It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

War Powers Act Does Not Apply to Libya, Obama Argues

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Scoriada
1. is our presence in Libya ok with you?
Yes.

2. When you voted for Obama did you ever imagine he would behave like GWB when it came to military aggression?
I didn’t vote in 2008. Concerning whether I imagined Obama would behave like George W. Bush, on some issues, yes, on others he has fallen short of my expectations.

3. Do you agree with Obama that shooting missiles from drones does not a "war" make?
That’s not the argument the White House is making. The argument is, and this is from your source, “that the activities of United States military forces in Libya do not amount to full-blown ‘hostilities’ at the level necessary to involve the section of the War Powers Resolution that imposes the deadline.

Xcathdra already touched upon some constitutional problems of the War Powers Resolution, and to add my justification why Obama can legitimately continue the operation in Libya, I have argued that the use of military force pursuant to a UN Security Council resolution authorizing it does not constitute war in the constitutional sense of Article I Section 8.

For those taking the position that the Commander in Chief can only order troops to attack a target with Congress’ consent, I ask you if he must get Congress’ consent or authorization to order troops to attack enemy forces invading the United States. If your answer is no, please point me to where in the Constitution that exception is.

new topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join