It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The beatless heart: Texas husband lives for five weeks without a pulse after doctors invent new arti

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 06:28 AM
link   

The beatless heart: Texas husband lives for five weeks without a pulse after doctors invent new artificial heart Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...

www.dailymail.co.uk

Doctors have implanted the world’s first beatless heart into a living human being.

Craig Lewis, a 55-year-old Texas man, lived for five weeks without a pulse. He died due to underlying disease – but doctors said the heart worked perfectly.

The device is formed by intricately tying together two ventricular assist devices, replacing the entire heart.

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk... W8nPf
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 06:28 AM
link   
This is utterly insane, further on down the article is reads that this has been experimented on animals and worked perfectly. Could this be the future of heart failure, well the article says it is. Kind brings the theory of zombies back into play since we all know, if there is no pulse then your dead..well that was until this apparatus was made public...

www.dailymail.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 06:43 AM
link   
There are many kinds of death, heart death is just one of them. Brain death I believe is when the person is really just dead - all forms of brain activity have ceased..

Even then, a zombie would not really be dead, it would just have sustained incredible brain damage to the point it behaves as your typical human-eating zombie.

Interesting article though
edit on 16-6-2011 by Somehumanbeing because: (no reason given)

Lately we have been redefining what it means to be dead thanks to technology. Good stuff.
edit on 16-6-2011 by Somehumanbeing because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 07:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Somehumanbeing

To me this is very good news, i mean even having such an option is positive thing, as i was reading the article and it pointed out the problems with current methods of heart transplants shows how obvious and logical it was that someone eventually built such a device.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 07:07 AM
link   
This is amazing. He had a limited capacity but it just shows what's possible.

Technology and Engineering will save the world. Theres still hope yet.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 07:44 AM
link   
This is very interesting. It kind of makes me wonder where we can and cannot go with this. Just how many body parts will we be able to swap out with man-made parts before it is too many parts. Interesting either way.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 10:31 AM
link   
I remember some 30 years ago seeing a TV movie that was centered around development of an artificial heart. As the designer had an efficient model based on continual flow the question was brought up then if there was medical need for a pulse. They decided they could add a pulse after the pump if that was going to be necessary.

Since that movie is quite old now I might have thought our medical science was already beyond that point, pumps are not exactly new tech ideas. I might have thought by now we were already examining replacement or augmentation of brain-controlled involuntary bodily functions as that seems closer to where our tech-levels are today.

Perhaps it is societal taboos that hold us back from development of biological replacement devices to replace kidneys, liver, even lungs and other vital organs. Even if we were still at a mechanical level of development for those I would think we should be closely approaching working models as those devices are essentially filtering and osmosis devices.

I should keep in mind though that we are not too many years beyond blood-letting as the apex of medical science and that sterilization has not been that long in common practice. Medical were not long ago, and arguably are still very much where we are today.

It was in the year I was born that the helix structure of DNA was discovered. Perhaps we have forgotten or destroyed much of what we knew about that in the ancient past. Those helix symbols have long been associated with medicine and science, back millenia before what we now understand of the relationship of that structure to the basic building-blocks of life.

edit on 16-6-2011 by Erongaricuaro because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 10:40 AM
link   
ok i'll be the first to say it... I know everyone else is thinking it

Zooooombie

It is amazing what medical science can do now!

Starred & flagged

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 10:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Somehumanbeing

Ok maybe second then

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Well, if they shrink it by a factor of 10, hook it up to the ANS, and power it with blood sugar, then I think they have something.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 11:04 AM
link   
oh nooooo does that mean Dick Cheney will live longer ?

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dr UAE
oh nooooo does that mean Dick Cheney will live longer ?

Yes it does, if i am not mistaken he has already received this unit.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 01:19 PM
link   
I guess in about 100 or 200 years instead of buying car parts or what have you, you will be banking money to buy organs. Lets say it will be more or less foreseen that in 40 odd years you would require a new heart (totally normal ) in 60 years you will require new kidney's (totally normal). Is it me or is the future slowing getting even more creepier year by year as all these new "upgrades" to the human body are somewhat freaky.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 09:13 PM
link   
I agree this is a very important breakthrough, for every single person on this planet. If this device can save even one persons life, then somebody still has there Mom, Brother, Teacher, etc to appreciate life and its lessons with.

Sometimes people cannot be saved and we can only help them pass on to the other side in comfort, But even if there is a small chance of saving a life I think it should be took.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 05:55 AM
link   
Well judging by the responses i guess people are more interested in the now and how and what's on sells rather than what is actually a huge break through.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 12:27 PM
link   
wow beatless heart. can;'t feel the pain of being a broken hearted?

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 12:29 PM
link   
how about IRON MAN? he has a different heart . offbeat

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Erongaricuaro

We're not close to mechanical replacements..

However we're very close to simply printing (yes, printing) new organs, and possibly growing them as well.

In addition there's new technology that replaces the cells of liver with the recipients to reduce rejection in transplants..

Still I think this new discovery is rather amazing with the heart.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Cool, maybe this means I can keep smoking delicious cigarettes and just get replacement organs when they start to die on me.

Something bites at me conscience though, in regards to the overpopulation of humanity... hrmm...

Great technical advance. How long until we defeat death altogether? And should we?

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by DeepThoughtCriminal
Cool, maybe this means I can keep smoking delicious cigarettes and just get replacement organs when they start to die on me.

Something bites at me conscience though, in regards to the overpopulation of humanity... hrmm...

Great technical advance. How long until we defeat death altogether? And should we?

i doubt we will ever avoid death it is what has actually made evolution possible and although i can see buying organs something to be a normal part of "life" in say about 300 to 500 years similar to buying goods at a supermarket or close to it, we sadly living in this time line will never live to see that era.

top topics

join