It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New York plans to drive street musicians out of Central Park

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 09:24 AM
link   
www.rawstory.com...

NEW YORK — Few instruments can be gentler than the harp, but authorities in New York's Central Park have branded street musicians like harpist Meta Epstein a public disturbance and want them driven out.

A new campaign to enforce eight "quiet zones," including in some of the city's most hallowed spots for street performers, is turning virtuosos like Epstein into outlaws.

After years of being left in peace to perform her baroque repertoire on the beautiful, golden instrument, Epstein, 59, says she's suddenly being treated as a menace.

What a sad place America has become when the creative, the artistic and expressive are being censored with the excuse of "quiet zones".....I wonder if mothers with screaming brats will be ticketed as well?

"Quite Zones"........translation........STFU

I almost made a living "busking" all over America singing and playing my slide dobro as a youth.
I made wonderful friends, collaborated with some famous players and basically partied for over 10 years.
Is that type of lifestyle a thing of the past now?

See the big picture? Any free expression. gradually is being squelched and the first amendment is incrementally being destroyed.

It took awhile but 1984 is here at last. ART IS TREASON
edit on 16-6-2011 by whaaa because: got the blues

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 09:31 AM
link   
They probably had more complaints then people going up to the city to say :
"Hey, I like music in central park"

So, has long that people protest a bit, I seriously doubt they will remove musicians in Central park.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Ya, that's it, PTB...attack the creative and performance arts.

They are such a threat to you.

This world is like a damaged tire, shredding pieces off with every turn.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 12:54 PM
link   
That is just idiocracy. Seems like beside the whole of california NYC is the worst place to live in the US.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by furzball
That is just idiocracy. Seems like beside the whole of california NYC is the worst place to live in the US.

Actually, I really like both places. They are filled with wonderful, creative, talented and beautiful people, great restaurants, nitespots, culture etc.

I have played and sung the blues on the street, in clubs and coffeehouses in both NY and Cal. but I feel a new brand of fear and hate directed at any and all counter culture types that reject authority.

But something is definitely wrong with the administrations, bureaucrats and cops that want to cram their vision of tyranny down our throats.

edit on 16-6-2011 by whaaa because: Hi TP

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   
All of this sort of thing (like no dancing allowed in bars) started under Giuliani and has continued to get worse under Bloomberg. It's ridiculous and why New York needs a Democratic Mayor once again.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 01:23 PM
link   
i think something like 95% of the park is still open to musicians. its just the area around the fountain they wanted to maintain a sense of quiet so people can decompress in nature.

i go to the park to listen to the sounds of nature and relax - if i wanted to hear music i'd go to a concert

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by tonypazzohome
i think something like 95% of the park is still open to musicians. its just the area around the fountain they wanted to maintain a sense of quiet so people can decompress in nature.

i go to the park to listen to the sounds of nature and relax - if i wanted to hear music i'd go to a concert

I go to the park to see people, interact with them and socialize, listen to music, dance and express myself and watch others do the same.

If I want nature and quiet...I go where there are no people like the Mountains or an empty beach or the desert.

edit on 16-6-2011 by whaaa because: just sayin

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Street performers make money from donations from passerby's...that, my friends is the reason they are trying to really "ban" their performances. Some of them are so good at what they do, that they make a pretty decent income from their talents. If taxes can't be collected on their work...then buskers will not be allowed to work...

Face it, people...if "quiet zones" are the excuse that is being used....eventually there will be more and more "quiet zones"....until there are no more areas where performing will be considered allowable.

Fascism still lives within Amerika...it never died.
edit on 16-6-2011 by Holly N.R.A. because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 05:02 AM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

Brilliant thread that unfortunately will be falling on deaf ears?
Screaming brats and sh****** bats are all over the place, but creative beauty is dangerous.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 05:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by tonypazzohome
i go to the park to listen to the sounds of nature and relax

Have you ever been to central park? Did you ever hear nature there over the 10 or so thousand people there at once?

Will the carousel (merry-go-round) still be able to play it's music?

new topics

top topics

join