It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TA-THREATS: Militants kidnap Iranian diplomat in Iraq

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2004 @ 08:15 AM
link   
In an interesting new turn of events in Iraq a militant group calling themselves The Islamic Army in Iraq have taken an Iranian diplomat hostage.
According to a video ,aired on the Arab-language Al-Arabiya television station, the group in Iraq said this Sunday they had taken Fereidoun Jahani, an Iranian embassy official hostage as a warning against Iranian interference in Iraq.State television in Tehran have confirmed that an Iranian diplomat has been kidnapped in Iraq.

Militants Abduct Iranian Diplomat in Iraq

A video tape from a group calling itself The Islamic Army in Iraq -- which was reported to have killed two Pakistani hostages last month -- showed a passport and business card which identified the hostage as Fereidoun Jahani, an Iranian embassy official in the Shi'ite Muslim holy city of Kerbala.

"The group also warned Iran against flagrant interference in the affairs of Iraq," the television added. It did not mention any threats against the hostage or demands by the group

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The interesting point about this development is that it indicates that militancy in Iraq is far from unified soley against the coalition forces and the Iraqi interim government and that this particular group appear to be a militant wing of the Sunni Islamists worried about increasing influence of their Shi'ite neighbours and the majority Shi'ites in Iraq.

[edit on 8-8-2004 by John bull 1]

[edit on 8-9-2004 by Valhall]

posted on Aug, 8 2004 @ 10:12 AM
link   
Iran confirms diplomat kidnapped

August 9

A group calling itself the Islamic Army in Iraq announced earlier it had "detained" Jahani for "stirring sectarian strife and for activities outside his diplomatic duties", Dubai-based Al-Arabiya television reported.

Pictures were shown of the diplomat's passport, identity and business cards along with what appeared to be footage of him speaking, without sound, against a black backdrop.

news.com.au...

Could this be a new tactic by insurgents, to create even more confusion?
Sanc'.

posted on Aug, 8 2004 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by sanctum

Could this be a new tactic by insurgents, to create even more confusion?
Sanc'.

I explained the facts as Al-Sadr rebelled against the Iraniangovernment and started the fight against the NATO occupation.

If NATO captures Al-Sadr then expect Iran's agents to be behind that.

Iran's government is the most important "secret" weapon of NATO

People here should understand that Iran's government is the most important "secret" weapon of the coalition.

Just take the two key points from the two key areas :
- political : Iran is behind Sistani, the shiite ayatollah that is advising the chiites to remain calm
- economic : Iran has provided the Schat-Al-Arab (now the only functioning way) to export the Iraqi oil

posted on Aug, 8 2004 @ 10:40 AM
link   
MattMariott, your viewpoint is an interesting one, and if you previously posted a more detailed explanation, would you kindly point me towards it? I'd like to know more, and it doesn't seem a logical framework based on what I know. It seems to me that NATO would not be happy to see Iran develop its nuclear weapons capability, and at least one NATO country, Canada, is very displeased with Iran over the murder and ensuing coverup, of one of its citizens (Kazemi).

Actually, the first thought that occurred to me was that the kidnapping might have been engineered by the coalition/Iraq govt., partly to show there are loyal militants as well as anti-coalition, and also to intimidate the Iranians who have been interfering in the situation.

posted on Aug, 8 2004 @ 10:42 AM
link   
MattMarriott, point taken.
No need to shout.

Sanc'.

posted on Aug, 15 2004 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Kidnappers holding Fereidoun Jahani, an Iranian diplomat in Iraq will "punish" him within 48 hours if Iran does not release 500 prisoners captured in its 1980-1988 war with Iraq, Iranian state television reported Sunday.

Foreign Ministry spokesman Hamid-Reza Asefi said on Sunday that the Iraqi interim government is responsible for the life of Iranian diplomat.

Asefi denied Iran still held any prisoners of war, saying the last had been sent home more than a year ago.

Teheran times

[edit on 15-8-2004 by Riwka]

top topics

join