It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Weiner officially RESIGNS!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Source: www.nbcnewyork.com...

"Embattled Rep. Anthony Weiner has announced his resignation from Congress, 20 days after he misfired a photo of his enlarged groin onto Twitter, unraveling a scandal that eventually revealed a series of sexual relationships with women he met online and lies he told to cover them up.

Weiner made the announcement Thursday in his district, at a senior center where he launched his political career 20 years ago as a City Council candidate.

"I had hoped to be able to continue the work that the citizens of my district elected me to do," Weiner said in a brief appearance"

Well, at least he's leaving. Still a crazy story.... I think its funny how the article calls it "An enlarged groin" hahah

Anyways, just broke, wanted to pass it on
edit on 6/16/2011 by Nspekta because: ..

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 01:54 PM
link   
I think i just watched it live on the BBC.

All i could hear throughout was people shouting out " have you got 7 inches " lol

I think they kicked a few people out of there haha

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 02:02 PM
link   
I never really understood why his personal business meant anything about his ability as a politician.

Once you're a politician, you're required to be perfect, or at least cover up you're imperfections, lest you be thoroughly pressured to resign?

People who make bad political decisions stay in office generally, and I haven't heard of anything bad this guy had done relevant to his job.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 02:04 PM
link   
I CARE!

Finally this successful distraction comes to an end.

You'd think after the 1,000th distraction we of the U.S would wisen up a bit more. - [Rhetorical]
edit on 16-6-2011 by ThinkingCap because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Headline for tomorrow. "Weiner Pulls Out!"

Sorry I couldn't resist.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Digital_Reality

haha yes! awesome, i like!

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 02:07 PM
link   
The reason he needs to leave is because he has access to sensitive material. He could have been blackmailed.
Personally, I hate to see him go. He was the epitomy of liberal absurdity.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Already up
Here

No real suprise..he will run again and probably get re-elected with no big issues...he cybered some chicks...

lets see...a married man whom cybered some girls and is a bit of a loudmouth...
I would venture to say such a person represents new york fairly enough.
edit on 16-6-2011 by SaturnFX because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by xxsomexpersonxx
I never really understood why his personal business meant anything about his ability as a politician.

Once you're a politician, you're required to be perfect, or at least cover up you're imperfections, lest you be thoroughly pressured to resign?

People who make bad political decisions stay in office generally, and I haven't heard of anything bad this guy had done relevant to his job.

I kind of think along the same lines. I'm not saying what he did wasn't wrong, but let him and his wife work it out. It's really not everyone's business. I mean what if all jobs required their employees to be perfect and have to resign if they did something wrong in their personal life. IMO, very few people would have jobs.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nite_wing
The reason he needs to leave is because he has access to sensitive material. He could have been blackmailed.
Personally, I hate to see him go. He was the epitomy of liberal absurdity.

No more or less so blackmailed than that Republican who got caught trying to solicit red hot buttsex from other men in an airport bathroom a couple years ago and didn't step down.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Another Sociatist bits the dust...
Let's see Barry loves Golf.
Let's see Barry's wife loves Gucci bags.
Let's see Weiner loves to lie exhagerate weiner size.
Sounds like Liberalism aint what it was sold as...virtues.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Granite
Another Sociatist bits the dust...
Let's see Barry loves Golf.
Let's see Barry's wife loves Gucci bags.
Let's see Weiner loves to lie exhagerate weiner size.
Sounds like Liberalism aint what it was sold as...virtues.

-blinks-

what are you going on about?

Do you even know how many "family values" conservatives have been hammered with some seriously wild sex scandals in the last few years?
Cybering someone is pretty much the most minor infraction in comparison...cons are having kids with mistresses, running off with mistresses, trying to get gay sex in public restrooms, etc etc etc.

ya...liberalism never pretended to be the moral side of things...they are the ones suggesting people not look to politicians for moral guidance. its the conservatives pretending to be gods favorite...and coincidently enough have the most depraved scandals.

both sides do it overall...but hey, if you are wanting to chalk up someone unable to keep it in their pants as representing a movement, then by all means, bring it...your going to learn the whole glass houses metaphore real quick.

Is a movement defined by a single person's actions? is that the rules you want to play by? reallly?

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   
finally, is it me or are political scandals getting more and more pathetic, I mean to be honest who cares if some dude called weiner was sending ironic photos.

There are serious problems in the world that have nothing to do the the US's weiner obsession!

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

oh i get it sex scandals only matter if theres a R by there names.

to the op: good bye weiner glad hes gone.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Digital_Reality
Headline for tomorrow. "Weiner Pulls Out!"

Sorry I couldn't resist.

Please stop!!

I had to star you though....

Well good riddance Mr. Wiener glad you know your own party
sold you down the tubes....

Should of kept your mouth shut about those 1967 Israeli borders, they were after
you after that...

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Do you even know how many "family values" conservatives have been hammered with some seriously wild sex scandals in the last few years?
Cybering someone is pretty much the most minor infraction in comparison...cons are having kids with mistresses, running off with mistresses, trying to get gay sex in public restrooms, etc etc etc.

"having kids with mistresses" - John Edwards?

"running off with mistresses" - Elliot Spitzer?

" trying to get gay sex in public restrooms" - Barney Frank?

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96

oh i get it sex scandals only matter if theres a R by there names.

to the op: good bye weiner glad hes gone.

Actually, in my opinion, sex scandals don't matter unless there is a charge that comes of it.

I don't want to know about a R sending pics of himself on dating services, nor of someone cybering someone.

If someone breaks the law...cool, then we got an issue..otherwise...this is a matter that requires the direct partys involved and their spouses to sort it out behind closed doors. I don't want to know what my immediate boss or employees get up to behind closed doors.

The only arguable time this pops up as the publics concern is if the actions themselves (not the publicity that follows the uncovering) somehow interferes with their job.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by mishigas

"having kids with mistresses" - John Edwards?

"running off with mistresses" - Elliot Spitzer?

" trying to get gay sex in public restrooms" - Barney Frank?

Federal employees from 2000 - today

Anthony Weiner (D-NY) The newly married Congressman admitted to sending sexually suggestive photos of himself to several women through his Twitter account.[1] (2011)

Chris Lee, Representative (R-NY) Resigned hours after a news report that the married Congressman had sent a shirtless picture of himself flexing his muscles to a woman via Craigslist, along with flirtatious emails.[2] He did not use a pseudonym or a false email address, but relied on his congressional email for all communication. (2011)

Mark Souder, Representative (R-IN) Resigned to avoid an ethics investigation into his admitted extramarital affair with a female staffer. Famously, he and she had made a public video in which they both extolled the virtues of sexual abstinence. (2010)[3][4][5]

Eric Massa, Representative (D-NY): Resigned to avoid an ethics investigation into his admitted groping and tickling of a male staffer. (2010)[6]

Chip Pickering, (R-MS) On July 16, 2009 it was announced that his wife had filed an alienation of affection lawsuit against a woman with whom Chip allegedly had an affair.[7] The lawsuit claimed the adulterous relationship ruined the Pickerings' marriage and his political career. (2009) [8]

Samuel B. Kent, Federal District Judge in Texas Appointed by George H.W. Bush in 1990. Accused of sexually harassing two female employees. He was impeached for abusing his authority and imprisoned for 33 months for obstruction of justice.[9] (2009)

John Ensign Senator (R-NV) Resigned his position as Chairman of the Senate Republican Policy Committee on June 16, 2009, after admitting he had an affair with the wife of a close friend, both of whom were working on his campaign.[10] Under investigation, he then resigned his seat in Congress 20 months early. (2011) [11] In 1998, Senator Ensign had called for President Bill Clinton (D) to resign after admitting to sexual acts with Monica Lewinsky. (2009) [12]

John Edwards, Senator (D-NC) His 2008 presidential campaign was seriously undercut when he admitted to an extramarital affair with actress and film producer Rielle Hunter, which produced a child.[13]

Vito Fossella, Representative (R-NY) Arrested for drunk driving. Under questioning, the married Congressman admitted to an affair that produced a daughter. (2008)[14]

Tim Mahoney, Representative (D-FL) was elected to the seat of Mark Foley, who had resigned following sexual harassment charges from his congressional interns. Mahoney ran on a campaign promise to make "a world that is safer, more moral." In October 2008, he admitted he placed his mistress on his staff and then fired her, saying, "You work at my pleasure." He then admitted to multiple affairs.[15]

Randall L. Tobias, Deputy Secretary of State (R) and former "AIDS Czar" appointed by George W. Bush: Stated that U.S. funds should be denied to countries that permitted prostitution.[16] He resigned on April 27, 2007, after confirming that he had been a customer of Deborah Jeane Palfrey, the DC Madam.[17]

Larry Craig, Senator (R-ID) Pleaded guilty to disorderly conduct following his arrest in a Minneapolis airport men's room in June 2007, on a charge of lewd conduct.[18]

David Vitter, Senator (R-LA): Took over former Congressman Robert Livingston's House seat in 1999, who resigned following revelations of an extramarital affair. At the time, Vitter stated: "I think Livingston's stepping down makes a very powerful argument that (Bill) Clinton should resign as well ..."[19] Vitters' name was then discovered in the address book of the DC Madam Deborah Jeane Palfrey. He admitted his adultery and withdrew from the 2003 gubernatorial race for governor. (2007)[20]

Mark Foley, Representative (R-FL) Resigned when accused of sending sexually explicit emails to underage male congressional pages. He was replaced by Tim Mahoney. (2006)[21]

Brian J. Doyle, (R) Deputy Press Secretary of the Department of Homeland Security was indicted for seducing what he thought was a 14-year-old girl on the Internet; she was actually a sheriff's deputy. On November 17, 2006, he was sentenced to 5 years in prison, 10 years of probation, and was registered as a sex offender.[22]

Jack Ryan, Senate candidate (R-IL) During sealed divorce proceedings in 2004, his wife Jeri Ryan accused him of forcing her to go to public sex clubs and described one as "a bizarre club with cages, whips and other apparatus hanging from the ceiling."[23] Ms. Ryan is better known as Seven of Nine from the TV show Star Trek: Voyager.[24]

Don Sherwood, Representative (R-PA) Failed to win re-election following revelations of a five-year extramarital affair with Cynthia Ore, who accused him of physically abusing her. (2004)[25]

Richard Gardner (R): While he was running as a candidate for the State Assembly from Las Vegas, NV in 2002, it was revealed that Gardner had pleaded guilty in 1988 to three counts of molesting his two daughters. He had also run for office in California.[26]

Gary Condit, Representative (D-CA) His affair with 23-year-old intern Chandra Levy was exposed after Levy disappeared. Her body was found a year later and in 2008, an ex-felon with no relation to Condit was charged with her murder. (2001)[27] Condit had often demanded that Bill Clinton "come clean" about his affair with Monica Lewinsky.[28]

So far, the score is 27 to 27 (for all time)..so pretty evenly distributed overall..however, if we are talking reciently...
edit on 16-6-2011 by SaturnFX because: clarification

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 03:24 PM
link   

thats the thing tho sex scandals of congressman effect us all they open them to cohersion and blackmail.

little people can do whatever they want but if they are getting paid by the taxpayer then it matters.

we can not pick and chose what scandals matter and what doesnt.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96

thats the thing tho sex scandals of congressman effect us all they open them to cohersion and blackmail.

little people can do whatever they want but if they are getting paid by the taxpayer then it matters.

we can not pick and chose what scandals matter and what doesnt.

Fair point

2nd (even gave you a star...but dont get used it it
)
edit on 16-6-2011 by SaturnFX because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join