It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Weiner tells friends he will resign: NY Times

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 08:58 AM
link   
Representative Anthony Weiner has told friends he is stepping down after an Internet sex scandal, The New York Times reported on Thursday.
Source: www.reuters.com...
and the NY Times full story: www.nytimes.com...

Well it's about time. The fool made it happen and made it drag out.

The Wife and he must have come to some resolution.

She will be more popular than him now and maybe she will end up the Mayor of NYC.

Both following an odd Clinton path maybe?
edit on 6/16/2011 by anon72 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 09:02 AM
link   
Yes, I heard he was pulling out ... and limping away.

Agreed that his wife will gain some notoriety, possible on the local level to begin.

I couldn't care less what he's sending on his phone, but it's distracting and he should step down, IMO. So we can get back to business.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 09:17 AM
link   
reply to post by anon72

No more Weiner? Sure he was a hot dog, but to resign. This leaves me deflated.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 09:22 AM
link   
It is only appropriate he's stepping down.

Especially after stepping all over something else this week.

What happens to these people when they get to Washington ?

I call it the three "P's"

Power, Privilege and you can guess the last one...

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 09:24 AM
link   
While he will resign, he will be hired by some lobbying firm, make more money and will be best buds with Bill Clinton.

As the world turns will continue with the other doofus members in the Govt.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 09:28 AM
link   
At what point does someone with a name like Weiner think its ok to get their bits out online. That's just asking for the God of Hilarity to come and smack you in the face.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 09:35 AM
link   
He should get some kind of award for creating such a huge media frenzy, and major distraction.

Also, Jim Carrey should play the lead role of Wiener in the movie about this.

The Rise and Fall of Wiener

Production should begin immediately, following his resignation.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 09:43 AM
link   
And the beat goes on.

Quick list of sex scandals of politicians (years 2000 - today) according to the wiki
(note, this is a federal list...state isn't listed (see Arnold)

Anthony Weiner (D-NY) The newly married Congressman admitted to sending sexually suggestive photos of himself to several women through his Twitter account.[1] (2011)

Chris Lee, Representative (R-NY) Resigned hours after a news report that the married Congressman had sent a shirtless picture of himself flexing his muscles to a woman via Craigslist, along with flirtatious emails.[2] He did not use a pseudonym or a false email address, but relied on his congressional email for all communication. (2011)

Mark Souder, Representative (R-IN) Resigned to avoid an ethics investigation into his admitted extramarital affair with a female staffer. Famously, he and she had made a public video in which they both extolled the virtues of sexual abstinence. (2010)[3][4][5]

Eric Massa, Representative (D-NY): Resigned to avoid an ethics investigation into his admitted groping and tickling of a male staffer. (2010)[6]

Chip Pickering, (R-MS) On July 16, 2009 it was announced that his wife had filed an alienation of affection lawsuit against a woman with whom Chip allegedly had an affair.[7] The lawsuit claimed the adulterous relationship ruined the Pickerings' marriage and his political career. (2009) [8]

Samuel B. Kent, Federal District Judge in Texas Appointed by George H.W. Bush in 1990. Accused of sexually harassing two female employees. He was impeached for abusing his authority and imprisoned for 33 months for obstruction of justice.[9] (2009)

John Ensign Senator (R-NV) Resigned his position as Chairman of the Senate Republican Policy Committee on June 16, 2009, after admitting he had an affair with the wife of a close friend, both of whom were working on his campaign.[10] Under investigation, he then resigned his seat in Congress 20 months early. (2011) [11] In 1998, Senator Ensign had called for President Bill Clinton (D) to resign after admitting to sexual acts with Monica Lewinsky. (2009) [12]

John Edwards, Senator (D-NC) His 2008 presidential campaign was seriously undercut when he admitted to an extramarital affair with actress and film producer Rielle Hunter, which produced a child.[13]

Vito Fossella, Representative (R-NY) Arrested for drunk driving. Under questioning, the married Congressman admitted to an affair that produced a daughter. (2008)[14]

Tim Mahoney, Representative (D-FL) was elected to the seat of Mark Foley, who had resigned following sexual harassment charges from his congressional interns. Mahoney ran on a campaign promise to make "a world that is safer, more moral." In October 2008, he admitted he placed his mistress on his staff and then fired her, saying, "You work at my pleasure." He then admitted to multiple affairs.[15]

Randall L. Tobias, Deputy Secretary of State (R) and former "AIDS Czar" appointed by George W. Bush: Stated that U.S. funds should be denied to countries that permitted prostitution.[16] He resigned on April 27, 2007, after confirming that he had been a customer of Deborah Jeane Palfrey, the DC Madam.[17]

Larry Craig, Senator (R-ID) Pleaded guilty to disorderly conduct following his arrest in a Minneapolis airport men's room in June 2007, on a charge of lewd conduct.[18]

David Vitter, Senator (R-LA): Took over former Congressman Robert Livingston's House seat in 1999, who resigned following revelations of an extramarital affair. At the time, Vitter stated: "I think Livingston's stepping down makes a very powerful argument that (Bill) Clinton should resign as well ..."[19] Vitters' name was then discovered in the address book of the DC Madam Deborah Jeane Palfrey. He admitted his adultery and withdrew from the 2003 gubernatorial race for governor. (2007)[20]

Mark Foley, Representative (R-FL) Resigned when accused of sending sexually explicit emails to underage male congressional pages. He was replaced by Tim Mahoney. (2006)[21]

Brian J. Doyle, (R) Deputy Press Secretary of the Department of Homeland Security was indicted for seducing what he thought was a 14-year-old girl on the Internet; she was actually a sheriff's deputy. On November 17, 2006, he was sentenced to 5 years in prison, 10 years of probation, and was registered as a sex offender.[22]

Jack Ryan, Senate candidate (R-IL) During sealed divorce proceedings in 2004, his wife Jeri Ryan accused him of forcing her to go to public sex clubs and described one as "a bizarre club with cages, whips and other apparatus hanging from the ceiling."[23] Ms. Ryan is better known as Seven of Nine from the TV show Star Trek: Voyager.[24]

Don Sherwood, Representative (R-PA) Failed to win re-election following revelations of a five-year extramarital affair with Cynthia Ore, who accused him of physically abusing her. (2004)[25]

Richard Gardner (R): While he was running as a candidate for the State Assembly from Las Vegas, NV in 2002, it was revealed that Gardner had pleaded guilty in 1988 to three counts of molesting his two daughters. He had also run for office in California.[26]

Gary Condit, Representative (D-CA) His affair with 23-year-old intern Chandra Levy was exposed after Levy disappeared. Her body was found a year later and in 2008, an ex-felon with no relation to Condit was charged with her murder. (2001)[27] Condit had often demanded that Bill Clinton "come clean" about his affair with Monica Lewinsky.[28]

Personally, a politicians outside sex life means nothing to me. in my opinion, Weiner should not have resigned but rather have the voters decide...same with Chris Lee. sexting people...well frankly, if the worst thing they got going for them is trying to cyber some people, then thats not too bad.

The hypocracy would kill someone running on a "family values" platform of course in voters eyes...so someone like Chris Lee would have far more fallout than Weiner (whom ran on...being from new jersey and representing there...actually...in that light, I would venture to say he probably connected more with your typical new jersey citizen..but I digress).

As Kissinger said, Power is the ultimate aphrodisiac..seems to work both ways

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 10:18 AM
link   
His annoucement is expect to be at 2:00 today.

I sure hope he doesn't make a bigger ass of himself.

Matter of fact, just send en email to the news outlets.

One thing I think I can say for sure will not happen. His wife won't be standing next to him. I read one of her closest friends say Huma told her she would never stand up in front of the camera's while her spouse admitted to any scandals etc. She noted Mrs. Spitzer, Mrs McGarrery (NJ Gov wife) and others.

Well, at least he doesn't have a love child. I will give him that. He ain't no Arnold...

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by anon72
Well, at least he doesn't have a love child. I will give him that. He ain't no Arnold...

Here is the amusing bit
out of all these scandals, I often wonder how many of them (the couple) are only pretending to have hard times...you will find, if you get a few birdies, that a lot of political and celeb couples tend to have behind the scenes swinging relationships and only show rightous indignation should one of them get caught...do the dog and pony show of trouble and all that for the public eye (curiously enough, people are more accepting of infidelity than they are of swinging relationships, as they can connect more to one verses the other).

I wonder what happens when someone is caught "cheating" and the spouse shrugs and says she knows...they have their off the clock bedroom fun in a different way.

Personally, I would cheer. Would be nice to see a honest politician and family verses the indignation show.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 10:44 AM
link   
So is Vitter going to see the hypocrisy in his staying and respectfully resign -- are the Republicans going to demand that he take the high road -- guess not.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX
And the beat goes on.

Quick list of sex scandals of politicians (years 2000 - today) according to the wiki
(note, this is a federal list...state isn't listed (see Arnold)

Anthony Weiner (D-NY) The newly married Congressman admitted to sending sexually suggestive photos of himself to several women through his Twitter account.[1] (2011)

Chris Lee, Representative (R-NY) Resigned hours after a news report that the married Congressman had sent a shirtless picture of himself flexing his muscles to a woman via Craigslist, along with flirtatious emails.[2] He did not use a pseudonym or a false email address, but relied on his congressional email for all communication. (2011)

Mark Souder, Representative (R-IN) Resigned to avoid an ethics investigation into his admitted extramarital affair with a female staffer. Famously, he and she had made a public video in which they both extolled the virtues of sexual abstinence. (2010)[3][4][5]

Eric Massa, Representative (D-NY): Resigned to avoid an ethics investigation into his admitted groping and tickling of a male staffer. (2010)[6]

Chip Pickering, (R-MS) On July 16, 2009 it was announced that his wife had filed an alienation of affection lawsuit against a woman with whom Chip allegedly had an affair.[7] The lawsuit claimed the adulterous relationship ruined the Pickerings' marriage and his political career. (2009) [8]

Samuel B. Kent, Federal District Judge in Texas Appointed by George H.W. Bush in 1990. Accused of sexually harassing two female employees. He was impeached for abusing his authority and imprisoned for 33 months for obstruction of justice.[9] (2009)

John Ensign Senator (R-NV) Resigned his position as Chairman of the Senate Republican Policy Committee on June 16, 2009, after admitting he had an affair with the wife of a close friend, both of whom were working on his campaign.[10] Under investigation, he then resigned his seat in Congress 20 months early. (2011) [11] In 1998, Senator Ensign had called for President Bill Clinton (D) to resign after admitting to sexual acts with Monica Lewinsky. (2009) [12]

John Edwards, Senator (D-NC) His 2008 presidential campaign was seriously undercut when he admitted to an extramarital affair with actress and film producer Rielle Hunter, which produced a child.[13]

Vito Fossella, Representative (R-NY) Arrested for drunk driving. Under questioning, the married Congressman admitted to an affair that produced a daughter. (2008)[14]

Tim Mahoney, Representative (D-FL) was elected to the seat of Mark Foley, who had resigned following sexual harassment charges from his congressional interns. Mahoney ran on a campaign promise to make "a world that is safer, more moral." In October 2008, he admitted he placed his mistress on his staff and then fired her, saying, "You work at my pleasure." He then admitted to multiple affairs.[15]

Randall L. Tobias, Deputy Secretary of State (R) and former "AIDS Czar" appointed by George W. Bush: Stated that U.S. funds should be denied to countries that permitted prostitution.[16] He resigned on April 27, 2007, after confirming that he had been a customer of Deborah Jeane Palfrey, the DC Madam.[17]

Larry Craig, Senator (R-ID) Pleaded guilty to disorderly conduct following his arrest in a Minneapolis airport men's room in June 2007, on a charge of lewd conduct.[18]

David Vitter, Senator (R-LA): Took over former Congressman Robert Livingston's House seat in 1999, who resigned following revelations of an extramarital affair. At the time, Vitter stated: "I think Livingston's stepping down makes a very powerful argument that (Bill) Clinton should resign as well ..."[19] Vitters' name was then discovered in the address book of the DC Madam Deborah Jeane Palfrey. He admitted his adultery and withdrew from the 2003 gubernatorial race for governor. (2007)[20]

Mark Foley, Representative (R-FL) Resigned when accused of sending sexually explicit emails to underage male congressional pages. He was replaced by Tim Mahoney. (2006)[21]

Brian J. Doyle, (R) Deputy Press Secretary of the Department of Homeland Security was indicted for seducing what he thought was a 14-year-old girl on the Internet; she was actually a sheriff's deputy. On November 17, 2006, he was sentenced to 5 years in prison, 10 years of probation, and was registered as a sex offender.[22]

Jack Ryan, Senate candidate (R-IL) During sealed divorce proceedings in 2004, his wife Jeri Ryan accused him of forcing her to go to public sex clubs and described one as "a bizarre club with cages, whips and other apparatus hanging from the ceiling."[23] Ms. Ryan is better known as Seven of Nine from the TV show Star Trek: Voyager.[24]

Don Sherwood, Representative (R-PA) Failed to win re-election following revelations of a five-year extramarital affair with Cynthia Ore, who accused him of physically abusing her. (2004)[25]

Richard Gardner (R): While he was running as a candidate for the State Assembly from Las Vegas, NV in 2002, it was revealed that Gardner had pleaded guilty in 1988 to three counts of molesting his two daughters. He had also run for office in California.[26]

Gary Condit, Representative (D-CA) His affair with 23-year-old intern Chandra Levy was exposed after Levy disappeared. Her body was found a year later and in 2008, an ex-felon with no relation to Condit was charged with her murder. (2001)[27] Condit had often demanded that Bill Clinton "come clean" about his affair with Monica Lewinsky.[28]

Personally, a politicians outside sex life means nothing to me. in my opinion, Weiner should not have resigned but rather have the voters decide...same with Chris Lee. sexting people...well frankly, if the worst thing they got going for them is trying to cyber some people, then thats not too bad.

The hypocracy would kill someone running on a "family values" platform of course in voters eyes...so someone like Chris Lee would have far more fallout than Weiner (whom ran on...being from new jersey and representing there...actually...in that light, I would venture to say he probably connected more with your typical new jersey citizen..but I digress).

As Kissinger said, Power is the ultimate aphrodisiac..seems to work both ways

First and foremost, I am glad to see Weiner actually make a good decision for once in his life. Second, with regards to your list, I was amazed to learn that the House ethics Committee has actually delayed many of the cases that you mentioned here.

Interesting Column by Michelle Malkin

The same congressional panel that launched a preliminary inquiry into Weiner-gate this week has been diddling around with several other Democratic ethics scandals for years. These aren't foxes guarding the henhouse. They're sloths guarding the foxhole.

Weiner's dirty laundry is just the latest addition to a teeming heap of scandal. To wit: The committee still hasn't issued a final report into last year's reckless Capitol Hill predator du jour, former Democratic New York Rep. Eric Massa. He's the notorious creep who serially groped male staffers and subjected interns to "tickle fights" for months while then-House Speaker Nancy Pelosi looked the other way.

Then there's Beltway swamp queen Democratic California Rep. Maxine Waters. Last summer, after a yearlong investigation, the House Ethics Committee charged her with three violations related to her crony intervention on behalf of minority-owned OneUnited Bank in Los Angeles. The panel accused Waters of bringing discredit to the House for using her influence to seek and secure taxpayer-subsidized special favors for the failing financial institution. Her Democratic guardians have successfully delayed a trial for 10 months.

It goes on from there
www.realclearpolitics.com...

Mind numbing and full of excuses meanwhile these goons continue to work and collect paychecks. Behave like these folks have in the private sector and you will swiftly earn your walking papers.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Once his seat is vacant, Obama will get to say he created one more job.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by canselmi

That was pretty funny.

On topic.

I started out saying that since he technically didn't do anything illegal that we should let his voters decide whether he stays or goes in the next election.

I have now changed my opinion.

This thing has blown up since I made my initial opinion and now I see that he can no longer perform his job and should have stepped down when this first came to light knowing how bad this was going to get. One woman, I can rack that up to a bad decision, but 6 women and one underaged girl (no matter if nothing illegal occured) shows that he is not fit to serve his people.

He is in a lot of hot water if he stays and knows it. That is why he took the offer to leave if they drop the investigation. They should continue the investigation no matter what because I really think that he is scared of what they are going to find.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 12:56 PM
link   
I'm usually pretty open minded to these consensual kinds of affairs although in this case it sounds like some pretty nasty spam got emailed. You can't be sure his wife was a victim a lot of people these days have open marriages. I met a gorgeous ministers wife once that had an arrangement with her husband. She would call him for approval before having an affair. Her honesty was refreshing, but naturally my credit score wasn't high enough with him to qualify for a loan.

Seriously though whats the next level of public scrutiny? There must be some men in high places that have signed up to look at some pretty disgusting porn.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Glad he is gone.

One less obnoxious liberal in the House.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 01:24 PM
link   
yep yep

hes gone!

and much like the auidence i cheered too!

good riddence!

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 01:58 PM
link   
I think we just witnessed the Weiner re-election comeback beginning.

Well, if they re-elected him then that's that.

For now, he's got other things to work on.

I still say his wife will be the big winner when the smoke all clears.

Her boss has been a role model for her in many ways....

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by anon72

drop in here for a troubling look into Weiner's wife Huma. I'm just beginning to try and get a handle on all of this.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 09:31 PM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

reply to post by anon72

Glad to see you fellas savoring your last few precious moments of afterglow. Better late than never regarding the Congressman's decision. Perhaps he can sublimate his energies toward a more noble cause.

I'm sorry you're both feeling a little down that your aptly named punching bag will soon be out of reach. Aww, I'm sure you'll get over it. As far as "dragging it out" its is worth pointing out John Ensign waited months and resigned abruptly on the verge of an ethics investigation committee's results.

Oh well I hear Orly Taitz has unearthed a pair of bronzed baby shoes in Kenya purported to be belonging to Obama.
Plenty of new fodder.

OT: He did the right thing, all is well that ends well. Moral of story, NEVER name you son Anthony.

/MD
edit on 16-6-2011 by MaskedDebater because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join