It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Richard Clarke: China is Planting Digital Bombs Throughout the U.S. Power Grid

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Former Cybersecurity Czar: China is Planting Digital Bombs Throughout the U.S. Power Grid

www.popsci.com

The cyber-security cat is slowly slinking out of the bag, it seems. It’s been a big month in cybersecurity news, ranging from some high-profile hacks at companies like Lockheed (home to sensitive American defense technologies) and a declaration from the Pentagon that cyber attacks perpetrated by foreign governments can be considered acts of war and dealt with accordingly. Now we’re hearing more war metaphors and cautionary talk from Richard Clarke in this morning’s Wall Street Journal, where he argues that China-backed hackers are systematically attacking America and meeting no resistanc
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 15-6-2011 by joyride0187 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Does anybody else find it odd we embargo Cuba which offers little to no threat to us, yet we open China with open arms while they spy on us, steal our companies trade secrets, manipulate their currency, cyber attack us, and are actively ramping up military spending at the same time?

Because we only see dollar signs we don't realize the real threat of a flush with cash, militarized china that still has a dictatorial communist in name only cabal in charge.

www.popsci.com

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 03:12 PM
link   
If these companies were not complicit in the murder of innocent people im sure they would be left alone.
They are guilty of crimes against humanity....the war machine (USA) is thinking of any excuse to find another country to invade....its pretty disgusting that the people stand by and do nothing!

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by joyride0187

I can hear the drum rolls for the coming internet security. I believe we have all been expecting them to come out with some type of BS to legalize more police state and name the general population cyber-war terrorists. Anyone knows if they were truly convinced of any of this they wouldn't be allowing the Chinese in the country in the numbers they do and would have stopped them from obtaining 50 square miles of Idaho to build and enclosed town. The Chinese are the least of their worries. The general population is their concern we might actually find out what is happeing and spread the word.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by loves a conspiricy
If these companies were not complicit in the murder of innocent people im sure they would be left alone.
They are guilty of crimes against humanity....the war machine (USA) is thinking of any excuse to find another country to invade....its pretty disgusting that the people stand by and do nothing!

Sorry, but how is a grid operator "complicit in the murder of innocent people"? Do tell.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by joyride0187

I assume the military has also created a counter-attack strategy. A counter cyber-attack could be more effective than a military strike. Of course, that means we would need a new kind of general. Maybe the CIA is working on that.

Why do we tolerate cyber attacks from China? We should recruit some of the best hackers we have for a counter attack.

www.popsci.com

Our government has been making deals with hackers since the first PC was sold.

This is the way the USA has worked to get the best hackers, theives, and all other criminal types; work for us or go to prison.

I first learned of this government action in 1964 when many of my firends in low places were arrested for serious crimes and were given the choice of the US Army or prison in a cell with big, hardened criminals.

Not much choice there.
I would choose the Army unless I was arrested for political crimes then I would proudly do my time.

It's called survival.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Clark is dead nutz on this one. If a state was placing C4 on power transformers and high tension towers it would be an act of way. Cyberwarfare on critical infrastructure is no different. US nuclear policy is that any use of nuclear chemical or biological weapons will be responded with nukes. We should add acts of sabotage on critical infrastructure to that list as well.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by SirMike

Sorry, but how is a grid operator "complicit in the murder of innocent people"? Do tell.

Dude....read all of my post again....and read the OP's post.

Lockheed Martin..........hmmmm what do they make???? They sell death...what an honorable business!!!

link   
Why would any part of the power grid be hooked up to the internet in the first place. It should be on its own closed network. Any system in the building with internet access should not be able to access the closed network.

Looks like the power companies are looking for more freebies from the government.

link   
reply to post by loves a conspiricy

ya have you considered this, Americas military thus far hasn't been stopped....
And you expect us the citizens to stop them?
Question, just exactly how can I stop a military, not.meaning me alone, every citizens working together could never stop this war machine the American government owns. They would ahot us down without even inching a sign of care. Europe is lucky my In the fact you can protest In mass turnouts. Us Americans know the man won't let us.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 03:27 PM
link   
The problem here in America is so-called freedom comes with a hidden price, our freedoms

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by lbndhr
reply to post by loves a conspiricy

ya have you considered this, Americas military thus far hasn't been stopped....
And you expect us the citizens to stop them?
Question, just exactly how can I stop a military, not.meaning me alone, every citizens working together could never stop this war machine the American government owns. They would ahot us down without even inching a sign of care. Europe is lucky my In the fact you can protest In mass turnouts. Us Americans know the man won't let us.

Heres a novel idea.....stop paying taxes that fund this

Without YOUR money they cant invade weaker countries.

The people far out number the state, the state is an insignificant dot compared to the power the people hold.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 03:37 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by SirMike
[mor
when America s feel threatened in any manner, my child is in danger, the enemy hurt or killed a family or friend, loss of water or electricity many other reasons, we react, only when things get real bad, we snap. What would happen is mass panic and riots, many deaths from police and military trying to stop us. That is how

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by SirMike

Dude....read all of my post again....and read the OP's post.

Lockheed Martin..........hmmmm what do they make???? They sell death...what an honorable business!!!

Done and done .... now tell us, once again, how is a grid operator "complicit in the murder of innocent people"? This ought to be good for a larf.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by joyride0187

This is such a big issue! And we know it is because it's only mentioned briefly in hushed tones on a national level. Maybe we Need anonymous to go after china
in all seriousness, they do need to figure out what to do with our supposed laggin IT abilities.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 05:18 PM
link   
www.spiegel.de...

Translated: China is driving an extremely sensitive project abroad: The People's Republic in the U.S. state of Idaho wants to pull an entire industrial city, as large as Amsterdam. Critics rail against the 'beachhead on American soil' - they fear an invasion without armor....

But soon likely to make the city between Seattle and Salt Lake City thick headlines. Because Boise (pronounced Boisiere) stands before a controversial career as China's beachhead in America. The Chinese state-owned China National Machinery Industry Corporation., Do Sino short, wants to build near the airport, a giant industrial park Province

I was using mozilla's add on, I'mTranslater4.2

www.idahostatesman.com...

Wonder what's planned?

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Does anybody else find it odd we embargo Cuba which offers little to no threat to us, yet we open China with open arms while they spy on us, steal our companies trade secrets, manipulate their currency, cyber attack us, and are actively ramping up military spending at the same time?

Yup, and it's absolutely ridiculous. I never understood this stance against Cuba and the complete contradiction in supporting countries like China while leaving in place the sanctions against Cuba which date back to the 1960's for crying out loud. Cuba is about as much of a threat to the United States as Uganda is. It's all about the all mighty dollar and it's very very sad as I've been to Cuba multiple times on Vacation and they are a great bunch of people.
edit on 15-6-2011 by Jocko Flocko because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 05:40 PM
link   
smells like fear mongering. I wonder if they'll ask for money to set up a super duper firewall now ?

this is odd tho. why would the landlord sabotage the tenants ?

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by syrinx high priest
smells like fear mongering. I wonder if they'll ask for money to set up a super duper firewall now ?

this is odd tho. why would the landlord sabotage the tenants ?

Maybe its a precaution in case we default on our debt. Kinda like how Onstar can disable your car if you stop making payments to the bank.

top topics

join