It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

History channel is the biggest disinfo tool ever

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Every special I watch on there has facts I can verify as false. They spend more time talking about UFO's than anything else, using false information if you talk to people who were in those same places. The entire thing is the biggest hoax bigger than anything anyone else has ever made up.

They work "gods" into every show. Even civil war shows, which is about the closest subject to history they ever do.

Why do they want the generation who is being educated by cable TV to believe in Aliens?

If they are still covering up the civil war, then WTF happened during the civil war?

There is going to be a whole generation that gows up to believe in aliens and wants to join the illuminati because of that channel.

And WTF are they still hiding about the civil war
edit on 15-6-2011 by siren8 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 02:21 PM
link   
I RARELY ever catch anything on THC that's even relevant to historical education.

This is part of why I don't watch television.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 02:23 PM
link   
History channel may be the biggest disinfo tool.. after public school education

Most of the junk on history channel is just that : JUNK.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Have you noticed History, National Geographic and Discovery channels are all going Alien crazy at the moment. Every day there's something different about aliens on, they even had a Alien Invasion special on the other day.

edit on 15-6-2011 by MrHappyman989 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by siren8

Remember, History is owned by Disney.

I wholeheartedly agree with the OP.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by siren8

They work "gods" into every show. Even civil war shows, which is about the closest subject to history they ever do.

Yes, their programming does seem to be 'out there' lately, but consider the channels abbreviation:

THC

That should put some things in perspective...

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Actually very little programming on History channel is about aliens and a simple look at your tv guide will prove that too you. The shows they do present that are historically based I find fairly accurate so unless you have specific examples I believe you are incorrect in this regards.

History channel also has never claimed to be putting forth educational programming so by stating that they are teaching kids wrong things as no relevance. Kids may learn things from big budget movies also that are not accurate but they are for entertainment purposes and not for teaching.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Anyone who paid attention in middle school doesnt learn from the history channel. All in all, there are more facts in the commercials than the programming

The History Channel is really just the Hitler Clip Show. Seriously, how many shows can you make about that guy?

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 03:07 PM
link   
I'm taking history now in college and am fairly far into my degree and why people keep saying that the History channel is inaccurate just doesn't make sense.

I've seen very few shows that are factually incorrect and I usually have this channel on all day when i'm at home. Also if you read the credits for their programs you will notice that they have quite a list of historians and historical works they use for reference when creating these shows so they definetly do research.

The only times they really do what could be considered a mistake is when there is a historical event that there is not quantified proof of and they need to make educated guesses.

If somebody has examples of blatent historical facts they've gotten wrong i'm all ears.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by kro32

I'd have to agree with you.

Yes there are some shows, like ancient aliens, that bend the truth or flat out tell some lies, but there are also many, many specials that are pretty darn accurate.

If someone has an example of THC not being accurate, other than ancient aliens, I too would love to hear it.

BTW, pot heads love the history channel, so that might be why their programming is getting kind of "out there"

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 08:43 PM
link   
reply to post by doctornamtab

I would highly recommend that before you start screaming about inaccuracies on the History channel, you take the time to ...ahem...'read' historical books (speeches, letters, etc.) more often, and pay less attention to the "readers digest" condensed version American history textbooks you find in middle and high schools.

Specifically check out a great read called "Lies my Teacher told me" by James W. Loewen.

James Loewen spent two years at the Smithsonian Institution surveying twelve leading high school textbooks of American History. What he found was an embarrassing amalgam of bland optimism, blind patriotism, and misinformation pure and simple..."

It goes on to explain that in the pursuit of "political correctness" text book publishers tend to whitewash issues, and build heroes without equal time paid to those same "hero's" flaws.

"What passes for identity in America is a series of myths about one's heroic ancestors." -James Baldwin

"By idolizing those whom we honor, we do a disservice both to them and to ourselves...We fail to recognize that we could do likewise." - Charles V. Willie

All [written or otherwise] work is trying to convince you of something. Textbooks are certainly no exception, rather the most stunning examples. The History channel is no exception either, but try to open your mind and realize what "primary school indoctrination" is all about.

Heres a great quote from W.E.B. DuBois addressing this subject:

One is astonished in the study of history at the recurrence of the idea that evil must be forgotten, distorted, skimmed over. We must not remember that Daniel Webster got drunk but only remember that he was a splendid constitutional lawyer. We must forget that George Washington was a slave owner...and simply remember the things that we regard as credible and inspiring. The difficulty, of course, with this philosophy is that history loses its value as an incentive and example; It paints perfect men and nobel intentions, but it does not tell the truth."

edit on 15/6/2011 by Lono1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by kro32
I'm taking history now in college and am fairly far into my degree and why people keep saying that the History channel is inaccurate just doesn't make sense.

I've seen very few shows that are factually incorrect and I usually have this channel on all day when i'm at home. Also if you read the credits for their programs you will notice that they have quite a list of historians and historical works they use for reference when creating these shows so they definetly do research.

The only times they really do what could be considered a mistake is when there is a historical event that there is not quantified proof of and they need to make educated guesses.

If somebody has examples of blatent historical facts they've gotten wrong i'm all ears.

Precisely my point. Star for you...

top topics

join