It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Let's get familiar with what we are eating

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 03:15 AM
link   
I noticed an ARTICLE ON THIS WEBSITE about how certain dog foods contain a preservative called TBHQ.

TBHQ is an acronym for the word tertiary butylhydroquinone… a fat preservative added to a dog food to increase its shelf life.

TBHQ has been found to produce pre-cancerous stomach tumors in laboratory animals… and it can cause damage to a cell’s DNA.

What’s more, further studies have found that prolonged exposure to TBHQ may lead to other types of cancer, too.

Well, feeding any dog the same artificial preservative on a daily basis certainly qualifies for what could be called long term exposure.

And that begs the question…

With so many safe “natural” preservatives out there, why take risks feeding a questionable ingredient like TBHQ over a lifetime?

That’s why I refuse to feed our dog, Bailey, any product containing TBHQ. And until there’s conclusive proof that TBHQ is completely safe, I’d suggest favoring dog foods that do not contain this controversial chemical.

Guess what, people? TBHQ is used in virtually everything we eat.

Let's take a closer look:
HERE(TOBOC-National Importers & Exporters)
HERE(KKPoonja-Leading Chemical Manufacturers)

I am going to summarize, feel free to explore the links I've provided for more information.

From TOBOC:

Tertiary Butyl Hydroquinone(TBHQ) is a Synthetic food grade antioxidant used to stabilize foods, fats and vegetable oils aganist deterioration, thus extending their storage life.

APPLICATIONS:
• Vegetable oils
• Baked and confectionary Products
• Cosmetics
• Edible Fats
• Emulsifiers
• Flavoring and spices
• Margarine
• Snack foods like Fried Potato chips, Instant Noodles
• Citrus oils
• Butter Fats
• Fried Nuts
• Pat Foods
• Cereal and Grains
• Lard
• Essential oils like Peppermint oil, Orange oil etc.

It's also used in McDonald's nuggets and burgers!

FROM KKPoonja:

Hazardous Ingredients:
Itself , Hydroquinone

Health Effects:
Harmful in contact with skin and if swallowed. Irritating to eyes & skin

First aid measures:
Eye Contact - Flush eyes with water for 20 mins. Get medical attention immd.
Skin Contact - Wash with water for 20 mins and remove contaminated clothing immd. Get Medical attention.
Inhalation - Move to fresh air. Give artificial respiration if required. Get immediate medical attention
Ingestion - Do not induce vomiting unless instructed by medical personnel. Get medical attention immediately.

Additional information:
If the patient stops breathing apply artificial respiration and administer oxygen. Give nothing by mouth to an unconscious patient. Maintain body temperature and transfer the casualty to hospital.

Personal Precautions:
Goggles / face shield PVC /synthetic rubber gloves, overalls and protective footwear
Environmental Precautions Sweep Up, Place In A Bag And Hold For Waste Disposal.
Avoid Raising Dust.

Methods for cleaning up:
Use mechanical means. Ventilate Area And Wash Spill Site After Material Pickup Is Complete.

Persistence & Bio-degradability:
Expected to be slowly but ultimately bio-degradable

Risk Phrases:
R 22
HARMFUL IF SWALLOWED.
R 36/37/38

Tests done on lab rats resulted in them developing cancers and alterations their to DNA.

So there you have it. Check your labels, friends. We need to stop ingesting this crap. This is a serious issue that is highly overlooked. Hell, I didn't even know about this until today. Spread the word... Say no to ANY preservatives!

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 03:34 AM
link   
Thats why i dont feed my dog nor myself mcdonalds or any other commercial dog food

Thanks for pointing that out though
edit on 16-6-2011 by intergalactic fire because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 03:39 AM
link   
thanks for the info!
Just some more products to add to the never buying again list.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Toxicity is highly dependent upon dose. That is all.

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 03:11 PM
link   
I just bought some sausages at the store with this ingredient! Upon reading the packaging, I decided to type their acronym for the food preservative, and was brought to this thread. Thank you for posting the info. Since I lost the receipt, I will be forced to eat them. I won't be eating them frequently with this knowledge.

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by InFriNiTee

Since I lost the receipt, I will be forced to eat them.

says who...?

you can just throw them out

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 03:23 PM
link   
What we NEED to eat is things that only have ONE ingredient in them like eggs, fruits, vegetables, sweet potatoes, steak, beef, pork (From a literal butcher, NOT from a chain store. The literal butcher ((at least where I live)) literally takes the fresh dead animals right there and cleans em and slices em up and sells the meat), nuts, if possible get your milk FROM an actual dairy farm, not those hydrogenized milks you get in chain stores, stuff like that. Anything else has preservatives, etc inside and other nasties you really don't want to know about.

Eat smart, not silly. Read labels.

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 06:06 PM
link   
Also called 2-(1,1-Dimethylethyl)-1,4-benzenediol, and is in Calcium Disodium EDTA.

I have checked on some of my soybean oils and flavoring oils and I don't find this ingredient. In fact on my oils, I don't find any added ingredients. I do see EDTA in my mayo.

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 06:12 PM
link   
reply to post by sarra1833

Here's the thing with milk, a few dairies in history have had cleanliness issues and some people got very very sick. Some even died. As a rule, though, dairies were safe. Then the government stepped in. Now we don't get fresh milk and suddenly get ill or die from drinking it. We slowly die of cancer to just about any part of body, diseases we have no control over and no cures for because of the milk that it "government" approved. Think we're better off?
edit on 16-1-2012 by Gridrebel because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 06:48 PM
link   
I just went through a bunch of stuff in our fridge and cupboards. None with this chemical. I did find other chemicals that I recognized as preservatives.

I did find BHT (similar) added to the cornflake packaging material ( to keep it fresh
). I had thought that was only in dog food, which is one of the reasons I buy organic dog kibble with no preservatives.

I thought I would find it for sure, as many of the foods up here are imported. Some of the other preservatives are probably just as dangerous, but at least they aren't in everything.

Sodium benzoate is something I found a lot of, which is NEVER supposed to be mixed with ascorbic acid, yet it always is. Carcinogenic. :shk:

I have a good variety of chemical soup in my kitchen, but I mostly cook "real" food from scratch, so at least I'm only getting small amounts.

Here's a list of unhealthy food additives.
www.healthy-eating-politics.com...

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 07:03 PM
link   
I am from UK - on some food stuffs there is a royal emblem and the words By appointment to her majesty the Queen. When you read the ingrediants thay do not contain any preservatives e numbers or chemicals.
Seems they know something the public is not aware of.
Thanks for your post - I grow my own organic vegetables and try avoid anything that contains such additives.

top topics

join