It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

All Things Survival: Show 13: Grab a hoe and meet me out back

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 07:13 AM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/4ba07808fc03.jpg[/atsimg]

Thursday, June 16, 2011 at 8:00PM EST

illustrial.net

The gathered a panel of hosts, include Military Veterans, Mountain Men and just plain old Hillbillies, with a combined experience in Survival of over 100 years!!!!!

Your Panel

JacKatMtn
Semperfortis
Ahabstar
12m8keall2c
Asktheanimals
and
Advisor

This week's show is going to be about growing your own...the time honored tradition of gardening. Middle of June is a bit late in the year to be putting out a garden, but it is a great time of the year to start planning (and working on) for next spring. The best part about gardening is that it doesn't have to be a SHTF situation to begin. In fact, like most things, it is a skill and is far better that it learned before things get that bad.

So TUNE IN THURSDAY @ 8:00PM EASTERN via illustrial.net and give us some listeners while you learn and expand your knowledge along the way. And if you have not checked out our YouTube Channel, stop by and watch the videos we have up. And be sure to leave comments, hit the like button or subscribe as you feel is appropriate.

Looking forward to seeing you there.

edit on 16-6-2011 by Ahabstar because: (no reason given)

edit on Thu, 16 Jun 2011 19:00:05 -0500 by JacKatMtn because: (no reason given)

edit on Thu, 16 Jun 2011 21:15:35 -0500 by JacKatMtn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 09:17 AM
link   
One of the more specific things we will cover, is growing, maintaining and enjoying an "Indoor" garden as well as Hydroponics...

This will be a great show folks

Semper

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Hopefully I can listen in this time, but if not... can you all cover the storage of veg.. specifically root crops for folks? No need for a root cellar... just a good trashcan, shovel to dig a hole and some straw

We have an actual root cellar in the back half of our basement, but when I tried this "trash can root cellar" the stuff actually kept better over the winter! Im a butternut squash freak... and this did well for them as well. You can keep stuff like:

potatoes, carrots, beets, turnips, and apples through the winter.

www.thefoodguys.com...

Doin' a great job guys! Keep up the great work!

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 03:13 PM
link   
One of the things I want to talk about is how to sow/plant/make cuttings from wild edible plants, something I;ve always thought of as "guerrilla gardening".
Also there are ways of using plant life to help defend your home or camp as well.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 03:48 PM
link   
I already know I cant make it... but one thought I would like to add and that's a poor mans canning answer...

what you do take whatever item your want to long term store... lets say it's flower... Put that flour in a large pickle jar... them drop in a small chunk of dry ice... the CO2 is heavier than air so as it sinks it displaces the O2...without oxygen most bacteria will die...so you give the dry ice four or five minutes to do it thing with the lid on lose enough the air (O2) is pushed out... then you simply screw the lid down tight... there you have it poor mans vacuum sealing

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

Ah, now where were you two weeks ago when we covered canning?

But seriously, that is an interesting method an should work just fine, especially on dried goods like flour, rice, wheat and various dried beans and nuts.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaddyBare
I already know I cant make it... but one thought I would like to add and that's a poor mans canning answer...

what you do take whatever item your want to long term store... lets say it's flower... Put that flour in a large pickle jar... them drop in a small chunk of dry ice... the CO2 is heavier than air so as it sinks it displaces the O2...without oxygen most bacteria will die...so you give the dry ice four or five minutes to do it thing with the lid on lose enough the air (O2) is pushed out... then you simply screw the lid down tight... there you have it poor mans vacuum sealing

Hmmm thats a really cool idea! Id never heard of it before!

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 06:01 PM
link   
I actually can't wait for this as I just started my first garden and nothing is growing except for 1 green bean plant.

Just that out of like 18 plants.

I've tried everything and it won't grow and am close to just giving up on the whole thing but i'll see what advice I can get from this.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 07:16 PM
link   
ON Air NOW

Come on and listen!!!

Semper

new topics

top topics

join