It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Most Important Bands of the last Quarter Century

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 12:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Misterlondon

The Stone Roses really were a big deal.

I believe that they were kept out of the U.S. based on petty drug charges because America was not ready, at the moment, for another British Invasion. That's just me though.
I still listen to their music all the time. The drummer was a freak of nature on the same order as Stewart Copeland. Almost.

I felt compelled to add to all this....

I was listening to a lot of radio in L.A. when Nirvana went down.

My friends and I were all listening to Stone Roses and Rodney on the Rock had just debuted Smashing Pumpkins' Rhinoceros on his pick of the week 2 or 3 weeks before Smells like Teen Spirit hit the airwaves like a musical apocalypse. The thing I want to get across is that just previous to that the radio stations around here had been trying to feed us 'School of Fish' and 'Jesus Jones'. It sucked.

So thank god for nirvana and Seattle I guess. I just wanted to share that.
edit on 17-6-2011 by Frater210 because: history

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 01:51 AM
link   
I cannot believe no one has mentioned Primus. While I agree with most choices offered so far as influential in the last 25 years, I believe Primus needs to be added to the mix.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 02:04 AM
link   
Warning: The following videos contain strong language, adult themes, and unapologetic exhibitions of true hillbilly genius. City boys view with caution.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 02:05 AM
link   
reply to post by randomtangentsrme

I must have been reading your mind.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 02:21 AM
link   
ELBOW

I found this band by chance one day when a friend gave me a ticket to their show
I couldn't believe the fans they were the most diverse group
Headbangers -reduced to tears
Suits - headbanging
Young and old alike reveling in this bands unique atmosphere
If you haven't heard of them I'll provide a few tracks
The lyrics to "Leaders of the free world" should resonate if you are a true ATS'er

The problem with music today isn't the lack of good bands
It's rather the nefarious control of marketing and radio play

edit on 17-6-2011 by MinorityReporter because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 03:04 AM
link   
THIS is what music is about.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 03:32 AM
link   
This is a huge post because i love music & talking about it...

first quickly here's my 2 cent on the bands you mention -

Nirvana
Nirvana provide a good 20-30 tracks in my rock (90's - now) playlist of 400 or so tracks, they are as awesome as they are depressing, double edged sword with these guys...

The White Stripes
IMHO this is carefully wrapped & packaged alterantive rock/pop. I can't see them getting away from the /pop. just my 2 cent, never been huge fans, 7 nation army was a great cover, fell in love with a girl a great pop song.

Radiohead
Thom Yorke makes & breaks this band for me. Pyramid Song, Climbing up the walls, idiotechque & most of the 'thief' album are among my fav's from these guys.."true love waits" is a beautiful chord progression

Jeff Buckley
Jeff sings in a very style alot but writes romantic songs with hetrosexual lyrics, its an interesting mix but I tend to think music itself is more or less a genderless thing & there is an appropriate state of mind one can hold to appreciate all kinds of music that genuinely express something.

Oasis
Oasis were what I considered awesome as a young child, then I grew out of them as their popularity wained. I was never a big fan, just the hits, mind you I was probably all of 8 years old.

The Black Keys
I love these guys, this is real music because it its raw, honest & uncompromizing.

The Brianjonestown massacre
haven't heard them yet..

Originally posted by sir_slide
I ask ATS members to share their thoughts on the most important and influential bands or artists of the last quarter century. Could you please list your bands and also the reasons why you think they are the most important bands of the last quarter century?

'most important' is hard but I did come up with a few that I think could be included...in no particular order...

Rage Against the Machine

One of the rare instances of a successful blending of hip hop, rock & funk. A political & activist wellspring of organized power. Everything good.

Tame impala

the music is catchy psychedelic rock without the cheesyness, with modern production values & a lead singer that sounds like john lennon. hear - Solitude is bliss, Lucidity & Its not meant to be.

Tool

rarely does a band create such passionate division between the lovers & loathers of its music. I happen to love this band. From the Satanic drummer who plots out drum patterns according to ritual & magick learnt from his father to their geek-wrestler wine enthusiest singer who can bust out etheral melodies over the most dynamic progressive rock or scream like no one else I've heard for 30 seconds at a time... I think its impossible not to include these guys in this list even if only for the cult following.

NOFX

it's punk but its produced well & the band is tight. The lyrics are always funny & usually making an intelligent point about something, often something stupid, but in the last few albums fat mike has really put his thoughts & feelings on paper about societies ills, injustice & politics; while also managing to retain the intelligent comedy of the earlier classics.

Pearl Jam

these guys were one of the first that showed me what 'real' bands were. yellow ledbetter, go, black circle, evolution, elederly woman..., black, daughter... the list goes on. Their singer also has a rare note range to work with which he understand & uses to full effect.

Shpongle

There are few words that rhyme with Shpongle & few that can be used to describe the band, simply listen & be moved if you're inclined to kinetic action...
Shpongle Feat. Many Delago - Nothing is something worth doing (Live)

Erikah Badu

Not a band in the strictest sense of the word but she rarely (if ever) performs live without one. One of the most brilliant & original RnB Singer/songwriters of the modern times.

The Roots

Not a band at all in their origins they grew & evolved into a sophisticated & genre defying live band that delivers very potent messages no matter the topic.
The Seed

Finally for anyone interested here is the single greatest piece of classical music released in the last 100 years or so -

Steve Reich - Pulses (Music for 18 musicians)

The full composition goes for 62 minutes which tends to provide a blissful trance like experience for the listener. Its unique & listened to in the right setting can provide a very 'new' experience for even the oldest souls.

**Special Mentions**
Kings of leon, Artic Monkeys, Korn, The Mars Volta, Muse, Deftones, Meshuggah, Devin Townsend, SYL, System of a Down, Queens of the stone age, Green Day, Smashing Pumpkins, Placebo, John Butler Trio, Karnivool, Pixies, Presidents of the United states of America, deftones, a perfect circle, alice in chains, gotye, sonic youth, Cloudkicker, Attila, Between the Buried & Me, Pantera, SoulFly, Kaya Project, Younger Brother, Faithless...

"Tune-Yards - Bizness" & "bluejuice - vitriol" are great songs too...

Peace,
-B.M
edit on 17/6/11 by B.Morrison because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 03:33 AM
link   
reply to post by xxblackoctoberxx

Hey cool vid I enjoyed that
kinda reminds me of the porch when I was in school
the singing wasn't as good though

You seem to be in need of stars
so you get a well deserved one from me

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 10:10 PM
link   
reply to post by miniatus

aw thanks man... i LOVE that song & vid! possibly a new tomahawk album out this year - he's working on several projects as usual, but if my memory serves, this one just needed his bits & it's done

here's my fave song ever, just for you

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 02:27 AM
link   
Great thread, I agree with Radiohead being the most important/influential band of this era. I'd like to add Portishead as they are truly amazing.

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 02:54 AM
link   
Nirvana

Guns n Roses

Marilyn Manson

Garth Brooks

Toby Keith

Reba Mcyntire

Faith Hill

Tim Mcgrawl

Shania Twain

Christina Aguleira

Eminem

Tupac

Biggie

Dre

Snoop

Britney Spears

Papa Roach

Sum 41

Weezer

Green Day

Slipknot

Tool

Gwar

...jsut to name a few
edit on 18-2-2014 by metalholic because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 03:02 AM
link   
How bout Pearl Jam? Or Dev! Trent Reznor? Or Blink 182! Korn?
edit on 18-2-2014 by 0d1n5Unh0ly6h05t because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 03:09 AM
link   
Godsmack & Mudvayne!

Disturbed!
edit on 18-2-2014 by metalholic because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 07:56 PM
link   
ICP

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 02:52 PM
link   
(hold on a second! How come we (me included) never mentioned) SONIC YOUTH

posted on Mar, 7 2014 @ 11:36 AM
link   
I love how so many list bands nobody (well, the general public) has ever really heard of....

While I have to admit that the Beatles would certainly end up on the list, personally, I think they are the most overrated band in history. I can think of ONE song of theirs that is listenable, (to me), but they did certainly change the face of music.

To me, that's what makes a band "important". Shattering barriers, opening up avenues, creating subcultures, defining an era, etc.

The OP's first choice, Nirvana, for example, did this, whether you like them or not.

The longevity of bands is likewise a big deal...like the staying power and influence of KISS, Aerosmith, Rolling Stones, etc. throughout the years.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join