It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Need a job? Georgia Farmers have 11,000 jobs unfilled.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Becoming
I'm sorry, but working for around 5.50 an hour for 3 weeks doesn't compete with an unemployment check.

You made some valid points in your post, but what about those who are not eligible for unemployment, or their benefits have expired?

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 11:03 AM
link   
reply to post by majesticgent

That is why their seeds are so dangerous to other none GMO crops, because cross pollination they infects none GMO plants. That is where the sues come from.

But thankfully the state has done something about it, and GMO crops as far as I am concern has beens stooped in Ga.

And for the poster that said farming is just temporary, he is right the jobs are mostly during the summer but here in Ga is more work year around, that is why farmers depend so much on illegal workers and cheap labor.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 11:17 AM
link   
watch this video to the END of it. don't skip anything. this is the story of milton hershey and has some very important data in it. pay attention to what he says hershey did after his chocolate business became a success, and during the great depression, what decisions he made.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by majesticgent
reply to post by Night Star

Easier said than done because most of those illegal immigrants are doing jobs that legal citizens do not want to do. That's why there is a shortage of workers in the first place. And to exacerbate that problem, the people that hire for the unwanted positions feel as though they have to hire illegals and pay them less under the table to make their service/goods affordable enough to where people will buy from them.

While it is true that some are just greedy and want to maximize profit, but there are others that are really in a quandary because they cannot find anyone skilled enough to work for them that will accept minimum wage, and if they do manage to hire someone for minimum wage or higher, they will have to raise their prices to stay in business. If they raise their prices then no one will buy their goods or services.
edit on 16-6-2011 by majesticgent because: I really need to proofread before I post

When ICE deports thousands of illegals, those jobs are quickly taken by citizens. It has been proven over and over again. Illegals ARE NOT just taking the jobs that Americans won't do. They have infiltrated many areas in the workforce.

As for the so called jobs that Americans won't do, I am sure if one has no other options and wants food on the table, they will do those jobs. Food prices are rising despite the cheap labor. Having overwhelming numbers of illegals has negatively impacted our Country on many levels.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by dreams n chains

I use to work evening shift at a steel distribution office.

Got off work at twelve midnight and went shopping to pick up milk, bread, eggs for my kids.

Was followed around the store by three Mexican men.

Not meaning to sound racists, but up until I got older, I was really pretty and had a gorgeous body, 36C-24-34.

Have never dressed slutty, not frumpy but jeans with a nice feminine shirt usually.

Anyway, have always had a really big problem with black and hispanic men following me around and trying to force themselves on me.

That night, I went to the store manager and he was so nice, he actually walked me out to my car, looked around inside and under my car and saw me safely out of the parking lot.

Now, I do not live or worked in a big urban city. I was in a suburban area.

Again, I judge people on the basis of their individual personality, but again, I am glad I am now a old woman because black and hispanic men now leave me alone pretty much.

Also, my husband after that incident, now prefers to accompany me shopping.

I know a lot of really nice good black and hispanic people, but again, in my youth, I had major problems dealing with these two groups of men, maybe it is a cultural thing, hormonal, ????

I apologize if I offend anyone out there, I am only relaying my own experiences.

Really glad I'm old now so young men no longer pose a threat to me like they use to. I like blending into the woodwork, not standing out.

I have been happily married for going on 38 years this month and did not appreciate men making comments, gestures or openingly sexual advances, I found it offensive, degrading and scary.

My husband still thinks I'm "hot" so that's all that matters.

edit on 16-6-2011 by ofhumandescent because: grammar

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 11:35 AM
link   
reply to post by ofhumandescent

aww, well here's to you!

salute! *i'm over 50 too

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Night Star

NightStar, you know the score................very good posts!

It's all about the money and profit.

Large corporations have put the small farmer virtually out of business.

And large corporations while making sure their CEO's and top level "managers" make good bucks, want to ensure that the pions, you know, the people that do the real work make frap.

Again, large corporations are the biggest contributors to and actually place their puppets into office.

Our government is deeply entwined with big business and that is a bad combination because that means our government no longer works for the people....................simply read my location.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by undo

He, he, I have to join the club I will be over 50 in July, I am so self confident is not funny, and still hottttttttttttttt?

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by undo

Thank you............you made my day.

That was such a good video I downloaded it.

Yep, I love being older. I wouldn't go back to 20 if offered....................58 is good.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 11:45 AM
link   

i see it like a tennis match between both parties. these guys pass laws to help certain sectors of the economy and business world, and the other guys pass laws to make it incredibly hard to be in a small business or entrepreneurship. they do this via huge taxes, fees, regulations, licenses, and more codes than you can shake a stick at. so it's a double whammy. HOWEVER, that does not mean that we can't still attempt to succeed. been going on for thousands of years, no reason why it has to stop now!

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 11:53 AM
link   

i liked it too. they are so right. you've lived and learned, and now you can look over all the prior lessons and apply your knowledge and wisdom gained from a more informed position.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 11:57 AM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

well congrats! i didn't make it past the 50 mark with my youthful beauty intact. . hehe so count yourself blessed and keep up the good work you lucky duck.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 01:08 PM
link   
What they don't mention is that the reason the jobs are unfilled is because they are paying about 60% less than they should last time I checked.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by ofhumandescent
reply to post by dreams n chains

I use to work evening shift at a steel distribution office.

Got off work at twelve midnight and went shopping to pick up milk, bread, eggs for my kids.

Was followed around the store by three Mexican men.

Not meaning to sound racists, but up until I got older, I was really pretty and had a gorgeous body, 36C-24-34.

Have never dressed slutty, not frumpy but jeans with a nice feminine shirt usually.

Anyway, have always had a really big problem with black and hispanic men following me around and trying to force themselves on me.

That night, I went to the store manager and he was so nice, he actually walked me out to my car, looked around inside and under my car and saw me safely out of the parking lot.

Now, I do not live or worked in a big urban city. I was in a suburban area.

Again, I judge people on the basis of their individual personality, but again, I am glad I am now a old woman because black and hispanic men now leave me alone pretty much.

Also, my husband after that incident, now prefers to accompany me shopping.

I know a lot of really nice good black and hispanic people, but again, in my youth, I had major problems dealing with these two groups of men, maybe it is a cultural thing, hormonal, ????

I apologize if I offend anyone out there, I am only relaying my own experiences.

Really glad I'm old now so young men no longer pose a threat to me like they use to. I like blending into the woodwork, not standing out.

I have been happily married for going on 38 years this month and did not appreciate men making comments, gestures or openingly sexual advances, I found it offensive, degrading and scary.

My husband still thinks I'm "hot" so that's all that matters.

Hmmm.
I was walking home one night when I was in my late 20's and was followed by a White man in a car. It was providence that I happened by an alley and saw a piece of rebar. I picked it up and ambled a little bit further down the street.
Then I stopped turned around, stood very still and looked straight at him.
He sat there for a few seconds and took off down the boulevard. I knew the direction that he was going there was no place to him to turn around for at least a couple of miles.
My Mother had been followed by a White man whilst out walking her dog one morning - the area she walked the dog was directly behind the house and I literally flew out of the house and down to the area where she was and stood between her and his vehicle, arms crossed. I was 17 years old at the time.
Just as he was backing out my Mother turned around, unaware that this man had been following her. We went inside and called the police.
What point are you trying to make here? Oh, geez, I know!
BE AFRAID......BE VERY AFRAID. THEY WANT US.
Oh, please.
I thought the topic here was 11, 000 jobs in Georgia.
The post quality of ATS is really going downhill.
It gets old, all of these what seems like righteous posts being made but of course someone has to pop in and inject ad hominem BS that for all intents and purposes has NOTHING to do with the OP's post.
Please if you want to flamethrow go to Yahoo - they love crap like that.

Now about those 11, 000 farm jobs?....

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by BirdOfillOmen
reply to post by jude11

Thanks. I'm just so bored with being unemployed and having no money to do anything, haha

Go apply to Mcdonalds or any fast food place i'm sure they will hire you, or since you are so bored go cut grass or do yard work for money...

See the thing is most unemployed people just want jobs that they see fit, if they are really desperate for money they would go and seek out any type of work they can get, instead of just sitting at home on the internet...oh wait who is paying for their computer and internet service?

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Danbones

Where are those "wealthy" Farmers? So many have lost their farms to the banks where I'm from, huge tracts of land sit unused now. Potato Farmers are actually having to some years sell their product for less than their real costs.

But then people are gullible when Obama speaks it seems

What is more important than food I wonder? Anything?

In my youth between my mother and fathers families there were 12 farms and ranches (large families are normal). Now there is one left. One partial one I should say. Even that one had to sell off land to make it. They start with thousands or tens of thousands of acres and slowly sell it off to survive in hard times. Their kids could not continue to live in poverty and work like slaves for nothing. It's the distributors that cause the high prices. When it leaves the farms it costs pennies on the dollar of what it is on the shelves. Those in the middle take all the money.

The large so called corporate farms are mostly small farmers that contract their crops to them at a fixed rate. The companies don't actually do the farming in many cases. The lucky farmers in Idaho are those who have contracts with companies like fast food where their crops are sold before they are planted.

Strangely the hobby farmers with small amounts of land, 80 to maybe 400 acres or so seem to do well on the side. They do it to supplement their real jobs and keep the land. Those with thousands of acres are not doing well at all. One bad year weatherwise, the bank takes it all. Not the banks fault though as they make the loan in good faith. Dry farmers fare a little better as they only need a good crop every two or three years.

They did the best when we were feeding the Soviet Union. When that ended it really destroyed the Dry Farms in particular.

The ranches went first. No money in Cattle. Break even is about the best they can do. With feed prices through the roof now, the Cattle are gone and even the Horses are being sold off. I have a freind who has about 40,000 acres. He and his Son take care of the entire operation. He had to get rid of his cattle and the grazing land sits unused other than a couple of dozen to sell locally. Thanks to a huge outlay on giant tractors he and his son can handle the dry farm. The loss of the Soviet market almost took him down back when that happened. He lives in near poverty, but he is happy.

Not directed at you Danbones, just the topic in general.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Say what you will about Wal-Mart but when i got laid off of my IT job, they hired me as a Cashier knowing that I was way overqualified (some places won't hire you if they see you are overqualified). It was enough money to get me through the rough times..no extras, but at that point I didn't care.
My primary focus was food in my (and my Cats) mouths, a roof over our heads and clothes on my back. Once that was dealt with, I could concentrate on doing better.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 02:20 PM
link   
I reside in a rural area in Minnesota..we have a lot of Farmers where I am at and none of them look wealthy.
From what I see it can be a hardscrabble life

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by PaganArchangel

Yes you are right, it's a very hard life.

I've had many experiences in my 58 years of life.

My happiest were on a small farm, working the land and with our "animals".

Now, while I began living on a farm due to being orphaned at 9, I was abused in several ways by various family members, but found that working with the animals and the earth soul fulfilling, healing.

I went to bed each night bone tired, don't even remember hitting the pillow. And never stirred till dawn.

Also, unlike a human, if an animal is displeased with you, they let you know it. They don't smile and say nice things to your face and stab you in the back. There is no emotional stress or worry working with animals (for me anyway).

You don't have to dress up fancy to "impress" them, cows, sheep, chickens don't care how you look as long as you feed, water and clean out their barns.........and they are grateful for that, they do appreciate a kind word, a scratch behind the ears, being fed and fresh water.

I always got double the milk from "my girls" because I would talk to them and tell them how beautiful they were and thank them for their delicious milk............yes sounds crazy but I always got double the milk.

I've worked offices for 20+ years, fancy clothes (to impress), high heels that hurt your feet (how stupid is that?), manicured nails, lunch and dinner at some of the finest restaurants, the whole works.

After 'work' though I found myself sitting up, not bone tired but emotionally exhausted from all the "in fighting", trying to figure out your co workers next "game plan".

I hated in order to "progress" I not only had to know my job well, but also had to be able to out manuver and handle everyone around you........... games I think they call it.

Now while the song below refers to a one on one relation, I'm extending it out to include many of the people I met and interacted with on a day to day basis at my "office job", for me this song signifies my 20+ years living the "Corporate American" Dream.

I still have barbed wire scars on my arms and hands, they never go away (from mending fences).

But, there were no head games, only bone tired labor, connecting with the earth and her inhabitants. I felt connected, I felt good and non stressed.

If I had a choice and I was independently wealthy, personally I would chose the country life..........no NY Penthouse Apartment for me.

Give me rolling hills, a barn, eight cows, chickens, sheep, a tractor, anyday.

When I went to live on the farm with my older sister and her husband, I had just suffered the loss of my beloved mother who died when I was 9, she was 53................those were rough times in many ways for me.

BUT

The earth, digging, planting, watering, harvesting, touching and caring for the animals healed me........maintained my sanity.

They were the best of times in my life.

You wonder why so many people now are stark raving mad?

Read "Earthing" by Clinton Ober, Stephen T. Sinatra and Martin Zucker.

Why do so many people have trouble falling and staying asleep? (Some guy has a post and needs help on ATS with this so somebody point him to this reply).

Well, work on a farm, touch the earth, pet and milk a cow, clean out a barn, shear a sheep............I guarantee you, you will be able to eat twice what you do now sitting at a computer all day.

Your head will be clearer, less emotionally stressed and while you will fall into bed tired down to your very bones, you will sleep like you have never slept before.

We no longer live the way we were meant to.................we are no longer connected to our Mother Earth.

Sadly again, most farms are not really farms like I grew up on.

On our farm the cows all had names, we did not brand or tag them...........they eventually did go to slaughter when the farm was sold but I was not told.

We had a working farm where we had milk, butter, cheese, eggs and Grandpa "did" the chickens, which I never was involved in.

My only short coming, I could never kill a animal because they are innocent, sweet beings I made friends with.

Yes I eat wild salmon, cheese, egg beaters and some, very little chicken...............no pork, sheep, cow or other "animals".

In short, I liked farm life, real farm life, not factory farming as it is done now.

Our tomatoes, corn, beans, zucchini, squash, lettece, eggs, chickens, rabbits
tasted totally different than what you get in the store now...........totally different.

Thank you Monsanto.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 04:19 PM
link   
So proud of my state. We dont &%$# around. I actively campaigned for Nathan Deal for this very reason, now I have actually seen Georgians working the field instead of foreign entities.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join