It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DIY Weapons of the Libyan Rebels

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Heres a nice little set of pictures of some of the reclaimed and improvised weapons currently being used by the rebel forces in Libya

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/811a48341906.jpg[/atsimg]

Reusing old rusted munitions and cannibalizing captured tanks seems to be the order of the day.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/cb16aa50ab58.jpg[/atsimg]

Then of course there is the ever popular Toyota Hilux, Is there anything you can't do with one of those trucks?

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/22c88e78c8bd.jpg[/atsimg]
More Pics

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 01:45 PM
link   
reply to post by davespanners

Then of course there is the ever popular Toyota Hilux, Is there anything you can't do with one of those trucks?

Nope pretty much anything. I'm guessing McGuyver is in deep undercover.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 01:52 PM
link   
There was an interesting write-up in the New York Times the other day about the value of small arms in Libya since the outbreak of hostilities.

This spring in eastern Libya, the prices for Kalashnikovs and FN FAL rifles crested at top-dollar war prices – as much as $2,500 for a rifle in good condition. Even heavily used specimens fetched more than $1,500 each, said Alaadin Alsharkasy, one of the organizers of rebel weapon purchases in Benghazi, the rebel capital.

Article

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 01:53 PM
link   
This is what people would resort to in America if they take our guns.

You do not need to look very far to see what the result would be if we did not have our guns to defend ourselves. Human ingenuity is second to none.

edit on 15-6-2011 by Skewed because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 01:03 AM
link   

This pic is amazing, such a custom weapon. War never changes, the Libyan rebels look quite capable of warfare.

Thanks for sharing.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 11:50 PM
link   

one of my favorites that's what a rebel is all about peace through the end of a grenade launcher mounted to his daily driver.

edit on 6/16/2011 by -W1LL because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 09:51 AM
link   
WTF is that in the first picture in the OP? Looks almost like a cannon from a jet or something. Odd.

That tank turret mounted on a truck is priceless... I'm surprised that thing stayed attached after firing, the support structure on it looks pretty flimsy to say the least heh.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by James1982
WTF is that in the first picture in the OP? Looks almost like a cannon from a jet or something. Odd.

That tank turret mounted on a truck is priceless... I'm surprised that thing stayed attached after firing, the support structure on it looks pretty flimsy to say the least heh.

check out the source link it has a bunch of pics and descriptions.

that jet looking thing is a Russian made multiple rocket launcher

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 10:28 AM
link   
reply to post by -W1LL

Quit making me look foolish

Did anyone else catch that FN2000 on there? I'm pretty impressed with Gaddafi's choice of arms.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by James1982
reply to post by -W1LL

Quit making me look foolish

Did anyone else catch that FN2000 on there? I'm pretty impressed with Gaddafi's choice of arms.

LOL im not making you look foolish . I'm pretending to be smart

I did see that Fn2000 very nice.
I think it was just to look cool for his private army damn thing didn't have a scratch on it.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 09:41 PM
link   
reply to post by -W1LL

The multiple launcher was designed to be attatched to helicopters. That just makes it all the more interesting.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 07:22 AM
link   
I have to say the FN2000 (Number 25 on the pictures) was one that surprised me most I thought that they were running around there with AK's and RPG's but to actually see that weapon in tip top shape is just a shocker if they captured that wander what else they could capture from them?

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 04:12 AM
link   

nukes?

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Necessity is the mother of all invention they say..
The kids RC truck with a MG mounted on it was quite impressive.
I saw that on sky news along with some of the stuff in the OP.

Amazing what you can make nowadays with a few old bits of just and some open source target detection code!

And the toyota hilux,what a vehicle-its turning into the AK 47 of insurgent vehicles,and rightly so-those things can take serious punishment and keep on rolling.
Used to work in one to haul wood outta a forest,tried to work it to death over years,never managed it though.

new topics

top topics

join