It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Texas immigration bill approved by Senate

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 08:24 AM
link   

AUSTIN — Texas Senate Republicans flexed their muscle again, shoving aside angry and tearful objections from Democrats to pass a bill that gives police officers broader powers to ask people they detain about their citizenship status.

The 19-12 vote early Wednesday came after nearly eight hours of emotional debate in which Democrats railed against the bill as racist and a tool to harass Latinos.

The bill pushed by Republican Gov. Rick Perry now goes to the House for consideration, where it is expected to easily pass. The Republican super-majority in the House passed a similar version during the regular session.

Perry and supporters say the bill will help police fight crime committed by illegal immigrants. But opponents, including law enforcement chiefs in the state’s largest cities and immigrant rights activists, say the measure will allow rogue officers to target Hispanics.

Source: Laredo Morning Times online

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 08:27 AM
link   
I found the very last sentence of that article to be quite interesting. Exactly what "rogue officers" are these "opponents" referring to?
From my understanding of police tactics and guidelines at least here in the Dallas area, officers are not allowed to question the citizenship-status of anybody unless said status is directly related to an investigation or probable-cause.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 08:37 AM
link   
reply to post by TXRabbit

There will always be an opposing view and excuses made. Officers should be able to inquire about ones immigration status. We have an overwhelming number of illegal immigrants that impact the lives of citizens all across the USA. It is about time that States come down on illegal immigration and enforce our laws.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 08:48 AM
link   

But opponents, including law enforcement chiefs in the state’s largest cities and immigrant rights activists, say the measure will allow rogue officers to target Hispanics.

The chiefs are concerned about rogue officers? Maybe they need to get their houses in order.

If you are in the US illegally, involvement in a crime is not a requirement for arrest and deportation. You're already deportable.

ICE and Border Patrol cannot do it alone - they're overwhelmed as it is.

More Bills, please.
edit on 16-6-2011 by capod2t because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 08:57 AM
link   
Good for Texas.
Now, work on that Secession order and I may be moving back to Texas.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Spectacular, spectacular ... now I'm going to be pulled over and questioned regarding my last name and color of my skin.

I better make copies of my birth certificate and social security card or I'll get shot by the cops. Congratulations folks, hope your happy.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by anon102
Spectacular, spectacular ... now I'm going to be pulled over and questioned regarding my last name and color of my skin.

I better make copies of my birth certificate and social security card or I'll get shot by the cops. Congratulations folks, hope your happy.

You have to show ID's for many reasons in many places. If you have nothing to hide, this would not be a concern. My husband has that 'year 'round tan' as I call it, and he would have no problem showing any kind of identification because he has nothing to hide. If this helps to cut down on illegal immigration we are all for it.
edit on 16-6-2011 by Night Star because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Regardless of the law, if you are going to be targeted by a bad cop, it will happen either way.
Since you can predict the future, please provide the winning lottery numbers for next week.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 09:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Night Star

Just why would that be ok with your husband?? Is it because "those kind:" of people are just prone to bad activities; he agrees with that?

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by spyder550
reply to post by Night Star

Just why would that be ok with your husband?? Is it because "those kind:" of people are just prone to bad activities; he agrees with that?

Why wouldn't he be ok with it? You have to show your ID for many reasons. Why would he be afraid to show he is a legal citizen? We are overwhelmed in numbers of illegal immigrants who are a negative impact on so many levels. Why wouldn't he want our laws enforced?

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 11:18 PM
link   
There are good reasons why Texas added jobs while the rest of America is still in economic depression. This is one of those reasons.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 11:27 PM
link   

I better make copies of my birth certificate and social security card or I'll get shot by the cops.

Get ur social security card laminated so its sturdy for heavy use and invest in a bullet proof vest.

Have fun.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 12:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by capod2t

But opponents, including law enforcement chiefs in the state’s largest cities and immigrant rights activists, say the measure will allow rogue officers to target Hispanics.

The chiefs are concerned about rogue officers? Maybe they need to get their houses in order.

If you are in the US illegally, involvement in a crime is not a requirement for arrest and deportation. You're already deportable.

ICE and Border Patrol cannot do it alone - they're overwhelmed as it is.

More Bills, please.
edit on 16-6-2011 by capod2t because: (no reason given)

Agreed. And glad to hear about the 1,000 firms to be audited by I.C.E. for alien documentation. Keep up the good work

edit on 6/17/2011 by manta78 because: (no reason given)

top topics

join