It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Parrots and Crows can make use of Tools, research reveals!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 10:32 PM
link   
Source

Parrots and Corvids frequently astonish researchers investigating animal intelligence, in particular when it comes to solving technical problems. The New Caledonian crow (Corvus monduloides), for example, manufactures and uses elongated objects such as sticks or pieces of Pandanus leaves as tools to probe for grubs in tree bark and dead wood. The kea (Nestor notabilis), a mountain parrot which is unknown to employ tools in the wild, can accomplish the use of compact objects tools to knock a food reward out of place.

Very interesting... Im sure most of us new that the parrot was a smart cookie.. however.. i was aware that crows also had a similar level of inteligence.... as ive never seen a crow on a bicycle before!

Pretty amazing stuff tho and an interesting read!

Your thoughts as usual please?

Peace

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 10:40 PM
link   
I have a pet Starling. He was tossed out of his next by his mama and was soon to be cat food. I hand fed him and taught him to talk. He is a smart cookie. (:

He asks for water when he is thirsty/wants a bath and begs for his bread and 'yummy bread' (cake). He has a little dance he does on my hand for special things that is always the same choreography and he is SMART.

Starlings are the Corvid family like the Crow. His name is Widget and he is a wonderful pet. His newest phrase is " I guarantee it" and his oldest phrase is "Simply Smashing".

He also picked up the phrase " What'd ya Say?" from hearing me yell from one end of the house to the other so much. ha lo. All in all , he says about 60 words/phrases, and talks in his sleep. He also has a little bird voice he uses just for me. Yes, smart birds.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 10:42 PM
link   
It took research to realize this??
I have a pet cockatoo and i see her using her little things to do all sorts of tasks.

What about seagulls flying way up high to drop oysters to eat?

Crows, they are the most resourceful birds even animals i've seen in my life.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 10:46 PM
link   
reply to post by solsticks

I would love to see some footage of your little starling having a chat! lol.. i love smart birds!

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 10:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Anttyk47

Yes mate.. I know we all knew this .. but the study has led to a new direction in cognative research .. which in itself is a win for the research team.

But yes .. all in all we knew that these birds were super smart.

There are types of parots over here in australia who grab these ocari nuts (spelling im not sure of) and they drop them onto the roads so that the cars will drive over them and crack them.. then when the coast is clear.. they sneak over and grab the fruits of their rather clever labour.

simply amazing is nature at its best!

Peace

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 04:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Anttyk47

It took research to realize this??

i'm afraid so

if OP had just posted his personal experiences and made the mistake of extrapolating

the slightest thing,

this thread would have rapidly filled up with debunking posts

S&F because i've resonated with corvids even before i was born

my sephardim ancestors spanish surname is derived
from an ancient iberian word for crow or raven

oh and for the pics or it didn't happen crowd

new topics

top topics

join