

active topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join