It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Need a job? Georgia Farmers have 11,000 jobs unfilled.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by jude11
Criminals have everything paid for as it is. What about the people that don't?

Prisoners don't need the jobs to survive, honest taxpaying citizens do.

This would be another way for the privatized prisons to profit from the labor of the inmates. And where will this money go? Not in your pockets but to the corporations, again.

1) Put the able bodied people currently collecting welfare and not looking for employment to work. Or the free ride is cut off. Ease the drain on the system and many will be surprised at the sense of pride they find within themselves again.

2) Give the jobs to people that WANT to work. The ones that need to feed and shelter their kids, that are out looking for work.

edit on 15-6-2011 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

This was not saying to give the jobs to current inmates, but those out on probation, that are supposed to be looking for employment in the first place.

I have sent this story on to my contacts at the homeless shelters however. If these farmers will hire people "sight unseen" and guarantee that any of the homeless we send them will get one of these jobs, that will be a huge boon to many of the homeless we help each day. Many of the people we are helping here would gladly relocate and work on these farms, even for minimum wage.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Wow, there's a lot of ignorance in this thread...

First of all, we're not talking about prisoners here, we're talking about probationers. Big difference, these are not incarcerated offenders doing hard time for serious crimes. So let's not get all upset about Big Gubment handing employment to the scum of society, while watching honest, hard working tax paying citizens rot in the unemployment line.

Second, these honest, hard working tax paying citizens did, and still do, have "priority" here. It's just that they don't want to do this work.

And finally, Gainful Employment is a primary condition of probation, and is in fact a requisite at sentencing in most states.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 04:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Byeluvolk

Since it is in the south, I wonder how many of the farmers would be willing to let their workers set up a pop tent? I know a lot of older people that used to migrate picking, the farmer would either let them camp there, or even have a barn set up where they could stay free of charge. Some even fed them, is that kind of hospitality dead nowadays?

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Byeluvolk
I have sent this story on to my contacts at the homeless shelters however. If these farmers will hire people "sight unseen" and guarantee that any of the homeless we send them will get one of these jobs, that will be a huge boon to many of the homeless we help each day. Many of the people we are helping here would gladly relocate and work on these farms, even for minimum wage.

Excellent, nice work Byeluvolk.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 05:47 PM
link   
If my husband and I didn't have kids, we would probably consider relocating for work. In fact, we probably will when they are both out of high school. I have been so frustrated lately. I finally got hired at a convenience store that I had worked at as summer help in the past. I'm planning on staying with it until we catch up on bills and something better comes along. The thing that has made me so mad lately though is how hard it's been for me to find a decent paying job for a family person with a college education. However, in our small town, teenagers are landing really great jobs. One newly graduated teen who will be leaving for college in the fall landed a cushy job for the Dept. of Motor Vehicles. Another sophomore in high school got hired for a position at the local bank as a teller. I and probably a lot of other adults applied for that job. I don't know what gives, but when I was a teen if you applied for a job like those, you were basically told you needed to go to a fast food joint and apply to gain work experience. It's so frustrating to have worked hard and educated yourself only to be overlooked by employers who hire inexperienced kids instead. I'm guessing this is cheaper for them, but h@ll, I'm working for minimum now. I just wish I could find work that was easier on my aging body. Let these young kids stand on their feet for 8 hours and stock coolers. We paid our dues already, let them pay theirs. Most of them are spoiled beyond belief already.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 05:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

I mentioned the quote because it illustrated dollar figures re handouts to farmers.
googling showed the queen E is a major recipient as such in many countries...
Many investors bought land to leave it fallow for those handouts.
Small farmers are in the gun sites of the corporate debt cannons...

They are swat ( sorry wrong apartement troops) teaming raw milk producers and amish farmers for gods sake

Point being the whole situation is sqwoood

Like in India where farmers are drinking pesticide to get out of their debt obligations to Monsanto....
coming soon to a theater near you...(us)

Where I am in Canada the potatoe farmers are dropping like flys from cancer as are their whole famillies..
minimum wage was it worth that...?
NOPE not IMHO

as to political leanings
heh heh
I'd plant em all ( almost)
let RP win by default

I thing of human decent and Marg really described things well on this thread

BTW I took a gardening /maintainance job for minimum wage for the season
Because I like gardening..and fixing by the water in the sun..30 hot waitresses...

as opposed to what can be back breaking labour for those that aren't used to it..
I invested wisely over the years and have almost NO expenses
like rent and a car and insurance and gas
I can afford it...
other wise with those expenses
not

edit on 16-6-2011 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

edit on 16-6-2011 by Danbones because: for clarity

edit on 16-6-2011 by Danbones because: forgot why I did the first edit spelling haha an puncktuation

edit on 16-6-2011 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

edit on 16-6-2011 by Danbones because: thats it... to much sun today, thats the last edit on this post..

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 06:43 PM
link   
The problem is that the jobs are designed for illegal immigrants, so they have none of the provisions or safety requirements that are required for jobs where US citizens would work. It basically amounts to slave labor and most average Americans could not handle the conditions / hours / etc, and would probably start complaining about their rights which technically they wouldn't have in such an 'under the radar' type job.

If the jobs were designed to function legally, then (yes produce prices would be slightly higher) but they might actually be an alternative that average Americans might consider.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 08:29 PM
link   
reply to post by beansanmash

Thus the need to push for these jobs to be given to homeless or needy people. Force any farmers not paying a fair wage and providing the required work environment to step up and do so. I for one am more than willing to pay a few cents/pound more on produce to move these jobs back into the hands of Americans that need them. As I have stated if every citizen of the U.S. would just step up do even a very small part to aid the homeless and needy, there would be no more homeless or needy people. We can't expect or even want the government to fix this problem. It is too big for them to do so, it needs to come from every citizen of this country making a VERY small sacrifice and the problem is gone. A few cents per pound on produce is a very small price to pay to give 11,000 Americans a job.

I live my life by the tenet that if everybody will help even one needy person a week, there would be no more needy people. This help can be offering them a job that maybe others are unwilling to do, offer them even a single meal, or even a ride to someone broken down by the road. Granted there are many who are not willing to help themselves, and are just looking for a freebie, but if even one of the people you help this month was truly in need it is all worth it. This is not all about homeless people, although they are the most obvious. It extends to the person next to you at any time. If people would just extend their hand in friendship to everybody, many of the problems we face today would vanish. And no, I am not naive, I realize there are dangerous people mixed in with the harmless. This is why I do not say help EVERY person looking for a handout. But pick just one that you can help safely and do so each week. Over time you will find it is far easier than you thought, and you will never miss the few dollars or the few hours of your time that it took to help these people. And before the religion bashers jump in, no I am not religious in the slightest. I do not believe in God as portrayed by today's religions. I only believe that the basic principal of all of these religions is based in reality, "Help your fellow man."
edit on 16-6-2011 by Byeluvolk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 10:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by majesticgent

Originally posted by marg6043
Sad but truth, and as for the convicts this are not your regular felons but just small crooks that have to pay their Dues to the city and society, but with plenty of out of luck children to feed that are mostly fed by the state and tax payer, this group do not work, hangs out on malls and do stupid things like stealing from empty houses that has been on foreclosure as we have plenty in the area

The problem is that as soon they feel the heat of the sun they give up work.

My point exactly. They do not want to be out there working. I'd rather the jobs go to people who want, and are willing to work. Which brings up the problem you mentioned earlier.

If the farmers have to dole out higher wages, then guess what? The price of produce will rise at the grocery store (well at least for Georgians.)

For example: those of you that like Vidalia onions, if this keeps up, they'll be unaffordable by most.
edit on 16-6-2011 by majesticgent because: (no reason given)
the real problem is they dont pay enough to live as it is and if they paid you enough to live the cost would go up and then you would be in the same boat so I think the people sucking up the last of the free money are probably right altho i have never been with out a job thank god with the prices of everything going up that $9/h = about $3/h when i was younger the point is the monitary system is screwed because we let tards rape it and have their way with it

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 01:33 AM
link   
It may not be ideal work, however it is work. In Southeast Missouri many of the factories in this area are hiring. The money pays the bills and gives you a little extra if you do not try to live above your means.

The hours are normally 10-12 depending on the company and might be swing shift. Not ideal but it is work.

I cannot really comment on the OP, just letting those looking for jobs know they are out there if you need one.

Raist

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join