It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WA State To Start Charging Sales Tax On Recreational Sports

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Good day....

I was listening in on some local talk radio today as I was en-route to gather materials for work and I heard talk of a new tax to be imposed on the people of Washington State.

Does your office play in a kickball or softball league? Did you pay sales tax on your registration fee? The state says it's going to start collecting retail sales taxes on your favorite sporting activities. The Department of Revenue released an advisory Tuesday reminding you of the rules for what leagues and events are covered. Basketball leagues, baseball leagues, and soccer leagues are all covered, and are all subject to sales tax. As are running events, cycling events and even golf and tennis tournaments.

Link to article...

The Washington State Deptartment of Revenue has stated it as follows:

Generally, a retail sale is the sale of tangible personal property. It is also the sale of services such as installation, repair, cleaning, altering, improving, construction, and decorating. Other services include improving real or personal property, amusement and recreational activities, lawn maintenance, and physical fitness activities.

Link here..

Here also, is a link to the Department of Revenues "new" Draft Excise Tax Advisory in PDF format.

Now, as most of us Washingtonians are aware, our state is (like many others) in far greater DEBT than anytime in our history, totaling almost $72.2 Billion as of today.

With over 350,000 (accounted for because they collect unemployment and/or welfare benefits) out of work and 1 out of every six homes drawing food assistance, do we really feel like now is the time to start taxing people for living a healthy lifestyle?

As a small business owner, I too am required to charge a sales tax due to the fact that I provide services to my clients. There is also a B&O tax that is to be paid quarterly. But this is because I run a for profit business and provide a service. I can speak for the rest of us small business owners in Washington State when I say that operating in this state is extremely rough when it comes to our quarterly filings.

As far as recreational sports are concerned. Most all recreational sporting activities, be it Soccer, Basketball, Softball, LaCross, Roller Derby and many more are operated with the soul purpose of fellowship and athleticism, and are not for profit.

Every time I have rostered a team in an adult league, the joining costs include Jerseys, insurance and field rental which, because they are RETAIL services DO include a sales tax. All players are usually asked to provide any other necessary gear to partake in said activities. That gear ALSO includes a sales tax unless you buy second hand or something, but believe me... when I purchase a cup, I prefer a new one.

All in all this now imposed tax will lead to double taxation on not only uniforms, field rental, insurance etc. And in my opinion is just another example of the citizens of this country having yet again to pay for our "elected" officials mishandling of OUR money.

It is a farce that they can fork out the cash to put decorative sound panels with grape vines and fish along our congested highways to spruce them up for the average commuter sitting in traffic to view while they are at a standstill. Yet they cut from our children's education, including College tuition increases of over 14% and the list is big!

I have a feeling that most of these cuts are a result of the Two-thirds majority vote to pass a new tax law that was voted in during the last election. Link here

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Way to fight obesity Washington.

Idiot lawmakers....if you want to restrict activity (literally) TAX IT!

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 05:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Carseller4

The crap part is that the Revenue Dept. had this loophole in place 20 years ago.

I don't know anyone who can read through all of the tax laws these days, as they are updated by the thousands annually.

I even know some Tax Attorneys that admit to struggling in keeping up with the tax laws. And ALL of them state that there is a loophole for everything.

Makes one wonder...

join