It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vancouver fans riot in the streets after loss of Stanely Cup to Bruins

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 11:10 AM
link   
I know people that were there who believe it was semi-organized. Also from video and camera footage the RCMP are going after people who they can recognize...and they will come down HARD. This is not the UK this is CANADA. It's not tolerated and it won't happen again.

It's 'the don't get it generation' of 20-32 yr olds that we are having to deal with at all levels now....globally...Because they've been allowed to grow up with no boundaries.

They don't wanna work...they don't wanna grow up...their still at home.....sorry if I might be pigeonholing...but the Gen 'Y's are going to be nothing but trouble....and that is the age group and social groups we are dealing with...God help us all when they're running the global markets.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Jools

It is interesting also to see how easily people are influenced to join in the trouble making by the perps. I know on facebook there's a whole group started with pictures posted and people identifying the troublemakers, some of which have outright admitted through bragging on facebook and twitter of their part in the trouble. I hope they get what's coming to them.

On the other hand, it's crazy to see how fast people can pick out the troublemakers on facebook now. People are giving up their friends and neighbors really fast. Interesting to see how this could be used in the future. Also facebook has the face recognition now too so I'm sure that helps.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jools
God help us all when they're running the global markets.

If there is a global market left by that time.
It's a sense of entitlement, not ever having had to work for anything. They don't understand the value of what people have worked hard to achieve so have no problem destroying it.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Again, this was ALLOWED TO HAPPEN. This will be a great because to get the GVRD police force they've been wanting for years.

WAKE UP! Stop blaming the 'rioters' and ask why the police LET THIS HAPPEN!

reply to post by Battleline

it's funny to me when people like you make a claim, and it's subsequently shown to be completely baseless, and then you come back and call people names.
You made a claim. It was proven wrong. Accept it.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Faiol
thats the state of the world right now, some people trying to be relevant by doing this kind of thing, their life has no meaning in their minds

to defend others or its rights, nobody does anything, but because of a game? you gotta be kidding, with the amount of videos out there, a lot of people can get raped in jail ... lets hope for it

This i Canada not the US, at least until the crime bill in January. You don't get raped in prison here often. Most criminals don't do more than 5 years in jail, and the focus is usually on rehabilitation rather than punishment.

About the riots though... there was good reason to riot but the people that were doing it don't even care about hockey. They should have stormed the ice and grabbed Gary Bettman and Colin Campbell. Those two Hate Canada's involvement in the NHL and have shown it extensively over the years.

Campbell's referees allowed the Canucks to be violated by any US club player without any recourse. We were the best team in the league yet the league kept claiming we were the most HATED team in hockey. His son played for Boston, and even though he stepped down before the series started, it was too late, Vancouver had nothing left to show the Bruins, we fought them on our last leg.

That says alot about Canada. Even when you stack every card against us, we will still take you till the bitter end. Campbell tried to get us knocked out in the first round against Chicago. And when our club owner addressed the one sided calls from the referees, he was fined by the league for speaking out. He even said during the Boston series that there were a lot of things he would like to say but was afraid of being punished for it.

And the American Government Seal on the forehead of Tim Thomas' helmet says a lot, it was about the US beating Canada (even though they had like 15 Canadians on their team helping them)

We should have been rioting the boarder crossings because in the end it was about Americas complete lack of respect for Canada.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by awareness10

www.theprovince.com...

I know who one of these guys is, been posted on blogs.

Wonder why there is so much rage.

edit on 123030p://bSaturday2011 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 12:23 PM
link   
reply to post by tom goose

because in the end it was about Americas complete lack of respect for Canada.

So they trashed their own because of America,

smart move.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   
How could this possibly be a Canada vs US issue? When the Bruins have more Canadians on the team than the Canucks do?

As for Bettmen...he is an idiot, but he does not hate Canada. He is doing what he thinks is the best for the NHL in the long run. US = very large market. Canada = very small market. If he can swing the US to hockey at 50% baseball levels, he will be hailed as a hero for a long time. Wether we like it or not, US is integral to NHL survival, deal with it.

As for the riot...well, there was going to be a riot win or lose. Where is the suprise. Alcohol + confined space = trouble.

There was no way for the police to be 'right' about this. Example = Edmonton 2006 riots.

When the police 'allowed'
the riot to happen, they were blamed for allowing it. When they stepped up security to prevent future riots, they were blamed for being to 'heavy handed'.

Maybe we should focus on the idiots that started it and the sheeple that followed it, before we blame the people that can not be 'right' regardless of the decisions they make.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777

because in the end it was about Americas complete lack of respect for Canada.

So they trashed their own because of America,

smart move.

don't be smart ass. I love these forums, its full of people that talk in fashion they would never had the nards to do in real life.

yes we did, are you trying to say that a US city has never rioted after a stanley cup?

We had a lot to riot about, but non of that was expressed. Total misdirection and the only thing on the news for the last 72 hours. Where is the news about how the games were fixed? I know a lot of people that have vowed to not watch hockey anymore the same as people stopped watching boxing. Non of that is talked about.

Its time for a new league.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by peck420
How could this possibly be a Canada vs US issue? When the Bruins have more Canadians on the team than the Canucks do?

As for Bettmen...he is an idiot, but he does not hate Canada. He is doing what he thinks is the best for the NHL in the long run. US = very large market. Canada = very small market. If he can swing the US to hockey at 50% baseball levels, he will be hailed as a hero for a long time. Wether we like it or not, US is integral to NHL survival, deal with it.

As for the riot...well, there was going to be a riot win or lose. Where is the suprise. Alcohol + confined space = trouble.

There was no way for the police to be 'right' about this. Example = Edmonton 2006 riots.

the riot to happen, they were blamed for allowing it. When they stepped up security to prevent future riots, they were blamed for being to 'heavy handed'.

Maybe we should focus on the idiots that started it and the sheeple that followed it, before we blame the people that can not be 'right' regardless of the decisions they make.

So your saying it is just good business to slant the games in favor of US teams? I already acknowledged that most of Boston was Canadian...how else would they win a game

You don't think that it would be in Bettman's interests to expel Canadian teams from the NHL and force us to start our own national league that would pale in comparison to the US fuding? Kinda like the NFL and CFL ?

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 12:43 PM
link   

While I agree the cops are in a lose/lose situation, my point was that they were NOT PREPARED for crowd control of over a 100,000 people. This was likely an INTENTIONAL plan because they knew that riots would occur, and yet didnt bring ANYWHERE near enough officers into the core to ensure a peaceful crowd. IN ADDITION, when people began showing signs of rowdiness, like throwing bottles at the outdoor screens, and spitting on people, they did NOTHING! They didnt even have the opportunity to to be 'heavy handed'. They sat back and watched it happen.

Boston also had small pockets of people acting rowdy, but a MASSIVE police presence prevented much from getting out of hand. The VPD didn't, and it most certainly engendered this riot.

IF you know anything about the police in the Greater Regional Vancouver District, you would know that 'tbtb' have been pushing for a more centralized, regional police force to replace the separate and often disparate city police forces spread through metro vancouver.

This 'riot' provides an EXCELLENT opportunity for the to point out that they need MORE funding, MORE cops, and more regional authority. And they already are.

So your saying it is just good business to slant the games in favor of US teams? I already acknowledged that most of Boston was Canadian...how else would they win a game

Absolutely. US markets are more lucrative than Canada markets, and east coast "Original Six" markets are more lucrative than west coast markets. In addition, many of the key decision makers in this series and within the NHL are either from Boston, or former Boston Management.

This has nothing to do with a player's nationality. It has to do with following the money for the FRANCHISE. And it's FAR more to do with the old-school mentality favoring east coast 'Orig. 6' hockey than the newer west coats markets that often dont even sell out arenas.
edit on 18-6-2011 by incrediblelousminds because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by incrediblelousminds

While I agree the cops are in a lose/lose situation, my point was that they were NOT PREPARED for crowd control of over a 100,000 people. This was likely an INTENTIONAL plan because they knew that riots would occur, and yet didnt bring ANYWHERE near enough officers into the core to ensure a peaceful crowd. IN ADDITION, when people began showing signs of rowdiness, like throwing bottles at the outdoor screens, and spitting on people, they did NOTHING! They didnt even have the opportunity to to be 'heavy handed'. They sat back and watched it happen.

Boston also had small pockets of people acting rowdy, but a MASSIVE police presence prevented much from getting out of hand. The VPD didn't, and it most certainly engendered this riot.

IF you know anything about the police in the Greater Regional Vancouver District, you would know that 'tbtb' have been pushing for a more centralized, regional police force to replace the separate and often disparate city police forces spread through metro vancouver.

This 'riot' provides an EXCELLENT opportunity for the to point out that they need MORE funding, MORE cops, and more regional authority. And they already are.

I agree 100%, if you watch the footage, they would not even engage the large groups of looters. As soon as they did.... the looters left. go figure, huh. Just let them go long enough to make a lot of news and then all they had to do is ask and people would have left.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by tom goose

You don't think that it would be in Bettman's interests to expel Canadian teams from the NHL and force us to start our own national league that would pale in comparison to the US fuding? Kinda like the NFL and CFL ?

How is it slanted in US teams favour?

Of the 39 NHL referees, 5 are from the US, 4 are not specfied, and 1 is from Sweden.

The remaining 29 are all Canadians...

53.9% of all players are Canadian. International players routinely come to Canada just for the oppurtunity of being scouted.

If anything I would say there is a very pro-Canadian bias in the NHL, not a pro-US one.

If it wasn't for simple economics, Canada would have far more teams than the US as well. But, there are few cities in Canada (that don't have teams) that could actually afford a team.

As for individual team performance, any team has the oppurtunity to become great. It is not the NHL's responsibility to provide that for them. It is what the management is for.

This game was simple. Boston brought A game + Thomas, Vancouver brought entitlement + Luongo...Boston earned their cup and should have earned the respect and admiration that should come with it.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Absolutely. US markets are more lucrative than Canada markets, and east coast "Original Six" markets are more lucrative than west coast markets. In addition, many of the key decision makers in this series and within the NHL are either from Boston, or former Boston Management.

This has nothing to do with a player's nationality. It has to do with following the money for the FRANCHISE. And it's FAR more to do with the old-school mentality favoring east coast 'Orig. 6' hockey than the newer west coats markets that often dont even sell out arenas.
edit on 18-6-2011 by incrediblelousminds because: (no reason given)

I see a house of cards here. People place bets on these games. Odds are made based on player and team stats. If there is any hand in swaying the outcome of these games, how come the BC gaming commission is not involved, or any gaming regulator from US state or federal government? Or are they?
edit on 18-6-2011 by tom goose because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by peck420

Are you intentionally misconstruing the point? It isnt about favoring CANADIANS. It's about favoring more lucrative markets. West coast hockey is not as lucrative as the 'original six'.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by incrediblelousminds

What is there to misconstrue?

Where is the evidence of favouritism?

Where was this 'apparent' favouritism when Edmonton won 5 cups?

Favouritism is being thrown out as a copout to why 'our team lost'. It has and will be thrown around by a few whenever their team loses.

As for being 'east coast' biased...the majority of NHL teams are on the east coast. It makes perfectly logical sense that the majority of winning teams are east coast teams.

It really pisses me off when my fellow Canadians throw BS excuses around about the NHL and hockey. There are very simple reasons for why the NHL wants a larger US presence.

We may have 'religionized' hockey, but we do not 'own' hockey.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 01:19 PM
link   

How is it slanted in US teams favour?

Of the 39 NHL referees, 5 are from the US, 4 are not specfied, and 1 is from Sweden.

The remaining 29 are all Canadians...

53.9% of all players are Canadian. International players routinely come to Canada just for the oppurtunity of being scouted.

If anything I would say there is a very pro-Canadian bias in the NHL, not a pro-US one.

If it wasn't for simple economics, Canada would have far more teams than the US as well. But, there are few cities in Canada (that don't have teams) that could actually afford a team.

As for individual team performance, any team has the oppurtunity to become great. It is not the NHL's responsibility to provide that for them. It is what the management is for.

This game was simple. Boston brought A game + Thomas, Vancouver brought entitlement + Luongo...Boston earned their cup and should have earned the respect and admiration that should come with it.

Its about US CLUBS vs Canadian CLUBS, not players. Canadians play better hockey, that is a fact and the US CLUBS are obviously going to recruit the best. This is not about the players it is about the CLUBS!!!.

Yes Boston brought a bigger game, and like i said before but you neglected to point out is that the best team in the league (Vancouver) had no game to bring because referees through out the previous 3 rounds allowed American CLUBS!!! to take advantage of Vancouver's passive style of play. We don't have enforcers, or big people that we can send out after those that attack our best players, and the refs let every other team take advantage of that all the way through the playoffs.

I thought we were done with bully hockey!

We had no game to bring Boston, we had busted hips, bruised backs, sore legs from a-holes that kept poking at them with their sticks even when the refs were watching. Boston got babied all the way through and loads of energy left by game seven.

We will get over it, in 2014 during the winter Olympics.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 01:24 PM
link   

reply to post by incrediblelousminds

What is there to misconstrue?

Where is the evidence of favouritism?

Where was this 'apparent' favouritism when Edmonton won 5 cups?

Favouritism is being thrown out as a copout to why 'our team lost'. It has and will be thrown around by a few whenever their team loses.

As for being 'east coast' biased...the majority of NHL teams are on the east coast. It makes perfectly logical sense that the majority of winning teams are east coast teams.

It really pisses me off when my fellow Canadians throw BS excuses around about the NHL and hockey. There are very simple reasons for why the NHL wants a larger US presence.

We may have 'religionized' hockey, but we do not 'own' hockey.

Edmonton won 5 cups because anybody that got close to Gretzky got the living crap beat out of them by one of 3 enforcers at the time. People knew better than to attack a star because you were afraid to lose to him. Now days if you send a guy out to fight someone that is attacking your star, you get shunned. Now where is Crosby? hard to slant games when you have someone out there that can make a fool out of every attempt. He would still be playing if everyone new it would hurt real bad to touch him.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Its about US CLUBS vs Canadian CLUBS, not players. Canadians play better hockey, that is a fact and the US CLUBS are obviously going to recruit the best. This is not about the players it is about the CLUBS!!!.

Yes Boston brought a bigger game, and like i said before but you neglected to point out is that the best team in the league (Vancouver) had no game to bring because referees through out the previous 3 rounds allowed American CLUBS!!! to take advantage of Vancouver's passive style of play. We don't have enforcers, or big people that we can send out after those that attack our best players, and the refs let every other team take advantage of that all the way through the playoffs.

I thought we were done with bully hockey!

We had no game to bring Boston, we had busted hips, bruised backs, sore legs from a-holes that kept poking at them with their sticks even when the refs were watching. Boston got babied all the way through and loads of energy left by game seven.

We will get over it, in 2014 during the winter Olympics.

Lol!

What a crock of $hit.

Boston worked their collective a$$es off and it payed off.

Vancouver went in as #1 and is crying because they were 'marked'...guess what #1 is always marked. #1 means that you have EVERY other team in the league gunning for YOU.

As for who is 'cheap and dirty' you might want to look at how Vancouver plays before you crtisise the other teams. Which team used a dirty hit to remove one of Boston's players? I can't seem to remember...lol. Come to think of it, even Don Cherry said after that hit that Boston would win, that Vancouver had just galvanized the other team...

Hockey is a physical sport. From day one of the playoffs, the question of who is going to have the 'gas' to make it is asked. Vancouver didn't have it.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Yup, it was the all Gretzky show.

Nobody else on the team did anything except him. Oh damn, how did one of those cups get in their without Gretzky?

The Oiler's won because they never gave up and they never stopped. Their bodies were sacrifices for the win.

Boston played the same way and won...suprise, suprise.

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join