It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Personality tied to hygiene habits

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 04:46 AM
link   

Personality tied to hygiene habits

www.health24.com

Conducted in 2011 by the Global Hygiene Council (GHC), and based on responses to over 1.5 million questions, the internationalDettol HABIT Study (Hygiene: Attitudes, Behaviour, Insight and Traits) was carried out in 12 countries around the world - including South Africa. The study explored the factors that influence and shape different hygiene behaviour.

Overall, the study shows that there has been a decline in hygiene standards through past decades. In fact, some developing countries seem to be overtaking Western countries in their concern for hygiene. Hygiene practises are poorer in the
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 04:46 AM
link   
Well, I was brought up with the notion that personal hygiene is indeed very important. Not just to prevent diseases, but also for personal issues.

The fact that some developing countries seem to be overtaking Western countries in their concern for hygiene is a bit disconcerting though.

I mean honestly how hard is it to just follow a simple hygienic routine? Shower at least once a day, brush your teeth, wash your hands, etc. Its not that hard really.

vvv

vvv

www.health24.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 05:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep
The fact that some developing countries seem to be overtaking Western countries in their concern for hygiene is a bit disconcerting though.

I mean honestly how hard is it to just follow a simple hygienic routine? Shower at least once a day, brush your teeth, wash your hands, etc. Its not that hard really.

I think a lot of it may be down to general complacency. In the West, poor personal hygiene is generally just thought of as being a bit yucky, rather than as a potential cause for nasty diseases or infections. In the developing world, on the other hand, I expect that the emphasis is placed upon preventing disease when personal hygiene is promoted.

It should be simple to have a personal hygiene routine which is performed on a daily basis, but let's be honest: how many of us have considered skipping one or more aspects of this routine when we are a bit pushed for time ? I'm sure many of us, on occasion, have conducted a quick ''sniff test'' to ascertain whether we can ''get away with it''.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 05:16 AM
link   
in my opinion its common sense, hygene is lacking because of the rise in disease and ill health around the world... people who are sicker or overworked dont have time or energy to clean up and become unhygenic, its the rises in chemicals they put in our food thats the cause of much more disease and our overworked society only finding time for work and not home or having time for ourselves which are truely at fault.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 05:24 AM
link   
Actually just to point this out, too much "hygiene" is actually the cause for many many issues.

-Cancer
-Asthma
-Weak Immune System
-Dependency on Sterilized Products
-Flouride....Lots of Flouride
-Diabetes
-Eczema
-OCD
-I could go on for a long time

The truth is, dirty can be healthier.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 05:34 AM
link   
"Hygienic people get sick less often"

I call bull$#!t, if anything, less "hygienic" people get sick less often. We all know what washing your hands with antibacterial soap throughout the day does for your immune system. I hardly ever wash my hands (other than showers and after using the bathroom water rinse) I haven't been sick in over 6 years and even longer before that. Never got a flu shot either.

Maybe the people who don't wash their hands constantly get the ones who do sick, I wouldn't be surprised. Also, multiple showers a day with hot water and soap strip the stratum corneum layer of the skin, the outermost layer and makes you more susceptible to disease.

Also, despite what dentists say about brushing idealy after every meal, the acidity in foods can cause your teeth's enamel to soften. Brushing right after can strip more enamel away than if you were to wait and let plaque build up. It's better to brush before eating, although it may make your food taste bad

edit on 16-6-2011 by Artanis667 because: Punctuation, run on sentances

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 05:35 AM
link   
True, I can say for a fact, that i look and feel healthier without the daily fluoride soak and brush..

But healthy and clean are too different things heyy

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 06:55 AM
link   
The study was paid for by Dettol? That should tell you something.

Once again, there is a middle road somewhere that should be about right. Overuse of germ killing stuff backfires and we all know that. On the other hand, leaving food out uncovered for long periods invites germs and bacteria to make a new home and some of those are nasty, some are good for you, but you are taking a chance.

While I have not used soap or shampoo on my hair or body since the beginning of this year, and my hair and skin have never been happier, I do wash my hands with soap and water every time I come home from being out in public. It just makes sense.

I don't use deodorant or anti-perspirant, but I do wear clean clothes daily -- except the gardening stuff which gets downright ugly - but that's just good old natural garden variety dirt.

Hygiene is not about being sterile, but having the right balance of good vs bad bacteria. Bacteria are a necessary fact of life. Exterminating all of them is as bad as allowing just the bad ones to take over. It is not difficult, but it does take some finessing as well as a good thick skin to ignore the barrage of tv adds that tell you to buy this and that toxic chemical and douse yourself with it.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 07:09 AM
link   
NoOOOOooooooO.....

NoooOOOooOO......

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 07:13 AM
link   

While I have not used soap or shampoo on my hair or body since the beginning of this year, and my hair and skin have never been happier,
reply to post by wayno

How do you clean yourself then? Do you just use water?

Surely you sweat and get dirty, so i am just wondering how you clean your body without soap then?

Vvv

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 05:51 PM
link   

While I have not used soap or shampoo on my hair or body since the beginning of this year, and my hair and skin have never been happier,
reply to post by wayno

Surely you sweat and get dirty, so i am just wondering how you clean your body without soap then?

Vvv

I was wondering this as well

Personally I like clean people and I like being clean. I spend a good amount of time on personal hygiene because I LIKE TO. I use good products, many natural or plant based products.. and I have no idea where some get the idea you have to be a toxic stew to be CLEAN and well kept. I'd also have nothing to do with a man who had so little respect for me or himself to walk around filthy, unkempt and unclean.

Ive noticed the "3rd world immigrant" thing. Its true, and in some cases extreme. I think that perhaps some feel in our reasonably clean society that it is no longer as necessary to be so vigilant about cleanliness because we arent bathing in sewage or dead bodies here (Ganges, etc).Being an RN working in an ER for many years, Ive seen how disgustingly filthy people are.. and they are obviously in the ER for illnesses. I actually nearly gagged on a woman who refused to use deodorant or soap... because "aluminum causes alzheimers". Believe it or not, you can find natural products to use if you fear this. I think its purely laziness and a complete lack of self respect. Being a pig doesnt help your immune system any more than being an extreme germaphobe. Besides the 3rd world "thing" Ive also seen just pure laziness causing someone to walk around smelling like a dirty sock and BO. If you stink like that... bathe for Gods sake and work on your internal cleanliness to combat the odor... no one wants to smell you.

True Story: Back in the 70's my cousin was a "hippy".. and he stank something terrible. My grandmother told him to leave if he didnt shower and he said he was afraid to wash his "protective body oils" off. In other words, he was an idiot that didnt care to take a bath or wash his hair ......and made up a nice excuse for it.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 10:17 AM
link   

reply to post by wayno

Vvv

A good scrub with just a washcloth in a warm shower; including the scalp. That,s all it takes. I was actually quite surprised that even under the arms warm water and washcloth does the trick. I add epsom salts to the water when I take a bath -- again just a plain washcloth. Sometimes I use a soft bristle brush to scrub my scalp while showering, but not always.

To be honest I have doubts this would work with a teenager or 20-something because raging hormones can be associated with hightened body odours. Or maybe they would just need a couple showers a day, lol. I just turned 63 and my system is purring smoothly without too much commotion these days.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 10:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Advantage

I agree with you. I hate people who stink -- whether its from being dirty or wearing dirty clothes. Even worse is someone who tries to cover up the stink with perfume. Phony smells in perfumes and other personal hygiene products can themselves be nauseating.

It is a complete myth however, and brainwashing that has people thinking they actually need all those chemicals. You don't!

I love feeling clean too. I love the way my body feels as I scrub it with plain water and washcloth. I have always had a sensitivity to detergents and sudsing agents added to shampoo, soap and toothpaste. I was tested allergic to some name brand shampoos. So whenever I use any of those my skin is always in a hyper state of reacting. When I wash with plain warm water the lack of irritation is marvelous. My skin is so calm and happy. It makes me happy too.
I wish I could describe the feeling that the body has when it is not being assaulted by irritants which is what most products are. We did not evolve with those over the millenia and our bodies really cannot take that onslaught day in and day out.

You don't have to use any chemical or soap to be clean in most circumstances. Yes, when I've been out in public I wash my hands with mild soap and water when I get home. When I've been working in the garden I do the same with a good finger nail brush. For everything else it is plain water and a cloth.

Oh, and I don't smell bad -- quite the opposite.

edit on 6/17/2011 by wayno because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 05:24 AM
link   
An important thing to have is a horny layer of skin. Daily showers or bathing is BAD FOR YOU.

The biological machinery produced by the epidermis has the sole function of producing a horny layer or stratum corneum. While thick on the palms of the hands and soles of the feet, it hardly exceeds 1/100th of a millimetre elsewhere. This layer, the most superficial of the epidermis, is in direct contact with the external environment and therefore plays a vital role as a barrier against all sorts of aggression.

Source

Those who think they are being clean and healthy are actually damaging themselves and exposing themselves to vulnerabilities.

Ignorance is bliss.

top topics

join