It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

110-year-old light bulb still shining!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 09:56 PM
link   
I'm sure this has been posted before but I couldn't find it using the search function so here it goes, if it is a duplicate just close the thread.

This is pretty amazing, watch the video.

www.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 10:08 PM
link   
it is pretty cool i have seen it before. i used to work near where the keep it at the fire station. you cant imagine how many people come over here to just see it. i cant believe after 110 years it still work
edit on 15-6-2011 by shorty1 because: forgot to put word in

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Seen this before, and I still think its brilliant! Makes me sad that manufacturers make bulbs so weak with tiny lifespans, just so they can sell more. Such a waste of resources to feed greed.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 10:28 PM
link   
its the ` on / off cycle ` that is most damaging to an incandesant bulb filiament - repreated heating / cooling

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 10:39 PM
link   
reply to post by ignorant_ape

That is what you have been told. This isn't true, what is true is that when the bulb was first being mass produced, it was obvious that if all bulbs lasted 100 years, the mfg's would be out of business pretty quick. It was decided then that planned obsolescence was the answer. The mfg's formed a world wide cartel and established the limited lifespan rule. All bulbs must conform or the company would be fined. Many folks have come along with great bulb designs and they are stonewalled. This was the beginning of what we know as the expiration date on products, but what we think is poor mfg and design. All products that are mass produced go through this process, you are consumer and if things don't fail, you won't consume, and of you don't consume you might evolve.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 11:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Scoriada
I'm sure this has been posted before but I couldn't find it using the search function so here it goes, if it is a duplicate just close the thread.
What did you search for? I took most of your title and searched for that, all except the number of years since I figured the original thread could be a year or more old (I searched for this: old light bulb still shining). The original thread came up as about the fifth result?

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Originally posted by Skyfloating

This lightbulb is known as The Cenntenial Light. It has been noted by General Electric, The Guinness Book of World Records and US Government because its been burning since 108 years.
The original thread even has pictures!

I'm really curious about how people are running their searches when they say things don't show up that show up for me. What did you search for that it didn't show up? Or did it show up and you just missed it?

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 02:09 AM
link   
I am so glad to hear it made another 3 hours, keep going little light bulb !!

Man is this OLD news, & I mean OLD.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 03:06 AM
link   
thread is an apology for being unable to properly use the search function. ?!?!?!

why don't you try speaking to the topic, OP?

seriously.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 07:10 AM
link   
Referenced a few posts down:

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Arbitrageur

Originally posted by Scoriada
What did you search for? I took most of your title and searched for that, all except the number of years since I figured the original thread could be a year or more old (I searched for this: old light bulb still shining). The original thread came up as about the fifth result?

Originally posted by Skyfloating

This lightbulb is known as The Cenntenial Light. It has been noted by General Electric, The Guinness Book of World Records and US Government because its been burning since 108 years.
The original thread even has pictures!

I'm really curious about how people are running their searches when they say things don't show up that show up for me. What did you search for that it didn't show up? Or did it show up and you just missed it?
tO ALL YOU HIGH AND MIGHTY SUPER SEARCH HEROES.
This is what I typed in the search window :
"110-year-old light bulb still shining in US"
which is the title verbatim to the news site where the video is found.
I am sorry my ATS search skills suck, if you noticed I stated that if already existed THE MODS could close the thread if they so chose. I didn't realize we had a search police here.

Besides, the other threads were so old I'm sure SOME members are glad I posted this thread.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 10:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Scoriada

I appreciate that the search function on ATS is one of the most useless on the web, but it wasnt needed, the thread titled "Oldest lightbulb still burns bright after 110 years" (which shares all the same words as yours but 1, proving how bad the search is) was posted only 3hrs earlier & was clearly visible on the same page, even in the same column for a while.

I think we can all agree though that ATS needs to do some serious work on its search function, & preferably implement an automatic one when people start threads. With that it could say "These threads are similar, are you sure you want to post ?"

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 04:09 PM
link   
There are only a few organisations which can comission bulbs with this kind of longevity these days, and they are almost exclusively military , and private enterprises, and individuals with a metric crap tonne of money.
The everyday man, the ones who would actualy BENIFIT from not having to replace the simple lighting in thier miserable hovels, will never see such a technology . The same can be said for car engines that run on water, which will never be available to the common man, hyper efficient solar panels, and a whole host of other inventions , the halfwit cousins of which are the only thing that the average person will ever see.

This is , as has been previously stated, is purely because nothing gets done on this damned planet, without a bottom line. Houses continue to be prohibitively expensive, even though they are at some of thier lowest prices for decades in real terms, even though having a home (defined as a place from which no man,nor force of men or law, can rightfuly eject you) ought to be a human right. Medical equipment, medicines, and methodologies which could save millions of lives and improve the lives of millions more, are kept from the people who need them, because they are not considered "affordalble" while medicines which have lesser reliability are pimped by the companies that make them, because they would rather have the garunteed income of returning customers. They do not care that the returning customers are cancer patients who have relapsed, and WILL die, if left in the state they are in.

There is only one way that any of this will EVER change. It wont happen when you elect a new government, because wether you live in the US or the UK, wether you live in South Africa, or Australia, wether you live in Iraq or Iran, you have no power to choose who the parties elect as thier candidates for primacy, and zero control over policy once the votes are counted.
The only way that things will change, the only way that morality and compassion will ever over ride considerations of economy is if honest, hardworking folk, who know what REALLY matters in life, become the people making the choices , deciding policy. These are the only people who are capable of preventing hegemony, the only people who will refuse to compromise, and will insist on getting the best of both worlds, both economy and morality.

Removing those who are corrupted by familiarity with the twisted systems by which greed rules the world, and replacing those people with those who would not just prosecute , but make WAR on greed will be the only thing that saves this planet from complete destruction, starvation, and wasting away as slowly but surely the rich are the only people who will be able to afford to even breathe.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 04:25 PM
link   
The search function used to work back in the day. Then it was changed a few more times, and each form made the search worse. I now refuse to use the ATS search function, and search on dogpile or some such other engine. As they work way easier than the archaic form we have here.

Honestly, I still prefer the old search we had, before the Boolean one was used.

Those were the days...

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 06:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by ADVISOR
The search function used to work back in the day. Then it was changed a few more times, and each form made the search worse. I now refuse to use the ATS search function, and search on dogpile or some such other engine. As they work way easier than the archaic form we have here.

Honestly, I still prefer the old search we had, before the Boolean one was used.

Those were the days...

I rarely get results when I want to create a post, but when looking for a post subject I can usually find it. The trick is to use as little wording as possible.

I agree that the lightbulbs being produced today can last longer, but just like car parts, they're made to deteriorate so the company can continue to sell the product and stay in business. What we probably need is a company to come out with humanitarian efforts in mind rather than profit - which is probably not going to happen in the next 100 years or however long money rules the populace.

join