It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Iraq Instates Death Penalty

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2004 @ 08:12 AM
link   
Now in Iraq if you are caught murdering, kidnapping, or using/dealing in illegal drugs you might be executed. Despite pressure from the EU, Iraq has reinstated the death penalty that has been suspended since Saddam's removal from office. During Saddam's reign the death penalty was used liberally but the new government's intention is that it is only used when it needs to be.

www.reuters.com
BAGHDAD (Reuters) - Iraq's interim government reinstated the death penalty Sunday for a range of crimes including murder, kidnapping and drug offences, officials said.

Capital punishment was suspended after the toppling of Saddam Hussein in April last year. Officials, speaking at a news conference, said the death penalty would go into effect once it had been published in a government gazette.

"This has to do with the security situation in Iraq," Minister of State Adnan al-Janabi said, speaking a day after the government announced an amnesty for insurgents who have committed minor crimes.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

As crime continues to run rampant in the fledgling nation, officials are looking for deterrents against crimes. Many hope that through the threat of the death penalty, major crimes will stop happening. The death penalty will take effect as soon as it is published in a government gazette.

[edit on 8-8-2004 by John bull 1]

posted on Aug, 8 2004 @ 08:54 AM
link   
New democratic Iraq is off to a good start.
First no 'bad' news allowed, now the death penalty for drug offences.

I thought Iraq was already using the death penalty anyway - be in the wrong place at the wrong time and get bombed/shot.

The new Iraq and the old Iraq are more alike each day.

[edit on 8-8-2004 by shanti23]

posted on Aug, 8 2004 @ 09:11 AM
link   
Way to win the hearts and minds!

posted on Aug, 8 2004 @ 09:13 AM
link   
President Bush would be proud :-)

posted on Aug, 8 2004 @ 09:17 AM
link   
Good one Lockheed! He is a Texan afterall. What gives anyone the right to kill anyone else? An unaswerable question I suppose. Don't believe in that one myself, only in cases of personal preservation I guess. What happened to do unto others as you would have them do to you. It is more like do it to them before they have a chance to do it to you.

posted on Aug, 8 2004 @ 09:45 AM
link   
It has been long planned:

Al Jazeera reported on Monday 12 July 2004:

Interim Iraqi President Ghazi al-Yawir insists the country will soon reinstate the death penalty despite strong opposition from the European Union.

Iraq's interim government would first announce an amnesty deal to resistance fighters who had fought US-led occupation forces since last year's invasion but were now ready to lay down their arms, Yawir said.

This move would be followed "by a law on the death penalty," he told reporters in Baghd

Rebekka

posted on Aug, 8 2004 @ 10:08 AM
link   
The headline should read "Iraq Re-instates Death Penalty". They have been planning on doing this since the coalition took over; this was one of the first orders of business for the new government.

Hopefully, one of the first to get the death penalty will be Moqtada Al Sadr; the original arrest warrant for murder should be executed on him.

posted on Aug, 8 2004 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Um, we can do jokes about it....

What did Texas and Iraq have in common before the 2000 presidential election?

An evil ruler that overused the death penalty....

(drum hit)

posted on Aug, 8 2004 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by TM62
Good one Lockheed! He is a Texan afterall. What gives anyone the right to kill anyone else? An unaswerable question I suppose. Don't believe in that one myself, only in cases of personal preservation I guess. What happened to do unto others as you would have them do to you. It is more like do it to them before they have a chance to do it to you.

What about the rights of the people who were murdered? Its funny how the anti-death penalty crowd is always worried about the rights of the killers, yet Hmmmmmmm the victems and thier families recieve little attention.

The death penalty for drug offenses is going overboard IMHO, but not unpresidented in Islamic Countries.

posted on Aug, 8 2004 @ 11:02 AM
link   
The death penalty, used liberally during Saddam's brutal rule, might apply to the captured ex-dictator himself, who stands accused of war crimes and crimes against humanity.

posted on Aug, 8 2004 @ 11:37 AM
link   
The "Texacutioner" strikes again!!!

posted on Aug, 8 2004 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by shanti23
New democratic Iraq is off to a good start.
First no 'bad' news allowed, now the death penalty for drug offences.

I thought Iraq was already using the death penalty anyway - be in the wrong place at the wrong time and get bombed/shot.

The new Iraq and the old Iraq are more alike each day.

Yep, right down to the torture by Iraqi jailers.

Iraqi Jailers abusing prisoners
"Many of these prisoners had bruises and cuts and belt or hose marks all over," Captain Southall said. "I witnessed prisoners who were barely able to walk."

The soldiers freed the prisoners, gave them water and administered first aid. US military police arrived and disarmed the Iraqi policemen, according to Captain Southall.

Colonel Hendrickson led some of the guardsmen into a nearby building and found a room containing "even more prisoners, all in the same sad shape as the prisoners found in the outer area", Captain Southall said. They also found "hoses, broken lamps and chemicals of some variety" that might have been used as torture devices.

posted on Aug, 8 2004 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
The death penalty for drug offenses is going overboard IMHO, but not unpresidented in Islamic Countries.

Well, that's the problem with the death penalty.
It doesn't just get used for the crimes you feel are deserving of it.
Some feel drug use/sales are deserving of the death penalty.
Some want to see it used for sex crimes and there are people who use it for adultery.

[edit on 8-8-2004 by AceOfBase]

posted on Aug, 8 2004 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by AceOfBase
It doesn't just get used for the crimes you feel are deserving of it.
Some feel drug use/sales are deserving of the death penalty.
Some want to see it used for sex crimes and there are people who use it for adultery.

You preaching to the Choir. I only support the dealth penalty for murder with as we put it in the states "special circumstances" That being said, If I fooled around on my wife, I would probably prefer the death penalty to her wrath

posted on Aug, 8 2004 @ 02:48 PM
link   
I have never been a supporter of the death penalty, it is purely legalised murder.

I believe that it will not be long before the "new" Iraqi government employs almost identical punishment and control methods used by Sadam.

posted on Aug, 8 2004 @ 04:11 PM
link   
It will resemble pretty much every other Arab Nation. The Turks used to pull drug deals off trains and blow thier brains out on the spot.

Nothign Unusual there.

We should have left Saddam in power, really. I guess they realize that finally by putting a new Saddam style regime in place. Figures. We realized we #ed up.

posted on Aug, 8 2004 @ 07:15 PM
link   
First Iraqis were under the tyrannical rule of Sadam and his executions and tourturing now we gave them freedom and back the executions but without the tourturing. Right? Freedom indeed.

posted on Aug, 8 2004 @ 09:43 PM
link   
IMO they are using this to try and scare some of the extreamists into submission. A good idea in a way but I highly doubt that its going to work.
If I was ever put in a situation where someone has killed someone close to me id rather see them sit in a cell for the rest of their life with a cell mate named buba that have them put to death, especially the way prisoners seem to be getting treated in Iraq nowadays (tho im sure it was just as bad before the war also). Death is too easy of a way out. Becides If your an Iraqie citizen its more likley your gonna be hit by a stray bullet or missile anyway, than getting murderd by a fellow Iraqie.

posted on Aug, 8 2004 @ 10:15 PM
link   
Tr33stump

That is so true the Iraqi citizens do not need the death penalty they are guetting killed everyday as it is. I wonder what they planning to do exterminate them.

posted on Aug, 9 2004 @ 02:58 AM
link   
In a land where there are many terrorist and people who kill innocent Iraqis on a daily basis the death penalty is a good thing. Plus you have to understand the Muslim culture drugs and other things are not allowed so to them drugs is a big offense. Nevertheless the Death penalty is need if a country wants to be truly democratic and stable.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join