It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Government Siezes Disscusion Board Website, Fights Back

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 12:57 AM
link   

news.yahoo.com...

"The Rojadirecta site does not host copyrighted videos or streams of sporting events, and the government does not allege that it does," it said. "It indexes links to streams of sporting events that can already be found on the Internet."

"By hosting discussion forums and linking to existing material on the Internet, Puerto 80 is not committing copyright infringement, let alone criminal copyright infringement," the petition said.

The website in question is from Spain, and is considered legal by the Spanish government.

If I understand what the video above is saying, if someone on a discussion board links to a "pirated" video, the entire website can be shut down now.

In the petition filed on Monday, Puerto 80 Projects said Rojadirecta hosts forums in which users post messages on sports, politics and other topics.

Sounds kind of familiar.....
edit on 16-6-2011 by buni11687 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 01:04 AM
link   
reply to post by buni11687

sorry I just don't get the US. The first amendment is about freedom of speech but they want to stop it at every turn?

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 01:06 AM
link   
reply to post by HelloJCneedsomehelp

sorry I just don't get the US. The first amendment is about freedom of speech but they want to stop it at every turn?

The thing is, this website is in Spain. Im not sure what law says the US can go into other countries and shut down their websites.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 01:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by buni11687

The thing is, this website is in Spain. Im not sure what law says the US can go into other countries and shut down their websites.

Sounds like an act of terrorism to me!!

Am I doin it right?

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 01:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Swills

Originally posted by buni11687

Sounds like an act of terrorism to me!!

Am I doin it right?
God damn it I hate the American Government!!!!!!!!!!!! They are imo a terrorist organization. Ooops, now I'm a terrorist coz I dislike them much.

edit on 16-6-2011 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 02:00 AM
link   
They are committing war. They said it their self. Any cyberatack on US, is an act of war. And we can bomb you.
Now they are doing it themselves

news.cnet.com...
edit on 16-6-2011 by TribeOfManyColours because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 02:04 AM
link   

Well they are bombing people in Yemen, Pakistan, Libya, Afghanistan and Iraq!

The Spanish should feel lucky just to lose a web site! "Groans of irony"

When will American get off they're Flouride induced stupor and take back their Great Nation, the clock is ticking and before you realise it it will be too late and the light will finally go out and you'll never get your moral compass back or a seat within the community.... "COME ON" get behind Ron Paul, at least he's trying to change it for the better, but he needs help!

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 02:06 AM
link   

\
I wonder if that's gonna be ATS in a little while.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 02:21 AM
link   
reply to post by kaiode1

This is what worries me. It was a discussion board they shut down. (It wasnt just sports, they also had forums on politics and other subjects)

Ive never been to the site the government shut down, but if they are going after discussion boards just because a couple members of that website linked to pirated material in their posts, what site is next? (I wonder what they consider "pirated" nowdays?)

Edit - And the website didnt have a small amount of users, they had 865,000 users.
edit on 16-6-2011 by buni11687 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 02:22 AM
link   
Well their buddies who own the media outlets are loosing cash!!.............gotta do something to look after your mates

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 02:39 AM
link   
Strange, I wonder what made them choose that site in particular, considering how many message boards there are in the world there must be thousand if not tens of thousands (probably including ATS) that have broken copywrite on one thread or other. Why arn't they going arfter them all?

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 04:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by HelloJCneedsomehelp

You're free to talk unless..

You hurt someones feelings.
Speak politically incorrectly.
Speak or act in a way that hurts corporate profits.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 04:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

Sadly I wish you where jesting but it seems more and more to be the truth..
what a sad messed up world we live in *shakes head in dismay*

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 04:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by HelloJCneedsomehelp

Now you are starting to get it - the truth, that is. The US government does not respect the constitution, it's putting in place a communist dictatorship at break neck speed.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 04:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by monkofmimir
Strange, I wonder what made them choose that site in particular, considering how many message boards there are in the world there must be thousand if not tens of thousands (probably including ATS) that have broken copywrite on one thread or other. Why arn't they going arfter them all?

They seem to be attacking Spain right now - falsely attributing the E.Coli outbreak to Spanish cucumbers and now this?

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 04:27 AM
link   

It's what happens when your government pretends to serve all the people while bending over backwards to serve corporations. I always find it odd that those who fight this sort of "infringement" are often big corporations, Hollywood, big music making companies that are already wealthy. Yet for independent musicians and artists the internet, and sharing their material, has become key to becoming known. So those who are already rich are typically the ones fighting internet sharing, while the little guy, the independent people, are typically using the internet to do better for themselves. Don't get me wrong we should protect the rights of corporations too but if they would embrace the internet sharing age they'd find it far more useful than detrimental.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 05:05 AM
link   
reply to post by kaiode1

The mods on ATS remove links on request so I don't think it will become a problem here.
Text quotes considered "intellectual property" could be linked by search engine reference if ATS got targeted.
Try the search terms "intellectual property" internet and Wiki for more information.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 07:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by kushin

Well they are bombing people in Yemen, Pakistan, Libya, Afghanistan and Iraq!

The Spanish should feel lucky just to lose a web site! "Groans of irony"

When will American get off they're Flouride induced stupor and take back their Great Nation, the clock is ticking and before you realise it it will be too late and the light will finally go out and you'll never get your moral compass back or a seat within the community.... "COME ON" get behind Ron Paul, at least he's trying to change it for the better, but he needs help!

Ron Paul CANNOT singlehandedly stop all of this and turn the country into whatever utopia he's preaching to you. Last time I checked, there were 500+ people that vote on legislation and 9 old geezers who interpret it. Don't forget the corporations, military, banks, and others who love the power they have and are loathe to discard it anytime soon.
On topic, the Bully that the US has become will soon find that the rest of the class (world) is sick of playground beatings and wedgies. There's a couple of tough kids there.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 07:53 AM
link   
Imagine that, the US Goverment takes control of a disscusion website. If you think this website is not under complete control you got another thing coming. It is still a fun website, but nothing is even bottom secret here. SO, the US has taken a stand against sharing anything and is pushing other evil actions like stealing and lying. My country is the anti-christ.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 01:31 PM
link   
reply to post by the owlbear

Don't forget the corporations, military, banks, and others who love the power they have and are loathe to discard it anytime soon. On topic, the Bully that the US has become will soon find that the rest of the class (world) is sick of playground beatings and wedgies. There's a couple of tough kids there.

Hopefully this monopoly will be short lived, these people are running out of time and they know it, this is why they are moving so fast of late.
The US is bankrupt and its only a matter of time before they must make it a fact, they world economy is crashing and the only way out will be a complete restructure of the global finance system. It will be the Asian countries who back this new system and corporate America is unhappy that they most probably will lose control of global finances as they have nothing to back a new system.

new topics

top topics

join