It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is this the proper technique for using a riot shield?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 12:07 PM
link   
I saw this specific incident on the news a few minutes ago and thought it was pretty messed up. It happened during the riot last night in Vancouver. The incident occurs in this video between 0:45-0:55. You'll clearly see a one of the riot police using the bottom edge of his riot shield to tomahawk a knifing blow to the back of the head/neck of a supposed rioter.

I was wondering if anyone knows if this is a technique that they are taught to use. It seems like a stupid tactic to me. Lifting a riot shield over your head exposes the body and kind of defeats the purpose of a riot "shield". Not to mention the severe injuries, or death, that the victim could experience from this.

Anyway, they follow the shot with some light-hearted fire dancing, so... enjoy...

edit on 6/16/2011 by scojak because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by scojak

The shield is meant to be held low to protect the body.. and people rioting over any kind of sports event are not victims if they get bashed in the head with a shield.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 12:34 PM
link   
You are correct the purpose of the shield is to form a wall with the ones to your right and left, that is no techique I was ever taught, but it has been a few years since I have taken the Riot Control training. The baton is used for all the bashing.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by aceto
The shield is meant to be held low to protect the body.. and people rioting over any kind of sports event are not victims if they get bashed in the head with a shield.

Actually, a person does not have to be innocent of an act to be called a victim. The term merely describes a person who is harmed by an action, such as the guy injured by the blow from the shield. In effect, all the people who get bashed by shields or anything else are victims.

Thank you for your input though. I take it you believe this action was not in accordance with protocol.

Originally posted by rcanem
You are correct the purpose of the shield is to form a wall with the ones to your right and left, that is no techique I was ever taught, but it has been a few years since I have taken the Riot Control training. The baton is used for all the bashing.

Thanks for your input. I was pretty sure this is something that's not in their training manual, but I really have no expertise on the matter other than common sense. Maybe this is what they have you do if you've lost your baton? I wouldn't think so, but I'll wait for someone to offer a more educated opinion. Thanks again

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by scojak

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 03:33 PM
link   
It's the old Greek and Roman Phalanx routine: the turtle wins the battle, or in this case submit's the rioters. It's an old philosophy still usable if you have the man power. By the way I'm surprised Canadian's are so violent, I thought they are peace loving people? Then again hockey is their national sport so I don't blame them for getting pissy.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by aceto

Hmmm, I try to impart some factual knowledge to you, and this is your ignorant response? You must be one of those people of faith that you speak of in your signature.

Maybe you should try elaborating beyond the use of emoticons and try to create points for discussion. This is a discussion forum after all...

top topics

join