It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

10 Bipartisan Congressmen Sue Obama over Strikes in Libya, Obama Responds And Says "Libya Doesn't

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 03:10 PM
link   

A bipartisan group of 10 lawmakers is suing President Barack Obama for taking military action against Libya without war authorization from Congress.

The lawmakers say Obama violated the Constitution in bypassing Congress and using international organizations like the United Nations and the North Atlantic Treaty Organization to authorize military force.

cnsnews.com...

A Good move by a few good men!
White House responds

War Powers Act Does Not Apply to Libya, Obama Argues

But the White House argued that the activities of United States military forces in Libya do not amount to full-blown “hostilities” at the level necessary to involve the section of the War Powers Resolution that imposes the deadline.

“We are acting lawfully,” said Harold Koh, the State Department legal adviser

They argued that United States forces are at little risk in the operation because there are no American troops on the ground and Libyan forces are unable to exchange meaningful fire with American forces. They said that there was little risk of the military mission escalating, because it is constrained by the United Nations Security Counsel resolution that authorized use of air power to defend civilians.

www.nytimes.com...

That's a pretty weak argument and basically means that it's okay to go to war for almost no reason whatsoever

This is very much an administration that is publicly advocating dictatorial powers

If this flies with impunity then what is the next thing that will fly?
Isn't that an important question?
edit on 15-6-2011 by ModernAcademia because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 03:12 PM
link   
where is the story?

Thanks......Good Find......
edit on 15-6-2011 by Caji316 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Cool story, bro.
edit on 15-6-2011 by Swizzy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Lol, I put the subject line, wanted to press 'tab' to go to the body field but pressed "enter" by mistake
surprising no text in body still allowed a thread post

in any case there it is now
my apologies

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 03:23 PM
link   
I gotta admit, I hate Dennis Kucinich but he is firm in his beliefs, most Democrats give Obama a pass on doing the same things GWB got crucified for. But Dennis is consistent, I'll give him that.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 03:25 PM
link   
You should have added this to the same post directly below this one.

Need to search before posting.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Of course its lawful. Good ole Amerika makes up their own laws. Btw its the LAW these days to be oppressed and abused by Amerika.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 03:39 PM
link   
They didn't call it 'war' - which it is, they called it 'air cover' to circumvent the legalities.

It's as bad as Bush/Blair and Iraq. Obama/Cameron et all are war criminals just the same, imo.
edit on 15-6-2011 by wcitizen because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 05:47 PM
link   
It's a one party system right now that we have
it's that simple

new topics

top topics

join