It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

First Lady to Hollywood: Reflect military families

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 06:05 PM
link   

First Lady to Hollywood: Reflect military families

www.cnbc.com

Michelle Obama wants to see more stories of military families on TV and in movies, so she came to Hollywood to do something about it.

The first lady met with members of the writers, producers, directors and actors unions at the Writers Guild Theater to discuss Joining Forces, an initiative aimed at increasing public consciousness and support of military families.

She hopes the Joining Forces initiative inspires Americans to understand the sacrifices made by military personnel and their familie
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 06:05 PM
link   

"In the end, this isn't just about the stories, but about having the men and women and their families who serve our country feel the gratitude every day from a grateful nation,"

You know, how about going through congress first for all these wars and getting support for the wars the right way?

How about no more propping up foreign "elected" officials?

Nut no, the best way to gain support is through entertainment!!

But hey, what do I know?
I'm just a conspiracy theorist right?

www.cnbc.com

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia

"In the end, this isn't just about the stories, but about having the men and women and their families who serve our country feel the gratitude every day from a grateful nation,"

You know, how about going through congress first for all these wars and getting support for the wars the right way?

How about no more propping up foreign "elected" officials?

Nut no, the best way to gain support is through entertainment!!

But hey, what do I know?
I'm just a conspiracy theorist right?

www.cnbc.com

It's not her job to go through congress to get support for the war.

So you don't think the people in the military don't deserve recognition for the sacrifices they make for this country? Or is this just another lame attempt to complain about the president by way of his wife?
edit on 15-6-2011 by buster2010 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Yes! Let's make more movies that mislead people that the military is fighting for our freedom, and the sacrifices they and their family make, mean a damn to our life here at home. In other words she wants more propaganda coming from hollywood. Isn't there enough of that already?

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia

Congress approved both the Iraq and Afghanistan wars. After which the majorities in the Senate and House whether they be Republican or Democratic were more than happy to dump billions of more money into it.

The Libya Nato mission is questionable, but it's a drop in the bucket compared to the congress approved wars.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by buster2010
It's not her job to go through congress to get support for the war.

Oh Right my mistake
She must have woke up on the weekend and decided to do this
didn't at all come from the administration

Originally posted by buster2010
So you don't think the people in the military don't deserve recognition for the sacrifices they make for this country? Or is this just another lame attempt to complain about the president by way of his wife?

A true sacrifice would be disobeying unconstitutional orders and immoral wars
That's what the real heroes did during the Vietnam war after being lied to about Gulf of Tonkin.

You are just supporting a dictator, not the soldiers
You are just supporting war profiteers, not the soldiers
You are only supporting China by supporting the wars and by extension high interest loans, not the soldiers

If soldiers were really fighting for our freedoms in the last decade we would have more of it, not so very less as we currently do

Wake Up!

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 06:24 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

\

Ehh, it's what I've come to expect. More propaganda and psychological conditioning meant to make young folks like me willing go out and die for the good ol' "motherland." Just more smokescreens so we don't recognize the evils of policing the world. So now we've got a lying president who claimed he was going to bring the troops home, and a first lady that wants to see us brainwashed. What a one-two punch

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 06:28 PM
link   
So, we should expect more movies about soldiers losing their homes to foreclosure while overseas on assignment, right?
2nd line (if needed
)

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 07:58 PM
link   
In addition to some of the great points already made, I wonder what actually prompted the move in the first place. I mean, is this the government's way of saying something like: "Crank up the mass brainwashing apparatus because people are going to have to be a lot more patient and willing to sacrifice more on every level, what with Wars Without End being the new paradigm. Oh, let's not forget the already-pared-to-the-bone VA budgets will be one further item on the chopping block as we struggle to pay for bloated pensions, still-larger wars, retiring boomers, hoardes of unemployed, increasing numbers of scammers and system-gamers, to say nothing of more ever-popular Bailouts 4 Bankers (tm) and Mega-recession II: double-dip boogaloo. So get working, Hollywood, throw everything you got at keepin' em' sedated. Whin reminds me, I'm late for my appointment with Big Pharma, who will also be assisting us in this matter..."

edit on 6/15/11 by silent thunder because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 08:12 PM
link   
what the hell?

really?

the left and hollywood go hand in hand and for decades time and time agian have pushed the political agenda

that paints the military and their supporters as pure evil murders and rapists and baby killers.

and now no no!

i am sick of the left who politicize this nations military the timing smells to gain support for americas 5 wars and possibly more.

this is exactly why i am partisan.
edit on 15-6-2011 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 08:47 PM
link   
Yes more movies and shows about military families. More stories of heartache, heartbreak, hardship. Children who don't remember their mother or father because they've been overseas for 2 years and comeback scarred mentally and sometimes physically. Or maybe they don't come back at all. Soldiers coming back to forclosures and divorces, no jobs available so they re-enlist and hate it. A movie about a war hero who comes back to find out he is on the no fly list or terrorist watch list.

They can make a movie about my brother. Who spent 2 years in Iraq. He was a computer engineer who owned a home and drove a lexus at the age of 24. Sold everything after 9/11 and enlisted. I was going to enlist a year later. My mother told him of my intentions and he called me from Iraq to talk me out of it. He came home to take a job as a valet (parking cars like the one he used to own) and now battles alcoholism. How about a movie like that?

I don't think that's what the FLOTUS has in mind. No movies like "Born on the 4th of July". "The War At Home" or "Dead Presidents". No, no, no, let's have movies that will make war seem "cool". So our kids will want to enlist. Then we will have more soldiers to invade more countries. Only countries with natural resources that the "fat cats" want to steal.

Or maybe I'm just reading too much into all this?
edit on 15-6-2011 by leemachino because: spelling error

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 10:02 PM
link   
I see nothing wrong with this.

There is nothing wrong to help bring attention to the hardships military families face...regardless of how we feel about the wars themselves or why we are there.

I'd tend to think that if I were in her shoes, I would do the same thing.

Any attention military families can get is a good thing...the corporate media has ignored them.
edit on 15-6-2011 by David9176 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 10:05 PM
link   
reply to post by leemachino

No, no, no, let's have movies that will make war seem "cool". So our kids will want to enlist.

Don't need movies....video games shelves are stocked full of "cool" war games of many different wars and scenarios and have been for years.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 10:28 PM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

In addition to some of the great points already made, I wonder what actually prompted the move in the first place.

If you felt responsible for sending soldiers to their deaths, regardless of the reasons,wouldn't you want some attention put on them and their families for sacrifices made?

Again, Michelle Obama has actually tried to help military families in the past. We don't always have to look for the negative. She's not the one calling the shots anyway....but probably feels it is her duty to bring more attention to them...not to promote war....but to bring awareness to what these families are dealing with.

Cripes.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 10:44 PM
link   
For those who are still not aware of the politically biased brainwashing in Hollywood, here is just another sign.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 10:47 PM
link   
reply to post by David9176

Dude don't be an apologist

According to CNN, a recent report states that one serviceman takes their own life every 36 hours.

www.dailymail.co.uk...

If he cared so much about the families he would have brought the troops back home as opposed to spreading the war into the entire middle east.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 11:11 PM
link   
This would explain Combat Hospital We saw a npreview for this new show on ABC last night and my husband remarked that they were remaking MASH. Unfortunately it looks like another drama. I'm sure it'll be a hit, making the average civilian feel like they support the military and understand what's going on over there. However, as an Iraq veteran who has been to a combat hospital, I don't like this show. I watched the preview and I feel they are going to glorify combat and with all dramas, stretch the truth and add things in that don't normally happen, such as an inappropriate affairs between the staff. After all, they need ratings.

To me, adding more veteran shows is peer propaganda, and it won't help veterans or their families at all. Well maybe a slight understanding at first, but then what? Will nothing change because average people need the entertainment?
We're not reality side shows.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 11:32 PM
link   
She really really doesnt want combat vets and their families being given a spotlight.... she gets the spotlight turned on us and she has turned a big ass spotlight on the truth of whats going on.... and exactly what folks think of this administration and the fiasco after 9/11 with baby Bush.
No, more than likely it will be more slick hollywood films and tv movies made from someones "interpretation" of the real experience and the truth of how you are garbage to be tossed and forgotten when you are of no more use.

She has done so much for mil families? Id love to know what.... because I dont care what some report or paper says.. its not true. Its worse now than it was a decade ago. More bodybags, more suicides, my husband had to weld scrap metal to the humvee to attempt to slow bullets/IEDs down when they penetrate the thing.. armor was not provided, he got shot with the very weapons we provided the civs to get their own country under control that they sold/traded to insurgents, vets with no prosthetics or such ill fitting ones they cant use them, homeless vets by the score, foreclosures, unaddressed medical issues and now, all of a sudden, they are tossing around the idea of cutting active duty mil pay?? Dont stop bombing Libya into a democracy, but cut pay of enlisted men and women! SO I dunno, maybe point me in the direction of what she has done thats been so great... it certainly hasnt been fighting for the end of these wars and soft occupations.

If you shoot a guy in the head but give him a bandaid, the action of giving him a bandaid is seen as appropriate or helpful? Not in the real world.
edit on 15-6-2011 by Advantage because: added a word!

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 09:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Advantage

exactly
their top priority is feel good movies?

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Posted on the other thread, same topic.

Merely just pandering to the Military member and families.
Just 2 faced, as anyone not living under a rock would know that the Obama's are anti-military, as 90% of their followers are.

new topics

top topics

join